Joined Jul 29, '07
From Quebec, Canada
Currently Offline

I already have a 1994 rev 3 3sgte celica

But I would like to know if
it would be pain in the arshe to
- buy a cheap (9K$) st205 RHD
-buy a junkyard celica gt (1K$) LHD
and convert it to lhd with an used LHD celica (not mine wink.gif) ??

I think it would be an easy way to have a LHD AWD 6gen at a moderate price!

This question is because I don't know much about the LHD conversion of a car and looks like no member has done it before.
Is there any reason?

This post has been edited by domyz: May 5, 2009 - 3:58 PM
post May 5, 2009 - 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

doGGy did it on a 98 GT4.. all i remember him saying was that it was a pain in the @$$.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post May 5, 2009 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
domyz

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 29, '07
From Quebec, Canada
Currently Offline

its sure that you have to be good in electronics, but the dash framing would likely to be bolt-on inside... correct me if im wrong
post May 7, 2009 - 10:49 AM
+Quote Post
reko

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '07
From Montreal, QC, Canada
Currently Offline

faudrait tu swap la crémailliere et tout le kit a cause que le volant et pu du meme coté... donc de ta colone a ta crémailliere ca fit pu a meme place du devrais prendre celle de la GT et a cause de ca tu devrais changer tout les tabs, crossmember etc pcq cest pas le meme design et rendu la, est-ce que ca va fitter?

ca doit etre une crisse de chiar!! et meme a ca, le char reste jdm donc pas plus plaquable tongue.gif

--------------------

post May 7, 2009 - 4:09 PM
+Quote Post
domyz

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 29, '07
From Quebec, Canada
Currently Offline

toute facon une direction cest bolt-on sur le frame, je parlais avec une jdm deja plaquée... mais en fin de conte jme suis faite dire que c'est illegal de percer le firewall et d'y amener des modifs
post May 7, 2009 - 5:24 PM
+Quote Post
Iceman22

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 16, '08
From Norway
Currently Offline

Could someone answer in English please? smile.gif
I also wonder if it will be possible. I want to take out a GT4 engine that is RHD and put the engine to my LHD Celica. The engine itself will not be a problem as I can see, but the electronics etc.. will be a problem because it's on the wrong side?
Could someone please explain if it is possible, and will it be VERY much work to get it done?

--------------------
- Celica ST202 w/ JDM 3S-GE 180HP (Special LE Subaru Blue steel paint!)
- A video of my car, before & after: Click here
post May 7, 2009 - 5:34 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

si vous achetez un st205, vous pourriez faire la suivante:
apres avoir changer le firewall et toutes les autres pieces necessaires en LHD, vous pourriez garder le numero de VIN. la plaque VIN est la seule chose que les agents des compagnies d'assurances vont examiner, et non pas le code sur le firewall de la voiture (seulement si ils pensent que la voiture est JDM). en meme temps le numero de VIN que vous utiliseriez doit etre actif, ou au moins en etat "salvageable"... pardon my french. malheureusement le celica qui etait LHD ne pourrait jamais etre enregistrer sans une VIN valide. notez que cet procedure est quand meme illegal.

--------------------
post May 7, 2009 - 5:40 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Iceman22 @ May 7, 2009 - 5:24 PM) *
I also wonder if it will be possible. I want to take out a GT4 engine that is RHD and put the engine to my LHD Celica. The engine itself will not be a problem as I can see, but the electronics etc.. will be a problem because it's on the wrong side?
Could someone please explain if it is possible, and will it be VERY much work to get it done?

what you're looking at is basically a 3rd gen 3sgte swap. however this thread focuses on converting a RHD st205 to lhd.
but to answer your question, the electronics won't be a problem. despite the few things that may need to be rewired, you would just have to extend the engine harness so it goes through the factory grommet on your firewall. otherwise just make a new hole through your firewall and you won't need to extend the engine harness. being rhd or lhd has no impact to your 3sgte swap besides that.

--------------------
post May 7, 2009 - 5:59 PM
+Quote Post
Iceman22

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 16, '08
From Norway
Currently Offline

QUOTE (azian_advanced @ May 7, 2009 - 6:40 PM) *
QUOTE (Iceman22 @ May 7, 2009 - 5:24 PM) *

what you're looking at is basically a 3rd gen 3sgte swap. however this thread focuses on converting a RHD st205 to lhd.
but to answer your question, the electronics won't be a problem. despite the few things that may need to be rewired, you would just have to extend the engine harness so it goes through the factory grommet on your firewall. otherwise just make a new hole through your firewall and you won't need to extend the engine harness. being rhd or lhd has no impact to your 3sgte swap besides that.

I see, good to hear that. Every auto repair shop I spooke to about that said it will be a very hard job, and couldn't guarantee that the electronics will work for a longer period of time etc..
But I hope you have right, do you have any sources that confirm this? And I forgot to ask, I also consider to change the drive shaft from FWD to 4WD from the GT4, will this be very hard to fix?

This post has been edited by Iceman22: May 7, 2009 - 6:00 PM

--------------------
post May 7, 2009 - 7:55 PM
+Quote Post
domyz

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 29, '07
From Quebec, Canada
Currently Offline

ok thanks azian but, if you are asked to go to your province/state inspection for any reason: FM intercooler-illegal exhaust system-car crash, your vehicule wont pass it.
you have lost 10000$

This post has been edited by domyz: May 7, 2009 - 7:56 PM
post May 8, 2009 - 1:54 AM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

in MB, we don't have nearly as strict laws.. the only inspection is it has to pass 'safety' so brakes, alignment, body (no rust holes), etc. they could care less about the mods on the cars. the police used to ticket everyone with euro lights, exhaust etc a few years ago but they slowly stopped because of the number of so called tuners. the import scene here is pretty intense.. you come out on a sunday which we refer to as 'cruise night' and you'll see everyone with FM intercoolers, aftermarket exhaust, etc etc.

--------------------
post May 8, 2009 - 6:06 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Its really not rocket science to swap firewalls....

Doggy and I have both done it.

It requires a LOT of drilling out tack welds along certain seams in order to remove it. As well as removing the OEM seam sealant material which is the biggest challenge of it all.

Once all the welds have been drilled you can pull out the firewall (its very stuck in there) and replace it with the new wall. Then weld it into place and seal + paint

99% of the electronics come with the front cut as well as the RHD hardware.

the worst part about my swap was that most the metal had rust on it and had to be sandblasted.
post May 8, 2009 - 6:31 PM
+Quote Post
JDMDWS

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 14, '08
From Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Currently Offline

I'm think you come from Québec...(french).

you probably see the news laws... ( AM-2009-05)

for those don't know, the Quebec ban new comming RHD from the road, effective date 29 april 2009 ( the one already on the road keep is right) this thing is for 180 days.... after nobody know...

if you read french go to APVIQ.com or the english Canadien site IVOAC.com

i got the same troubles, my car ( Celica st-205 WRC edition) was on the boat, suppose to be here on july and i don't want them to be cut or modify to be lhd....but if a have no choise..

good luck and keep us inform if you do the conversion....maybe i have to do the same project.... kindasad.gif

JDMDWS

post May 12, 2009 - 3:35 PM
+Quote Post
Kardboard

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 14, '03
From VANCITY Canada
Currently Offline

I thought they were just banning any more new imports of RHD vehicles? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm watching that closely as I'm in BC, and we have a LOT of JDM cars now. Lots of Delicas, GT-Rs, you name it. Yet to see an ST205 yet, and I hope to be one of the first this summer! smile.gif

The conversion seems to be a royal pain...
post May 21, 2009 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
KAOS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '06
From Calgary, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Kardboard @ May 12, 2009 - 2:35 PM) *
I thought they were just banning any more new imports of RHD vehicles? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm watching that closely as I'm in BC, and we have a LOT of JDM cars now. Lots of Delicas, GT-Rs, you name it. Yet to see an ST205 yet, and I hope to be one of the first this summer! smile.gif

The conversion seems to be a royal pain...

I get to play with 3 ST205's here in Calgary... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
post May 21, 2009 - 1:40 PM
+Quote Post
chode

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '07
From canada,montreal
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JDMDWS @ May 8, 2009 - 7:31 PM) *
I'm think you come from Québec...(french).

you probably see the news laws... ( AM-2009-05)

for those don't know, the Quebec ban new comming RHD from the road, effective date 29 april 2009 ( the one already on the road keep is right) this thing is for 180 days.... after nobody know...

if you read french go to APVIQ.com or the english Canadien site IVOAC.com

i got the same troubles, my car ( Celica st-205 WRC edition) was on the boat, suppose to be here on july and i don't want them to be cut or modify to be lhd....but if a have no choise..

good luck and keep us inform if you do the conversion....maybe i have to do the same project.... kindasad.gif

JDMDWS

im also from mtl (french)
i had the same plan as you,
if you apend to start it, id like to be part of if
to help mysefl when ill be there (the new law is such a pain)
http://www.alertejdm.com/

--------------------
post Jun 12, 2009 - 7:09 PM
+Quote Post
Iceman22

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 16, '08
From Norway
Currently Offline

I also consider to swap from rhd to lhd on mine st205, but I spoke to a guy doing this kind of job and he said that if the car was a japan made (like I got) and not European, then it would not be possible to change to lhd? He didn't explain why, has someone heard about that?

This post has been edited by Iceman22: Jun 12, 2009 - 7:09 PM

--------------------
post Jun 26, 2009 - 6:45 AM
+Quote Post
FORGMANN

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 11, '04
From WI
Currently Offline

This guy in Netherlands converted his ST205 to LHD. On Netherlands celica forum there is a build thread but most
pictures are gone since thread is older.. see his profile for a few pics.. btw hasn't been active since 02/2008

http://www.6gc.net/members/bacertune

Best way to complete is by having a complete parts car.. can use a st202 for 95% of parts

all st205's can be converted ..easier to do in Europe since have access to some LHD parts.

--------------------
Old guy with the toys
95 ST205 WRC (the real deal)
94 MR2 HARDTOP Supercharged 2GR/6SPD 22 owned
post Jun 26, 2009 - 8:57 AM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

bacertune's RHD to LHD conversion pics are located here: Project Celica GT4 ST205 WRC.

the hardest part is sourcing a LHD st205 steering rack

--------------------
post Jun 26, 2009 - 9:03 AM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Jun 26, 2009 - 8:57 AM) *
bacertune's RHD to LHD conversion pics are located here: Project Celica GT4 ST205 WRC.

the hardest part is sourcing a LHD st205 steering rack

as an alternative, a regular GT / ST rack can be used, but that also means using the whole front suspension for a GT / ST

if I was to do this in the US, that's a sacrify I can live with.

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 9:40 PM