> Fitting an oil catch tank to 3SGE BEAMS
post Feb 1, 2009 - 8:37 AM
+Quote Post
Ronan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 3, '08
From Ireland
Currently Offline

I was looking at how an oil catch tank would fit in my car today as i have one on the way to stop all the oily crap from the breathers going back into the intake, and i got a bit lost because ive two breathers.

Do i remove and fit the catch tank to the yellow breather or green breather?

Or would i blank off both intake ends and fit the catch tank to both breathers on the engine?

Ignore the blue circle, i was missing a bracket but i found it in the boot

This post has been edited by Ronan: Feb 1, 2009 - 8:38 AM

--------------------
post Feb 1, 2009 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
RavenAegis45

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '08
From CA
Currently Offline

well first off let me give you props on your BEAMS 3S-GE, i never seen the actual valve cover of one of these till now just the red cover they have over them. my thanks for that one =)

Now back to the subject at hand. you do have a predicament but I would say just hook the Catch tank to the main one between the Intake piping and the valve cover. the smaller one doesnt seem like it;ll do all that much really
post Feb 4, 2009 - 3:55 PM
+Quote Post
Buffalo

Enthusiast

Joined May 24, '08
From Limassol, Cyprus
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Ronan @ Feb 1, 2009 - 9:37 AM) *
I was looking at how an oil catch tank would fit in my car today as i have one on the way to stop all the oily crap from the breathers going back into the intake, and i got a bit lost because ive two breathers.

Do i remove and fit the catch tank to the yellow breather or green breather?

Or would i blank off both intake ends and fit the catch tank to both breathers on the engine?

Ignore the blue circle, i was missing a bracket but i found it in the boot

to the yellow one... as you can see there is a pcv valve that opens only when oil gets to a higher presure into the valve cover to allow the burned oil to escape formed as gas going into your intake to recycle....
post Feb 4, 2009 - 5:17 PM
+Quote Post
Sinyk

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 4, '06
From Kelowna, BC Canada
Currently Offline

Do catch cans make a big difference? I've read that apart from keeping your intake cleaner, it can essentially increase power by removing this byproduct from the air in the combustion chamber, increase engine life and a few other things. I always wondered what the purpose of these things were so I was just curious.

Also, I found this while googleing:

a DIY catchcan: http://www.910bluebird.com/catchcan.php

--------------------
post Feb 4, 2009 - 10:52 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

theres this one local ae86 owner who is using an oriental drink can for his oil catch can.. so you can virtually use anything really. for race applications, there are oil catch cans with built in manometers to keep track of oil levels. but the additional benefits gained from having an oil catch can is pretty much negligible. unwanted gases are generally not good for the valve train and pretty much everything else inside so engineers made the pcv valve to continuously release these gases to the intake system to burn off.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Feb 5, 2009 - 12:13 AM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

ok, the yellow is a fresh air supply to your crankcase, while the green is your PCV line. since the green is going to your manifold, it will see vacuum and you want tp place the catch can between your crankcase and a vacuum source to get the whole "positive" ventilation.

so to answer you. use it on the green line, and leave the yellow in place

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

1994 GT: V6 swap, 5speed E53 W/ LSD, All Power, now RED
1995 ST: SOLD @273k miles, Auto, all power, CarPC, White
1994 ST: Totaled, 5spd, all power, Red RIP 07/09/09 @ 241,810
1994 Lexus LS400: This is my new DD
post Sep 30, 2009 - 11:42 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

which one did you end up using, and did you get codes

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Feb 17, 2011 - 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

how do you connect the oil catch tank to the beams motor???

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 18, 2011 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

I wouldn't 'attach' it to the motor, I'd find some room in the enginebay for it to sit, and make up a bracket. Turn the PCV around (that goes into the intake manifold) the same way as the one that goes into the intake pipe. run 2 hoses into your oilcatch tank, and either vent to atmosphere or plumb back. (and just bung up the old lines into the manifold/inake pipe you dont use.)

--------------------
post Feb 18, 2011 - 4:18 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Feb 5, 2009 - 12:13 AM) *
ok, the yellow is a fresh air supply to your crankcase, while the green is your PCV line. since the green is going to your manifold, it will see vacuum and you want tp place the catch can between your crankcase and a vacuum source to get the whole "positive" ventilation.

so to answer you. use it on the green line, and leave the yellow in place

actually, you'd want it on the yellow line, between the valve cover and the intake piping.

that hose that is connected from the valve cover to the intake piping is always under vac, pulling combustion gasses out and thru the intake, back into the intake manifold.
its just like a 3rd gen 3sgte, only the 'te has the factory catch can built in, that drains the collected oil back into the head.

'berto, if you set it up like i explain above, you will no throw any codes, because it still is working like a factory setup, just with a spot to collect the spent oil and gasses, insead of it going back into the intake manifold.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Feb 18, 2011 - 9:33 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

wow I'm confused as all hell!? frown.gif

Ok so the Oil Catch Tank has Two lines that you can attach to it. So what I have to do is Attach one hose from the PCV Valve back the the oil catch tank. Then you attach the other line from the catch can to the intake manifold, right. So that it will filter out any oil before it gets to the intake manifold. I also just fitted an 3 inch piping K&N filter so that line that was running from the exhaust to the intake piping is just sitting at the end of the engine. what do I do with this line??? :

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 18, 2011 - 10:41 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

no.
that hose you have circled goes to the catch can, then a line from the catch can to the intake piping, BEFORE the throttle body.

--------------------

post Feb 18, 2011 - 11:53 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

i feel pretty dumb for asking this but can you use the pic i just posted and draw the lines with paint to show me exactly how I'm supposed to connect it. please!

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 19, 2011 - 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

--------------------

post Feb 19, 2011 - 12:27 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

run 2 hoses into your oilcatch tank, and either vent to atmosphere or plumb back. (and just bung up the old lines into the manifold/inake pipe you dont use.)

paint thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Feb 19, 2011 - 1:19 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

laugh.gif haha thanks guys thats funny. But who do I trust Rusty the Top Tier Celca Enthusiast or Derrick the guys who's been helping me with my celica for the past weekend. what pic do I go off off? Rusty's Or Masked Man. Oh derrick you already know that my custom short ram intake on the beams motor doesn't have a breather whole on it.

I believe the way that Rusty is doing it seems more logical to me! and probably right.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Feb 19, 2011 - 1:26 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 19, 2011 - 2:24 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

Apparently that just makes me a lower tier Celica enthusiast then rolleyes.gif

The way I drew the picture is the same way that Presure2 just explained it to you, and how I've been installing oil catch tanks myself. The reasons I don't agree with Rusty's drawing is because he capped off a constant vacuum port on the intake manifold, and because of that, you have no longer have vacuum pulling out crankcase pressure from the valve cover.

Also, have you already purchased your oil catch tank?

edit: If your custom intake does not have a nipple on it for you to attach a hose onto, then you either get one welded on, or just vent to the atmosphere.

This post has been edited by MaskedMan: Feb 19, 2011 - 2:33 AM

--------------------

post Feb 19, 2011 - 3:05 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

Actually, wait! I'm stupid. I want to change parties and agree with stephen lee on this laugh.gif

edit: Ok, after rethinking it, I retract my previous picture because of the following reasons.

Before, I was comparing it to the 3rd gen 3sgte, and how it has it's oil catch tank installed. So that's how I drew the picture. The difference is that the 3sgte is a FI engine, so the intake manifold pressure will be greater than atmospheric pressure under boost. This would cause air from the intake manifold to be forced into the crankcase, and out the other line that leads from the valve cover, to the intake before the throttle body. So in that case, crankcase pressure and oil will be coming out of the "yellow" hose. I've never installed an oil catch can in an N/A car, which is why I never 2nd guessed this before. But using the GREEN hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold on this 3sge beams makes the most sense to me now, since it will constantly be pulling in vacuum from the valve cover, so this is where most of your oil would be coming from. The way I drew it up above would work too, and nether way would throw any sort of code, but the way I drew it below will be your best option. Sorry, it's been a really long rainy day. I apologize for the confusion earlier, but here is the new picture I just drew.

This post has been edited by MaskedMan: Feb 19, 2011 - 3:43 AM

--------------------

post Feb 19, 2011 - 7:22 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

you should never remove the PCV valve, its there for a reason.
its job is to stop back flow into the crankcase, so no, the crankcase never sees boost in an FI application.

why you wanna install a catch can on a na car is beyond me anyway...if your spitting oil into your intake with an na car, you have bigger problems that wont be solved by a catch can.

--------------------

post Feb 20, 2011 - 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

hmm I don't think I will be installing an oil catch tank after all. Its more for engine bling in the engine bay. Even the member maikl the 6gc member who inspired me to want a beams so badly only has a catch tank attached to the vent whole that comes from the exhaust side cams. Which I believe I'll just let it vent into the atmosphere, or I'll just make my own custom catch tank so the oil filter's into it.

--------------------
For Sale Items:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 11th, 2024 - 3:12 AM