> How To: USDM to JDM Non-Airbag Steering wheel
post Oct 11, 2010 - 11:24 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

As everyone know, I bought a JDM non-airbag steering wheel. I also got the JDM wiper and headlight holder from Manny (pressure2). I thought it was going to be so hard to convert that whole thing, but it wasn't. Here's the write up on how to do it. (sorry for the bad cell phone pics)
There are 3 different of the White pieces (if anyone knows the name I'll change it).

JDM: (hole is on the bottom, middle)

USDM 94-95: (hole is on the bottom, right)

USDM 96-99: (not the whole thing, but the hole is on the bottom, left)

This conversion is pretty simple, none the less. Even though I thought it was going to be terribly hard at first.
On the JDM piece, there is a metal tab in the middle on the bottom. Turn the whole piece over and find the rest of the tab on the back side. That should be simple enough.
Then you have to pull the two connections apart. (make sure you don't lose the spring!)

Once the spring is out, take the plastic piece that you have from your car, and put the metal tab through the hole one yours. After it's through, reconnect the two piece and crimp it together with a pair of needle nose pliers. After that you just have to splice into the horn wire. For the 94-95 ones, there are 3 clips coming from the steering column. The horn wire is on the smallest clip (the gray one) and the wire color is green. Just splice the wire from the tab into that green wire, and then reassemble everything back together and there you go! Your conversion is done.

Here are just some other pictures I took:

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Also, sorry for not having any pictures of me splicing into the horn wire, I haven't gotten that far myself yet lol Wil post once done!

Finished picture: (phone quality, will get a better one!)

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Oct 11, 2010 - 12:13 PM
post Oct 11, 2010 - 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
cyprus_gt

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '09
From Cyprus
Currently Offline

Nice job mate!!!
Where is the the photo of the steering wheel after the instalation wink.gif

cheers

--------------------
post Oct 11, 2010 - 12:14 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Just put it up! haha
post Aug 4, 2015 - 1:14 PM
+Quote Post
mi645

Enthusiast
Joined May 23, '12
From northridge,CA
Currently Offline

What exactly has to be replaced? The whole assembly? What do i need from the jdm wiper and turn signal assy, to convert the wheel.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 9th, 2024 - 1:25 AM