Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: st205 side feed intake manifold
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
afroman
I searched and couldn't find what i was looking for. I also searched mr20c.com but most topics were about the 2nd gen 3s. i would like to go to a side feed intake manifold when i start to do my swap. I plan on going front mount and would like to simplify the intercooler piping and not having to run it close to the exhaust mani. so my question is what year 3sge. can i take a manifold from. also i if can some how find a beams mani would it be worth the money. if you think this is a stupid idea let me know im just trying to get my research done.
-Aaron-
Defgeph
They make aftermarket side feed manifolds for the 3sgte. It will be a little bit more money, but very nice under the hood.

DEF
BLADDER_MASTER
Either go aftermarket or find a BEAMS manifold. The ECU of the 3rd gen 3S-GTE wouldn't be able to control the T-VIS/ACIS of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen 3S-GE's intake manifolds.
Supersprynt
The 2nd gen 3sgte has Tvis. The 3sge in the 2nd Gen doesnt, that had the acoustic control.
jgreening
QUOTE(afroman @ Nov 14, 2005 - 6:16 PM) [snapback]355573[/snapback]

I searched and couldn't find what i was looking for. I also searched mr20c.com but most topics were about the 2nd gen 3s. i would like to go to a side feed intake manifold when i start to do my swap. I plan on going front mount and would like to simplify the intercooler piping and not having to run it close to the exhaust mani. so my question is what year 3sge. can i take a manifold from. also i if can some how find a beams mani would it be worth the money. if you think this is a stupid idea let me know im just trying to get my research done.
-Aaron-

Its the wrong reason to consider one. There is a guy on mr2oc.com with the screen name boostd4 that is doing one. The primary reason to consider it is to maintain even airflow across all 4 cylinders. Quite frankly, the whole "no intercooler piping over the exhaust manifold" rule is very over blown. The only time it would affect you (assuming you have an adequate FMIC) is when you are stopped idling for a period of time - like sitting at a traffic light. Then, all you do is don't boost high for the first 1-2 seconds of your launch and the issue is over. Also, going to a different intake manifold is not a simple bolt in affair - especially if you do it on a 3rd gen without an AFM. It will almost definitely require a stand alone computer and you will be blazing fairly untested ground with airflow and other issues. Unless your goals are in excess of 350whp, I wouldn't even consider it.
lagos
the ic piping over hot manifold is a super easy fix. all you need to do is wrap your ic piping in exhaust heat wrap. it does an amazing job at keeping the piping cool.
Dr_Tweak
Or just don't run it over the exhaust manifold...

user posted image
afroman
thanks for all the input guys. well that was also one of the things i was also wondering about. i read that some places say the intake mani is the problem with cylinder 3 going some say its the fuel rail. i have no personal experience so who do i trust. do i go stand alone and just give #3 more fuel or try the mani and see what happens. i may sound like a retard and i dont post much but i figured i better try to read and learn before i ask dumb questions. if im going to go through with the swap i figured do it right the first time.i have a beater car so the celica can be down for as long as i need to gather money and parts.replies are appreciated.
-Aaron-
jgreening
QUOTE(afroman @ Nov 15, 2005 - 9:37 AM) [snapback]355806[/snapback]

thanks for all the input guys. well that was also one of the things i was also wondering about. i read that some places say the intake mani is the problem with cylinder 3 going some say its the fuel rail. i have no personal experience so who do i trust. do i go stand alone and just give #3 more fuel or try the mani and see what happens. i may sound like a retard and i dont post much but i figured i better try to read and learn before i ask dumb questions. if im going to go through with the swap i figured do it right the first time.i have a beater car so the celica can be down for as long as i need to gather money and parts.replies are appreciated.
-Aaron-

The uneven flow to the cylinders is because of both the intake manifold and the gen2 fuel rail (on an upgraded pump). However, you don't need to worry about it unless you are planning modifications beyond stock, intake, exhaust, and boost controller. If you go standalone, the safety issue with one or more cylinders going lean can be adjusted without a different intake manifold.

The important questions are "what are your goals?" and "what is your budget?"
scothaniel
3rd gen 3SGE is a side fed manifold which will bolt right up. You would need to weld a bung on for the manifold temp sensor.

The butterfly system on the 3rd gen runs off of vacuum (closes the ports around 2500 rpm) and has no controlled VSV's, so the ECU wont know (or care) that its there - I'm was running the ST205 ECU on a 3rd gen 3SGE without problems.

I have both turbo and non-turbo manifolds at a performance shop now - should have them flow tested shortly.

user posted image
lagos
going lean to cyl #3 is not the type of thing a normal 3s will have a problem with. if anything, the motor runs crazy rich all around. i think the issues you read about are things that guys noticed when pushing the motor in the 300-400hp range.
BBoYRuGGeD
QUOTE(Dr_Tweak @ Nov 15, 2005 - 11:31 AM) [snapback]355788[/snapback]

Or just don't run it over the exhaust manifold...

user posted image

hey i can actually back this up and say it keeps the pipe cooler...! i should know...thats my engine bay! biggrin.gif

bboy
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(scothaniel @ Nov 15, 2005 - 3:38 PM) [snapback]355920[/snapback]

3rd gen 3SGE is a side fed manifold which will bolt right up. You would need to weld a bung on for the manifold temp sensor.

The butterfly system on the 3rd gen runs off of vacuum (closes the ports around 2500 rpm) and has no controlled VSV's, so the ECU wont know (or care) that its there - I'm was running the ST205 ECU on a 3rd gen 3SGE without problems.

I have both turbo and non-turbo manifolds at a performance shop now - should have them flow tested shortly.

user posted image

So then if I cut the ACIS wire that goes to my ECU, the ACIS should still work?
GT4WRC
I have a spare ST205 side feed fuel rail and injectors if you're interested. I'm changing to top feed.
Gary
scothaniel
So then if I cut the ACIS wire that goes to my ECU, the ACIS should still work

Yes, the ACIS will still work, as long as its getting a vacuum signlal. From what I've read on the system, it looks like the ECU also forces the butterflies closed at a certain throttle position, which will be lost by disconnecting the VSV.

With the last 3SGE's I received, the canister on the back of the intake manifold was connected to the fuel pressure regulator, not the ACIS system - which doesn't match the diagrams I've seen. Is this the same with your motor?

BTW - nice description of the ACIS on the 7M:
http://www.geocities.com/mwsupra2003/acis.html
BLADDER_MASTER
QUOTE(scothaniel @ Nov 16, 2005 - 11:21 AM) [snapback]356270[/snapback]

So then if I cut the ACIS wire that goes to my ECU, the ACIS should still work

Yes, the ACIS will still work, as long as its getting a vacuum signlal. From what I've read on the system, it looks like the ECU also forces the butterflies closed at a certain throttle position, which will be lost by disconnecting the VSV.

With the last 3SGE's I received, the canister on the back of the intake manifold was connected to the fuel pressure regulator, not the ACIS system - which doesn't match the diagrams I've seen. Is this the same with your motor?

BTW - nice description of the ACIS on the 7M:
http://www.geocities.com/mwsupra2003/acis.html

I gotta do some research on this. I remember there was a diagram showing how the ACIS system works on the 3S-GE's but I lost it. mad.gif
uzthedentist
http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/intake-p...k/index.html?en

jun make one
afroman
how much would that even cost. it really doesnt matter much anymore my cousin totaled my blazer so i have to take care of that. i guess the swap dream fades father away.
-Aaron-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.