> Insurance Says Total Loss, Thoughts?
post Jan 2, 2016 - 5:43 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

Well, never did I think I would be writing one of "these" posts. Regardless, I am still waiting on some final numbers from the insurance company. News to anyone, if your going to get in to any kind of accident, don't do it on a holiday period, it just seems to make it worse. In all fairness, my insurance company has been working with me (this far), so I cant really write them off yet.
Anyhow, how this happened was an error on my part mostly. I was leaving work, there is a left turn merge lane right on the main road. The truck in front of me was stopped, so I looked over my left and spotted a clear spot. I looked at the truck and they were starting to go, so I check left one more time. A car was coming up, but there was plenty of room for both myself and the truck. Considering he was already going I eased into acceleration. When I looked forward the truck had slammed on their brakes (keep in mind there was room to make the merge), I hit mine and we had a rough 5-8 MPH collision.
Granted I hit him, so no matter what I'm at fault.
We exchanged information and I drove home. It probably doesn't help that he told me he could of made it, cause "V8 an all", but decided not to at the last second. I was more upset with myself for not assuring that he decided to go, even though he gave every indication that he was (as in starting to pull out). Long story short, his giant ass truck is fine and the Celica took the beating.
After talking to the insurance company for two days (holidays and what not) I was informed that they deemed the Celica a total loss. Now, I am still waiting on the payout estimate to decide on what I'm going to do. I don't plan on it being much due to the age and mileage (263k), and currently there is only one Celica at any dealership that's within 75 miles (goes for 4200, less 50k miles).
So I figured I'd take to here to get some opinions on what to do. The hood and bumper cover is shot, high beams exploded, and the upper radiator support is bent (along with headlight supports)...its amazing what running under a truck will do when it hits just right. Anyhow here are the pics, and I would appreciate your thoughts (especially those that have been though this). Granted im still awaiting to hear back from my insurance.

Thanks!
post Jan 2, 2016 - 6:56 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Insurance totaled it because of the cost to repair the car. Estomated 2-3k minimun. Labor and second hand parts. I have my celi with liability. Because of course to them it will always be a loss. Your options are to eat the repair yourself. Or total it and buy back for less. Use the money to repair.

Damage wise it seems easy to fix. Greendemon had similar damage.

Oh an i forgot. Time for a 3sgte clip

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 2, 2016 - 7:14 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

If i could find a clip and get it done in two months. Kinda waiting on what insurance says in regards to payment i guess.
post Jan 2, 2016 - 7:32 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Similar damage this time year. Fought State Farm and got the car fixed. $3,500 in damage but because I had all my receipts, my payout was much higher. Kept the car, kept a clean title, and still have full coverage.

It's easiest for insurance to tell you your car is totaled, give you a tiny check and tell you to go away but you know their first offer is far from their final offer.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 2, 2016 - 7:55 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

So you were able to tack on costs of modifications?
post Jan 2, 2016 - 11:55 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Yes, with a little persuasion.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 3, 2016 - 9:41 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Ouch. Doesn't look bad.

They do that total loss ****, because of the front crash bar. They assume it's "frame damage"

I only got 2800 for my ST but I also had recipts for all my mods.

I think gave have 1300 for the car itself.

That's when I got the GT wink.gif

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 3, 2016 - 9:42 AM
post Jan 3, 2016 - 10:00 AM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

They didn't ask for pics of the upper radiator support. I was asked to send in the damage from the outside, and if they required additional pics they would get a hold of me. I read the report that was filed. All that was included was the bumper, the hood (unable to locate a 205 replacement), and for some reason the fenders. All of that racked up a little over 2k. I'm sure if they saw the radiator support and included the high beams the report would of had been a greater amount.
My issue is that I don't have receipts for everything (the hood and seat was paid for with cash). Everything else I can track through paypal though.
I'm kind of in a hard spot because I need to have an operable vehicle within two months (got a good drive to make to Florida, then back, then up to Jersey), but time is limited for me to fix this.

Then there is the issue of what kind of title I'll be rolling with. Currently the car is registered in Tennessee and I can only find information regarding a "Salvage-Rebuilt Title" for cars less than 10 years old.
post Jan 3, 2016 - 2:54 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Similar nonsense with my Miata, I wanted them to throw on used panels in matching paint and call it a day but the way laws are written to protect you more often than not it causes more issues. Most states if the damage repair cost exceeds 70% of the car's retail value they'll total it. Another thing it's just easier for insurance to total a vehicle than to have one repaired and then have the possibility of the victim not signing off on the work because it's "not as it was" before the accident. Most states insurance is required to settle a claim within 30-45 days.

The only thing I'd know to tell you is shop around on body shops for estimates and attempt to find comparable vehicles being for sale at dealerships for high prices to try and show that "Hey, it'll cost more to replace than you thought". It'd be shame since it appears the damage isn't even that severe.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 3, 2016 - 3:26 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

I really haven't torn it down yet. Kind of unsure if I should or not being that I haven't been asked to (on the other hand haven't been told not too either). I was looking at two decent private seller Celicas, both have been sold. The only one that a dealer has listed is 4200, I doubt I'll see that kind of money from this. The damage so far looks minimal, but a tear down will tell me more. Maybe I'll get bored and start stripping it down. I'll be damned if it gets hauled off with the good stuff....now to find some ****ty wheels....
post Jan 3, 2016 - 6:22 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

It's the easiest fix ever. Hell, you could even just toss an st202 hood and bumper on there for now
The rad support is a little tweaked, crash bar is fine. I've seen cars with worse rad supports than that.

Just get a sledge hammer and hit it back into place (rad support)
post Jan 4, 2016 - 1:00 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I was going to say get a porta-power and sledge and take care of the worst of the damage so then a body shop won't exceed the 70% mark. laugh.gif You can always do the buyback, fwiw it cost $560 to get my Miata back after they payed out a little over $5,000 for it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 4, 2016 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
2bcelica

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Murphy, TX
Currently Offline

Sorry for your loss man. Hope you able to get something decent from the insurance. Theresbplentybof celicas on Craigslist within dfw usually. Also just in case you might be looking into 3sgte I have spare 3rd gen that I'll be selling as I'm about done with my swap.

I have a Gt4 bumper that I could let go but was gonna keep it as spare. . Hope you able to fix or find another vehicle soon.
post Jan 4, 2016 - 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

There were two I was looking at (price was decent), but they were both sold. Two more I am awaiting on info from the seller. That would also depend on the insurance as well, hopefully I get an offer today. I still have the other GT4 bumper I bought off you awhile ago, never got around to getting it installed and painted. I dont know if I want to be hauling an engine across country though, but who knows. If I can i'd like to have the upper rad support replaced, that should be fun but probably along the lines of the most cost effective means.
post Jan 4, 2016 - 9:33 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Jan 4, 2016 - 10:54 AM) *
There were two I was looking at (price was decent), but they were both sold. Two more I am awaiting on info from the seller. That would also depend on the insurance as well, hopefully I get an offer today. I still have the other GT4 bumper I bought off you awhile ago, never got around to getting it installed and painted. I dont know if I want to be hauling an engine across country though, but who knows. If I can i'd like to have the upper rad support replaced, that should be fun but probably along the lines of the most cost effective means.

You could just bang it out for now, it's barely mangled TBH.
post Jan 4, 2016 - 10:00 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

True, but it still leaves me sourcing parts and with no real time to do it in. ...rather do it in one go around. Spent the whole day playing "who's covenant do i get now? " with insurance. But plus note, was told by my count clerk (Tennessee) that if my car is over 10 years anything done to it won't affect the title. ..so there is that.
post Jan 6, 2016 - 2:50 PM
+Quote Post
HectortheRican

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '09
From Albuquerque, NM
Currently Offline

Man, I'm very sad to see this happen to the cleanest 6gc in Ft. Worth, possibly even the entire DFW area.

--------------------
taking too long to mod since '09
June '12 COTM
'95 AT200
post Jan 6, 2016 - 5:45 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

There are a few out here. 2B has always had clean cars too. But i was told that i should get the figures tomorrow....
post Jan 6, 2016 - 8:23 PM
+Quote Post
955SFE

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '13
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Jan 6, 2016 - 6:45 PM) *
There are a few out here. 2B has always had clean cars too. But i was told that i should get the figures tomorrow....

I had the same problem. Same damage.
I only had to buy a used black bumper. In the process I upgraded to OEM style carbon fiber hood and projector headlight set. I just had someone pull the Radiator support. Crash bar was fine.

I installed the bumper, hood and headlight myself.

I ended up wasting about $1-1.2k.

This post has been edited by 955SFE: Jan 6, 2016 - 8:24 PM

--------------------
post Jan 7, 2016 - 7:57 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

Welp, stuck in a hard spot and had did the buy back. Paid for a clip (front bumper, hood, supports, lights and fenders). I didnt have the time to dispute the valuation. Good news is the clip cost 800, leaving me with 500 to play with. And its already black, so i shouldn't need paint.
The bad....its back to a preface bumper for me and the gt4 hood is done for. High beams are not the clear ones.
The good....has everything i need to fix the celica. JDM fenders are a plus and it has preface fogs.
Costs should come under 1k and i cant wait to get rolling with this. So i'll have a few parts that will not be used and ill post those up soon. Thanks for the advice guys and ill put up pics of the work on my never updated "project" page. Hopefully she holds up till i get her garaged in Jersey where I can work on it for a few years.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 11:07 AM