6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DIY: install factory cruise control in a non cruise equiped car, everything u need to know! lots of pics
post Jul 12, 2009 - 7:10 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

well i finally got it done, what is needed for this project are these parts. cruise contol actuator(under hood, and behind gas pedal) wiring harness, brake pedal switch, cruise control computer (CCM), cruise control steering wheel switch and switch cover, SRS clock ring (located behind steering wheel), combination meter with cruise light bulb ( or make your own like i did) well thats all the parts, its not a very expensive job, i maybe spent 75 dollars total on this swap. but it is VERY time consuming. lots of fun stuff to wire in, well here goes nothing... first off install all the little bits and pieces of the system, dnt worry about the wiring just yet. get all the hard part mounted up. once thats all done the fun begins, start by removing the lower drivers dash, glove box, center consoule, water fall trim, and the instrument cluster. (remove the steering wheel if you havnt already installed your new clock ring and cruise switch. the removal and instalation is pretty straight forweard for those parts. all u will need is a short and standard length philips screw driver, and a 10 & 12 mm socket and ratchet. first part of the wiring is the actuator in the engine bay, the wires run under the rad. support to the drivers side inner fender, then into the grommet on the firewall inside the drivers fender, the next step is to drill the mounting holes for the gas pedal actuator, using a 9/32 drill bit, dril the 2 mounting holes in the center of the tar paper punch outs. MAKE SURE TO DRILL SHALLOW!!! one of the mounting holes goes right behind your brake proportioning valve. then using the origional bolts, mount the actuator. then your off to that crazy looking wiring harness. all of the wiring notes, and locations are listed in the pictures below, as well as the toyota diagram for the cruise system. enjoy, and happy cruisin!

sry for the stupidly small print, download the image and blow it up to see writen txt

PDF file from toyota service manual: please e-mail me with a request for this file, and i will reply back with the requested information.

This post has been edited by Ryouxrs: Jul 12, 2009 - 7:15 PM

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Jul 12, 2009 - 10:07 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

wow, dude if this works, props to you. it really is a great task.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 12, 2009 - 11:53 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 12, 2009 - 9:07 PM) *
wow, dude if this works, props to you. it really is a great task.

lol, it does work, very well actually, i've been using it all night so far. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Jul 13, 2009 - 6:24 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

just out of curiosity. what was the total cost. 75 seems like too little.... unless you got lucky...

VOTE for sticky

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 13, 2009 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 13, 2009 - 5:24 AM) *
just out of curiosity. what was the total cost. 75 seems like too little.... unless you got lucky...

VOTE for sticky

actually thanks to pick and save in aurora colorado (basically like pick your part in CA.) for all the parts i paid 49 dollars including tax, and the brake pedal switch was 23.50 so im actually under 75 dollars.

This post has been edited by Ryouxrs: Jul 13, 2009 - 10:48 AM

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Jul 13, 2009 - 2:24 PM
+Quote Post
Ruroniarc

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 19, '09
From Malden, MA
Currently Offline

I really want to do this to my car. Could you give a detailed list of parts that I need off of the other car, and where I can find them in the car. If I'm putting cruise in an ST, do I need cruise parts from an ST? Are there any parts that I have to buy new? Thanks for the right up, I hope to do this soon.
post Jul 13, 2009 - 2:30 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

ok, send me an e-mail to my hotmail, and ill send you the pdf file, it shows all the locations for the parts, yes if u have an st, then your parts need to come out of an st. u can get all these parts used out of a yard if u want, the major system parts are the guage cluster, if u want to get it, i showed how to make your own, the actuator under the hood, and behind the gas pedal, the CCM,(Cruise Control computer) the steering wheel switch, and airbag clock ring, the brake light switch, and the wiring harness that connects it all

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Aug 11, 2009 - 5:02 PM
+Quote Post
Ruroniarc

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 19, '09
From Malden, MA
Currently Offline

Hey, do you know if it matters whether or not the parts come off of an auto or a manual car? I would think they would be the same, but I'm not positive. Also, if you have cruise on and you press the clutch, the cruise shuts off, right?
post Aug 11, 2009 - 9:48 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

yes, the cruse sytems are the same for manual or auto cars, but if u put an auto cars cruise into a manual, u just dnt use 2 of the wires, and yes if you follow the diagram, when u hit the clutch, the cruise will shut off

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Sep 7, 2009 - 1:16 PM
+Quote Post
eduardorq

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 24, '07
From Canary Islands (Spain)
Currently Offline

wooooooOWWWW..!!! very nice mod information... i've want to install the cruise control since i bought my celica

congratulations Ryours.!!

--------------------
post Sep 11, 2009 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

Fcuk - guess I need to get around to doing this with my 3S-GTE too - I have all the parts except the actuator anyway. I'll update any differences from yours to the 3S-GTE once I get mine done.
x2 for sticky

--------------------

ENGINE: '93 RC 3S-GTE/WRC CT-20b [18-20PSI]
PERF: TRD/HKS/ARP/NGK/MSD/ACT/Blitz/STRI/APEX'i/TwosRus/GReddy/Magnaflo/KOYO
SUSP: Tein/Bilstein/SusTech/
INT: SS-III SEATS/Toyota Hyper Sports
EXT: WRC/TRD/404
QUOTE (lagos @ Aug 25, 2010 - 10:13 AM) *
Its a safety feature so that people like you don't end up killing themselves or everyone around them.
Slow down Paul Walker.

6GC Chat - Go there: [url="http://www.griffgirl.com/forum/chat/index.php[/url]
post Oct 18, 2009 - 1:49 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

thanks death, and ya, its pretty much the same for the 7a, and 5s except for the actuator under the hood, and 2 extra wires for the auto tranny cars, but id deff like to have info on the 3s also, make it a complete instal spread for all the models, and engines

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Sep 21, 2010 - 2:27 AM
+Quote Post
Makabra

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 16, '10
From Poland
Currently Offline

I want to know if i buy cc from RHD car, will it fit to a LHD ? Also are there any differences between cc in 3sge and 7afe? Do i have to buy a cc exactly from the same car spec as mine?
post Oct 3, 2010 - 9:46 AM
+Quote Post
Makabra

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 16, '10
From Poland
Currently Offline

Anyone?smile.gif
post Oct 3, 2010 - 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

you would have to extend the wiring for the lhd/rhd swap and runit a lil diff. but it will work, and 3s, and 7a's have completely diff cruise control systems, but its controlled by a seperate module. so just find the input wires on the other ecu, and instrument cluster, and you can make it work sice our cruise controls actuate the gas pedal directly

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Oct 3, 2010 - 1:28 PM
+Quote Post
Makabra

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 16, '10
From Poland
Currently Offline

Thanks for the tip !:) Maybe You have any photos of actuator placement in 3sge?
post Oct 6, 2010 - 7:00 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

unfort i dnt frown.gif dnt have one to dig into and find all the part placements

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post May 18, 2013 - 12:55 PM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

Ok everyone ive got an update, ive made it work with the 3s swap! the only difference is the blue and white wire from the
cruise control module now needs to be spliced into the tps black and white wire at ecu pin a11. Connector "a" is the small center ecu connector. other than that the rest of the wiring is the same as the previous write up. the 7a cruise actuator wont fit if you have abs. if so use and actuator out of a gt model. any further questions, post up!

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------
post Oct 21, 2013 - 3:54 AM
+Quote Post
Makabra

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 16, '10
From Poland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Ryouxrs @ May 18, 2013 - 12:55 PM) *
Ok everyone ive got an update, ive made it work with the 3s swap! the only difference is the blue and white wire from the
cruise control module now needs to be spliced into the tps black and white wire at ecu pin a11. Connector "a" is the small center ecu connector. other than that the rest of the wiring is the same as the previous write up. the 7a cruise actuator wont fit if you have abs. if so use and actuator out of a gt model. any further questions, post up!

Hey, did You also got 7afe cruise computer for 3s swap? Im after a CC to my european 3sge, and Im looking into some cruise diagram ( postet in other thread by batman722 ), but non of the cabels maches above picture posted by You smile.gif I'm assuming 7afe and 5sfe are totaly diferent ccm's?
Is below diagram for 5sfe ( 2.2 liter engine ) ?

Another question about clutch sensor. Do I need only one clutch sensor to work with CC? >> SWITCH ASSY, CLUTCH 88280-14030

This post has been edited by Makabra: Oct 21, 2013 - 4:29 AM
post Oct 21, 2013 - 6:49 AM
+Quote Post
Ryouxrs

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Longmont, CO.
Currently Offline

Yes, I am useing the 7a setup on my 3s as the system was installed when I still had my 7a. I'm not sure on the physical differences of the 5s vs. 7a in car. I know the under hood actuators are very different. As for your clutch switch there should only be one wire. When I am home from work this evening I will post up the 7a diagram I have so you can use as a comparison if the one you posted is any different. I can tell you for sure that the CCM from auto to manual from either 7a or 5s are the same part numbers so it maybe just as simple as different components for the different standard engines. If I ever get a chance to play with a 5s's cruise system ill be sure to post it here. I hope this helps!

--------------------
Lift Addict!! ^_^
----------------------

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 11th, 2024 - 3:14 AM