> Help! More Brake Problems!
post Aug 5, 2005 - 5:20 AM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I swear I'll never ever ever do brake work again. This is absolute hell. First I have to rig up custom lines for the rear, then my back brake setup doesn't fit, then I get it to fit and the cables don't work, and now I'm having severe problems with my front brakes.

My front brake setup is as follows:

ST185 dual-piston calipers
ST185 dual-piston caliper brackets
ST184/ST185 Brembo rotors (Part number 25440)

According to what I'd read and what I was told, everything should bolt together. This is not the case. The caliper bracket is so far from being able to reach the bolt holes on the hub. The bracket hits the rotor before it can reach the holes, and is approximately 10mm from reaching the hub bolt holes.

I was told that GT calipers bolt right on to the ST hub...is this true? Because I was also told that the dual-piston calipers will replace the GT calipers. I got the ST184 rotors because I figured they'd be the right size for the calipers. They're 2mm larger in diameter than the ST204 rotors but they're more thin.

Anyone have any ideas as to why nothing fits? I'm about to kill my car. frown.gif

--------------------
New Toyota project coming soon...
post Aug 5, 2005 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

from what i've understood in past conversations coomer....GT calipers dont bolt up to ST hubs.. you'd have to change the hub in order for it to work......

but i think thats what i remember, might wanna get it double checked
post Aug 5, 2005 - 12:20 PM
+Quote Post
creis

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 10, '04
From Shoreline, WA
Currently Offline

you compleatly lost me, what are you actualy doing, I though you where doing a rear drum to disk conv. but now your swapping frunt end parts?

--------------------
IPB Image
post Aug 5, 2005 - 4:17 PM
+Quote Post
Galcobar

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '05
From Richmond, B.C.
Currently Offline

Rears: AT200 drum to ST184 disc.
Front: AT200 disc to ST185 disc.

Not sure if it would help, but there's a thread on celicatech.com that's stickied in the brakes forum on upgrading the fronts and converting the rears.

The only cross-generation conversion I've seen used the sixth-gen GT rear knuckles transplanted to a fifth-gen GT, so that the only bolts that had to be removed are the four connecting the knuckle to the strut, strut rod and suspension arms.

If you need the knuckles, there's a couple guys on celicatech.com who are parting out their cars, and a couple Celicas in a junkyard near me -- though being Canadian the prices are steep.

This post has been edited by Galcobar: Aug 5, 2005 - 4:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 9th, 2024 - 11:45 PM