6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Upgraded Brake Setup (ST185, ST204, AT200 components)
post Feb 26, 2007 - 12:19 AM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I've had some people ask me, so here it is...my notes on my recent (well, at the time I wrote this, it was recent tongue.gif) brake upgrades.

Front Setup
Stock AT200 spindles/hubs and backing plates
OEM ST185 single-piston calipers, caliper brackets, and unknown pads
Brembo ST185 OEM-replacement rotors (part number 25440)
Stock AT200 brake lines

Rear Setup
Stock AT200 spindles/hubs
OEM ST185 backing plates
OEM ST185 internal e-brake components
OEM ST185 e-brake cables
OEM ST185 single-piston calipers
Satisfied ST185 ceramic brake pads
Brembo ST204 OEM-replacement rotors (part number 25162 I think...may have been 25163)
OEM AT200 front brake lines

For the front, the rotors do not fit without modification. The AT200 hub has a center bore that's 54.something mm, 1mm larger than the ST185's center bore. The rotors will slide on, but they won't go all the way flush against the hub, which is how they need to be. I used a drill with a round sanding bit and bored out the rotors. I think it took approximately ten minutes per rotor. Once I did that, the rotors slid on perfectly. Then the caliper and caliper bracket bolt right up. The stock brake lines do get pulled fairly tight if you bolt them to the strut using the factory short bolt. I found a longer bolt and used several spacers between the strut and the brake line mounting tab to give the brake line more slack. This is a temporary fix, as I'm going to get ST204 stainless steel brake lines soon.

For the rears, the ST185 backing plates with the internal e-brake components bolt in just fine. I used the ST185 e-brake cables, with mounted up to the bottom of the car just fine. I do believe I used the cable splitter (that hooks the single cable from the e-brake handle to the two seperate e-brake cables) from the ST185, but I can't remember for sure.

Once the backing plates and internal e-brake components are on, I mounted the rotors and adjusted the e-brake mechanisms so that the rotors locked up equally. The rotors go on just fine. Once the rotors were on, the calipers went right on as well and bolt up just fine. I didn't have the ST185 brake lines, so I used some front AT200 brake lines from a parts car, which work just fine.

I don't abuse my brakes enough (well, at all typically) to notice a huge difference, but my car does stop plenty well, and the few times I've been on high speed canyon road runs I've had no problems whatsoever. If you've got questions, just ask...hopefully this thread will be helpful. smile.gif

By the way, here are a couple pics...the front is from a few days ago, after a couple thousand miles on the brakes. The rear is from a while ago, and now the calipers are painted yellow (the same shade as the car.)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
New Toyota project coming soon...
post Feb 26, 2007 - 12:40 AM
+Quote Post
j0e_p3t

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '05
From torrance/carson, ca
Currently Offline

awesome. i love everything about your car. would it be fair to nominate you for the next featured ride?

--------------------
IPB Image
ss-iii splitters and 404 skirts are on. which means i need to update my sig.
post Feb 26, 2007 - 2:09 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

why not st165 2 piston calipers?

--------------------
post Feb 26, 2007 - 10:41 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

Coomer, did you ever have st204 rear brakes in there before ? or just the drums to st185 ?

I know they are all an upgrade from the at200, but do you know how much of a difference the st185s are from normal st204 brakes ?

also, are you sure the st185 fronts are only single piston ? I thought they were 2 ?

your set up looks good, I like it a lot thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Batman722: Feb 26, 2007 - 10:42 AM

--------------------
post Feb 26, 2007 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

USDM ST185 were only single, JDM used (i think) the same front calipers as the USDM ST165. i found this out while buying a rebuild kit for my calipers i bought here, the guy i go them from got them from a JDM 185 clip he said.

--------------------
post Feb 26, 2007 - 12:03 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

The ST185 single piston calipers and larger rotors are supposedly a better performing option than the ST165 dual piston calipers and smaller rotors. I had both sets of calipers and rotors and chose to go with the larger, supposedly better performing option.

From what I've heard, some early ST185s came with the dual piston calipers and smaller rotors, probably because Toyota had leftover calipers and wanted to use them up. My single piston calipers are actually from a JDM ST185.

And Batman, the ST185 and ST204 brakes, both front and rear, are very, very similar from what I've read. I doubt there's any performance difference between them at all.

--------------------
New Toyota project coming soon...
post Feb 26, 2007 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

well i'm putting st165 calipers on rotors about the same diameter as ST rotors. currently the calipers are single piston and just a fraction smaller than ST single pistons. in your humble opinion, think it'll make a lick of difference?

--------------------
post Dec 25, 2010 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Do the ST185 Dual Piston front Brake Calipers have the same set of brake pads that come on the SS-III dual piston brake calipers??? I'm currently waiting for measurements from nsxtypeR on the SS-III Dual Piston Brake Pads to see if I can buy the brake pad setup from the ST185 dual piston calipers. The only option for buying brake pads for the SS-III calipers are from Japan and they aren't cheap. At least $180 and up for front brake pads alone!!!

also I've read up and confirmed on the TRD website that the ST165 dual piston and ST185 Dual Piston Calipers use the same brake pads. But the part numbers for the ST185 and ST202 brake pads don't even come close???!!

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 25, 2010 - 9:26 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 25, 2010 - 10:32 PM
+Quote Post
bccentaur3

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 29, '07
From Hoyt Lakes, MN
Currently Offline

only the earlier jdm st185s came with twin pot calipers. Which are essentially the same calipers as the st165s. Rotors are too small (255mm). I'm sure the ss-III calipers are a different twin pot calipers. because correct if I'm wrong they use the 277mm rotors the st204/202 uses.

--------------------
98 Celica gt red- totaled deer
94 Celica st black DD (bad weather beater)- totaled deer
95 Celica gt silver- chassis sold
88 Celica All-Trac (Burned to a crisp)
94 Celica gt white (sold)

In need of a rust free chassis!!!!
post Dec 26, 2010 - 1:47 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

oh alright then. Yea my guess is that the ST202 SS-III Dual Piston Calipers are better performing than the ST185 and ST165. But I just need the brake pads length, width and height!!

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 27, 2010 - 3:31 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Well here it is. Now all I need is the measurements for the ST185 dual piston brake pads please!!!

SS-III Brake Pad Measurements :

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 27, 2010 - 3:33 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 27, 2010 - 4:06 AM
+Quote Post
nsxtypeR

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 3, '06
From The Netherlands
Currently Offline

Some more pictures:

SSIII brakepad surface:

Sideview of the pad. This one is close to brand new,only done around 1000 km:

This post has been edited by nsxtypeR: Dec 27, 2010 - 4:07 AM

--------------------
JDM ST205

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:05 PM