Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For those with a 3sgte
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Baddica95
My car is jussssttt about done...i wanna get my exhuast done before i take it to the body shop. I wanna change the piping and the muffler. What are you guys running....thanks

Ryan

quicknstyle
QUOTE(Baddica95 @ Sep 10, 2006 - 8:16 PM) [snapback]478249[/snapback]

My car is jussssttt about done...i wanna get my exhuast done before i take it to the body shop. I wanna change the piping and the muffler. What are you guys running....thanks

Ryan

i think most of the guys are running custom 3in pipes
lagos
full 3in, mandrel bent, with a magnaflow muff.
Insanity-74
XS downpipe with a 2.5" Mongoose system

3" system is a bit of overkill and is unnecesssary unless you plan to run huge power...2.5" will keep everything running sweet, and is alot less likely to allow boost creep.....its also cheaper.
Baddica95
wheres a good place to pick up a muffler....
lagos
ebay

QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Sep 10, 2006 - 11:36 PM) [snapback]478264[/snapback]

XS downpipe with a 2.5" Mongoose system

3" system is a bit of overkill and is unnecesssary unless you plan to run huge power...2.5" will keep everything running sweet, and is alot less likely to allow boost creep.....its also cheaper.

3in is not at all overkill for a turbo car. the bigger your exhaust, the faster your tubo will spool up and the more power youll make. but i do agree that a 2.5in will help with any boost creep issues, and would also be an ok choice.
Baddica95
would the greddy sp cat back exhaust system be a good choice...or is that not recommended for turbos...im not sure the pipe size..
easternpiro1
im sorry, but what is boost creep exactly and what causes it?
cheeco
2.5in custom stainless DP back, muffler and submuffler both magnaflows, stock DP.
beno
boost creep is when the cars boost goes higher than the computer setting.

What can be done to stop boost creep with a 3" exhaust system? a bigger waste gate?
Insanity-74
The waste gate is used to divert exhaust gases away from the turbo when the turbo has reached it pre set boost level, Boost creep is caused when the waste gate can no longer cope with bypassing the exhaust gases and they continue to go through the turbo, making it spin faster and faster, building up more and more boost.

Larger diameter exhausts make this situation worse as they allow more exhaust gases to flow.....a narrow diameter exhaust restricts the flow of exhaust gases helping prevent boost creep.

Hope that makes sence
easternpiro1
is there a certain boost level that this would be bad on? i plan to have mine set to 14-16psi daily
lagos
QUOTE(easternpiro1 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 10:44 AM) [snapback]478387[/snapback]

is there a certain boost level that this would be bad on? i plan to have mine set to 14-16psi daily

the basic idea is... youll set it at 16psi, but then as the rpms rise you might notice that you hit 18psi because the boost creeped up there.

easternpiro1
oh i see, still learning... biggrin.gif
CilverSeliST205
QUOTE(Baddica95 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 12:19 AM) [snapback]478286[/snapback]

would the greddy sp cat back exhaust system be a good choice...or is that not recommended for turbos...im not sure the pipe size..

I have that on my swap, sp catback and 3" dp make 3sgte sound real nice and deep, but I'm not keeping it, as far as performance save up for full 2.5 or 3"
lagos
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 12:12 PM) [snapback]478432[/snapback]

I have that on my swap, sp catback and 3" dp make 3sgte sound real nice and deep, but I'm not keeping it, as far as performance save up for full 2.5 or 3"

i also had the greddy sp on my swap for over a year. while it works fine, and the car is still quick, i noticed a big gain going to a full 3in exhaust.
Baddica95
so i just have to find a muffler then with a 3 inch inner pipe and take it to a shop and say that i want a custom exhaust with 3" all the way....or something like that...I never had to deal with exhaust before.
lagos
QUOTE(Baddica95 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 2:25 PM) [snapback]478485[/snapback]

so i just have to find a muffler then with a 3 inch inner pipe and take it to a shop and say that i want a custom exhaust with 3" all the way....or something like that...I never had to deal with exhaust before.

yeah, just call around to a few places and see what shop can do that type of work
Baddica95
alright..well lastly...whats a good muffler as far as sound wise...i want something with a nice deep tone to it...not too obnoxious...
teamchancery
QUOTE(lagos @ Sep 11, 2006 - 11:15 AM) [snapback]478433[/snapback]

QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 12:12 PM) [snapback]478432[/snapback]

i also had the greddy sp on my swap for over a year. while it works fine, and the car is still quick, i noticed a big gain going to a full 3in exhaust.

what kind of gains does a full 3 inch exhaust give with no(gutted)cat
Baddica95
what is the piping size on the greddy sp catback exhaust system??? Does anyone know this off hand..i did a search and came up with that its eith 2.54 or 2 3/8. It has to be at least 2.5 for the turbo.

thanks

P.S. how much more expensive is a custom 3" exhaust than a greddy sp system..
lagos
the greddy is 2.3in . its really not the best exhaust for a turbo car.

call around for prices on a 3in exhaust.
miniSupra
QUOTE(Baddica95 @ Sep 11, 2006 - 4:03 PM) [snapback]478578[/snapback]

alright..well lastly...whats a good muffler as far as sound wise...i want something with a nice deep tone to it...not too obnoxious...

I like the magnaflow mufflers for sound. They have a deeper tone than what I hear on many other cars
zipstrips
i made my own 3in exahust system. took about 2 hours to complete. i used a borla muffler. sounds great i think. its quiet when i drive normal too. i just wish i did my rear over axle area different. ill change it thou wheni find time
easternpiro1
thats another think ive been meaning to ask u guys, i remember seeing pics of someone's underside ot show their exhaust system. does anybody have those pics? i cant find them. im takign mine to this shop and getting it done for like 100 buks. want to show them pics before they do it.
presure2
there are pics in the sticky of my exhaust system 3" compression bends, magnaflow race series (same one art bought)
CilverSeliST205
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Sep 11, 2006 - 11:29 PM) [snapback]478753[/snapback]

i just wish i did my rear over axle area different.

Can you elaborate ? I'm going to get mine done soon, also over axle.
zipstrips
QUOTE(CilverSeliST205 @ Sep 12, 2006 - 8:26 AM) [snapback]478933[/snapback]

sure, fastbird posted a ton of pics, youll see in the rear how he has his routed... i wish i went that way. i went the way the stock runs.. it clears b/c of the smaller diameter, but 3" clunks..
easternpiro1
QUOTE(zipstrips @ Sep 12, 2006 - 4:17 PM) [snapback]479028[/snapback]

sure, fastbird posted a ton of pics, youll see in the rear how he has his routed... i wish i went that way. i went the way the stock runs.. it clears b/c of the smaller diameter, but 3" clunks..

aww man...3" clunks? i was hoping it wouldnt. why do people do it over axle besides clearance issues?
Driveby
Blitz Nur Spec R all the way biggrin.gif
beno
What horse power gain would you get from a 3" exhaust on a stock GT4?
Magic
I am using HKS Super Silent Exhaust and 3" Custom Stainless Steel from my Blitz Downpipe.

Actually you dont wait to get big gains from the Exhuast Upgrade but it can help you later on with your upgrades and when that "holy" time it comes for you to raise the boost smile.gifsmile.gif
malecrod
i have 2.5" custom from my 3"dp all the way back(over axle ). I actually wanted the 3" but the exhaust guy came back to me during the installation and said there is clearance issues with 3"..so I went with the 2.5".
gt4rik
i have 3" custom exhaust
but you can get a 3" blitz exhaust
or ebay.co.uk have custom 3" from turbo to back box exhausts
zipstrips
QUOTE(easternpiro1 @ Sep 13, 2006 - 11:21 AM) [snapback]479322[/snapback]

QUOTE(zipstrips @ Sep 12, 2006 - 4:17 PM) [snapback]479028[/snapback]

aww man...3" clunks? i was hoping it wouldnt. why do people do it over axle besides clearance issues?

for me right now yes. just depends on where you run it or how tight you can get the bends were u want them. look at fastbirds exhaust.. i have some exhaust shots in my profile you can view aswell. i ran mine this way just b/c its how i wanted it. jeff ran his under and doesnt have a problem, looks great to but i wanted mine differently, and my muffler would look soo terrible if i ran it like his.
jgreening
It is unnecessary to go over the axel for clearance issues. All it does is give a less direct exhaust flow which will slighly inhibit performance - not to mention have more of a chance of rubbing on bumps.
Baddica95
I had to end up going with 2.5 due to the axle clearence...they also noted that even though they could bend the 3 inch right up around the axle, there is a very good chance that i will hear it rub on every bump. Also they would hoook up my down pipe because it would be illegal or some garbage so ill have to do that on my own time. Plus i had to keep the converter cuz they wouldnt remove that either.. Ya hard to find places in WI to bend some rules.. However the guy was really nice and i have no doubt that he'll do a good job. Im not too mad since i dont plan on turning up the boost anytime soon. Plus 2.5" costed me 80 bucks less.. Have any of you had problems with clearance for the 3 inch set up??
CilverSeliST205
QUOTE(jgreening @ Sep 25, 2006 - 12:01 AM) [snapback]483410[/snapback]

It is unnecessary to go over the axel for clearance issues. All it does is give a less direct exhaust flow which will slighly inhibit performance - not to mention have more of a chance of rubbing on bumps.

Didn't you go over axle ? do experience any rubbing issues ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.