Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel swap guide
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
Pages: 1, 2, 3
malpaso
At last I had some time for another upgrade. Steering wheel swap... My stock one was 4-spoke with airbag/horn in the middle.
IPB Image

Just history now biggrin.gif. Since today I have this one wink.gif genuine 7th gen. Celica/91-04 MR2 st. wheel.
IPB Image

Although horn mechanism and airbag connector were different everything is working now. And I'll try describe here how generally do that... believe it will be handy for anyone wink.gif

step no one: remove old steering wheel
Two screws on sides (behind small covers) holds airbag part
IPB Image

IPB Image

There are just two plugs inside. That yellow one is for airbag and white is horn (there is possibility also for cruise multi switch, where are many more wires. Horn wire is black, every time that last on right connected to wheel body)
IPB Image

When you unplug everything + unscrew nut in the middle you should remove wheel with puller (w/o that it's not possible at all)
IPB Image

step two: solving airbag connection
IPB Image

Different airbag connector means find right module (spiral) for it...
IPB Image

...or use same airbag refill wink.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

Of course... some customization should be done if airbag refill has different size (more are different, more custom work is needed). My one was just bit different... and airbag part was easy take into parts.
IPB Image

step three: solving horn connection
This step depends on type of horn you have. However every time it's about find how horn mechanism works, cut black wire off old wheel and connect it somewhere... It really depends on that horn mechanism. However it's really easy, just one wire to screw... somewhere wink.gif.

step four: piece everything together
Installation of new wheel body (with same center bore of course) is easy...
IPB Image

...and in my case screw horn cable to airbag body (not wheel body like stock one)...and all finished biggrin.gif.
IPB Image
snapshotgt
Very nice thumbsup.gif
zCelicaDude
very nice guide. this will be very helpful to the 6gc community. thanks!
My2Celi
nice i like it a lot. How much did you get the stearing wheel for?
Batman722
Nice Job Martin thumbsup.gif
malpaso
thanks for posts and PMs. Here is additional info:

7th gen/MR2/MR-S st. wheel. Where and how much?: I have that st. wheel from e-bay for 250USD (here is another one, red stitched wink.gif)
Why not "how-to article"?: Yes, this should be "how to swap 7th gen st. wheel" article, but only for Euro models. Thanks to snapshotgt I know you have bit different wiring in US (because of that cruise control switch). Euro celicas don't have that at all... That means in US you must swap also that switch -> customize body of that new wheel (cut some hole or anything) and mount it somewhere (some screws in right place???). That's why I rather call it "guide" wink.gif
Is airbag really works? Are you sure?: Yes, airbag really works. When you turn keys on, every time runs "airbag-check" (airbag control light on for a while). If it's something wrong with check, control lights all the time. That's why I'm sure... Of course second way to prove it is crash biggrin.gif.
Do you have part # of that 7th gen module? Will it work in 6gen celi?: par number is not problem wink.gif 84306-32030. And, no I'm not sure it will work with 6gen celica... frown.gif. I don't have that module (I didn't want to spend another 50USD), it's just a general option and possible way to try.
tomazws
Nice swap dude! That 7th gen steering wheel looks 100x better!
My2Celi
aww. i guess i wont be doing it. US import cars are gay.
Rockford
Excellent work, congrats!!!!
CelicaSweden
Which size is the puller?
100mm, 150mm or 200 mm ?
Need to know asap because Im removing my steering wheel right now : )
malpaso
QUOTE(CelicaSweden @ Feb 10, 2007 - 3:19 PM) [snapback]525678[/snapback]

100mm, 150mm or 200 mm ?

That one I have is 3'' (cca 76mm)
CelicaSweden
QUOTE(malpaso @ Feb 10, 2007 - 10:43 AM) [snapback]525686[/snapback]

100mm, 150mm or 200 mm ?

okey, is that a speciel one for just our celi or is it a universal tool ?
malpaso
QUOTE(CelicaSweden @ Feb 11, 2007 - 9:16 AM) [snapback]525876[/snapback]

QUOTE(malpaso @ Feb 10, 2007 - 10:43 AM) [snapback]525686[/snapback]

100mm, 150mm or 200 mm ?

okey, is that a speciel one for just our celi or is it a universal tool ?

universal one bought in local store...
Excursion745
7th gen/MR2/MR-S st. wheel. Where and how much?: I have that st. wheel from e-bay for 250USD (here is another one, red stitched )
Why not "how-to article"?: Yes, this should be "how to swap 7th gen st. wheel" article, but only for Euro models. Thanks to snapshotgt I know you have bit different wiring in US (because of that cruise control switch). Euro celicas don't have that at all... That means in US you must swap also that switch -> customize body of that new wheel (cut some hole or anything) and mount it somewhere (some screws in right place???). That's why I rather call it "guide"

Now what if i took out the cruise control.. does that mean i dont need to mod the new wheel or do i still need to put that dead switch in the new wheel???
malpaso
QUOTE(Excursion745 @ Feb 12, 2007 - 5:18 AM) [snapback]526071[/snapback]

Now what if i took out the cruise control.. does that mean i dont need to mod the new wheel or do i still need to put that dead switch in the new wheel???

If you will remove cruise control (that means you will not use it in your car anymore) you should do same steps like I did, plus:

1. remove cruise control switch (for sure it should be removed)
2. modify wiring harness (same plug is used for horn and cruise control switch -> you must cut anything but horn).

For example:
In picture below is plug (white, bottom of picture) and 4 wires. White, white+black-stripe, red, black. That black is horn (must stay) rest you should cut, because those are wires for cruise.
IPB Image

that's all
Batman722
I was lucky enough to get my hands on some 7th gen parts at a good price biggrin.gif

from this

IPB Image

and about an hour later this

IPB Image

sorry about the night pic, but I just finished. I'll get some day pics tomorrow or so.

Martin, the way I did it was easier than the way you did - no airbag repacking, just a splice here and there wink.gif also, I used the 7th gen cruise switch (it's wired different than the 6th gen) so I'm 99% sure it works, I just need to road test it.
j0e_p3t
nice. now i'm really thinking about doing this mod. what did you do different from martin's how-to?
malpaso
QUOTE(Batman722 @ Feb 28, 2007 - 4:56 AM) [snapback]531085[/snapback]

I was lucky enough to get my hands on some 7th gen parts at a good price biggrin.gif
Martin, the way I did it was easier than the way you did - no airbag repacking, just a splice here and there wink.gif also, I used the 7th gen cruise switch (it's wired different than the 6th gen) so I'm 99% sure it works, I just need to road test it.

I'm glad someone had all parts from 7th gen (particularly 7th gen module/spiral) and made it different way...

IPB Image

So, am I understand right, you have used that module and it works even with cruise control??? More info please!!! smile.gif
Batman722
the 7th gen clockspring (spiral) does not fit in the 6th gen. I simpily cut the connector off the 7th gen spiral and used it on my 6th gen one. Both have 2 wires, blue/black and yellow. It made the swap a 15-30min job. As for the cruise it get's a little tricky. The 7th gen switch has 2 wires from it (red and white) and the 6th gen has 3 (red, white, and white w/black stripe). You just have to find the right combination of 2 wires. I tried a few before I got it, I think it was w/bck to white, and white to red (from 6 to 7)
malpaso
QUOTE(Batman722 @ Feb 28, 2007 - 2:52 PM) [snapback]531202[/snapback]

the 7th gen clockspring (spiral) does not fit in the 6th gen. I simpily cut the connector off the 7th gen spiral and used it on my 6th gen one. Both have 2 wires, blue/black and yellow....

yea... but you have 50% chance to connect it bad an deploy it wink.gif. Any way to be sure which one is which?

I had black/red on 7th gen and red/red on 6th gen... kindasad.gif

IPB Image
Batman722
Martin NO !!! I cut here wink.gif not the bag connection itself

IPB Image

I had the 7th gen spiral wthat connects to the 7th gen airbag, the piece you didn't have wink.gif
malpaso
cunning wink.gif
Negative
There is also a 6th gen steering wheel that looks like that. Mine came with it. The only difference is the center part where the airbag is has embossed Toyota symbol and texture that matches our interior. I have seen them in junkyards before. This should make a much easier swap I would think although I haven't tried it [obviously]. Here is a pic of my stock steering wheel:
IPB Image
Sorry it's crooked but that was the only shot of the wheel that I had. Also several other cars came with it like Supra for instance if you can find one.
Batman722
correct. The 98-99s had a 3 spoke also. IMO the 7th gen airbag looks better and is a lot easier to find.
Batman722
and some more pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I still need to clean and shine it up but I think you guys get the point.
azian_advanced
are all 7th gen steering wheels the same? do any come with leather?
i have a spare 3-spoke non-airbag 6th gen steering wheel from my sister's 94 6th gen and that wasn't wrapped in leather.. the wheel is thick and has a lot less grip.
anyway, my search for the jdm cf supra wheel continues.....
malpaso
QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Mar 1, 2007 - 8:25 AM) [snapback]531611[/snapback]

ehm... my one is leather biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

wink.gif
Negative
So is my stock 3 post. Well pleather or whatever Toyota uses LOL.
Batman722
QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Mar 1, 2007 - 2:25 AM) [snapback]531611[/snapback]

do they all fit the same with the airbag ? yes. There are 3 7th gen wheels that I know of.

the leather wrapped wheel as Martin pictured

IPB Image

the non-leather wheel that I have

IPB Image

and the leather wrapped GT-S wheel

IPB Image

I went with the non leather because I had removed my leather interior (seats/wheel/knob) and went with more of a cleaner look IMO, just keeping it simple and more subtle. I have seen so many leather wheels and knobs showing their age being worn and I'd rather not deal with that issue a few years down the road.
kerosene
even though o wasn't replacing my steering wheel, I was fixing my horn, this helped a great deal...Thanks...btw i took my pillow off without a puller...
Kadett
I really want one. To bad there aren't any available here in Holland for a descent price. I dont need the airbag but no junkyard will sell without and asking price = 400 euro's (550 USD)
dutchboy
QUOTE(Batman722 @ Feb 27, 2007 - 10:56 PM) [snapback]531085[/snapback]

Hi, have you made a write-up/how-to on the swap process?

Does the 7th gen steering column bolt right up?

What wires and where do you splice?

Did the cruise control work properly?

Thanks, really want to do this on my car!
Kadett
woot.gif

Found Myself a nice Leather 7th gen steering wheel completely intact. Cant wait to put it on. Since I dont have a Wheel Puller I will pay Mr T a visit and lend it there laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
dutchboy
Anyone know if the 6th gen cruise control switch will mount into the 7th gen wheel (US).

Thanks
malpaso
QUOTE(dutchboy @ Jul 25, 2007 - 11:48 AM) [snapback]582133[/snapback]

Anyone know if the 6th gen cruise control switch will mount into the 7th gen wheel (US).

Thanks

IMO it will. It's just about one screw to fit...
dutchboy
Is the back side of the 7th gen wheel metal or plastic? Tan corolla 3-spokes are fairly common/cheap, if metal, paint will look pretty good, then I can re-upholster the grips whatever color I want.
njccmd2002
Now all you have to do is test the airbag to see if it works. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

No, really, very nice mod. I would be scared to do this, epecially messing with the airbag module.

CONGRATS!!!!!
thespacepanda
Nice write-up, man.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to purchase a momo wheel in the near future (and yes I would have the hub adapter), how difficult would it be to install? Obviously there would be no issue with wiring the airbag but has anyone installed an aftermarket steering wheel?
tankd0g
QUOTE(Negative @ Feb 28, 2007 - 2:27 PM) [snapback]531328[/snapback]

There is also a 6th gen steering wheel that looks like that. Mine came with it. The only difference is the center part where the airbag is has embossed Toyota symbol and texture that matches our interior. I have seen them in junkyards before. This should make a much easier swap I would think although I haven't tried it [obviously]. Here is a pic of my stock steering wheel:
IPB Image
Sorry it's crooked but that was the only shot of the wheel that I had. Also several other cars came with it like Supra for instance if you can find one.

Slightly OT but how come there's a GT-2 sticker on your cruise control, is that how you turn the car into attack mode? smile.gif
reko
Taking the thread back from the dead lol….

Quick question here… what if i currently own a momo steering with adapter… and want to put a 7th gen ? My car is a GT-S with SRS… so i have the yellow plug hanging… but if i buy a 7th gen steering, the SRS plug from it wont fit my 6th gen one… what can i do ? I dont have the stock steering with srs anymore…
njccmd2002
take the momo steering of, and show us a picture. you can still put the steering, the airbag wont be functional.

you need to get the plug otherwise you cant use it.
windowlicker
quick question, is there any special process when disconnecting the airbag? i know some cars you have to disconnect the battery and let set for like a half hour before you disconnect it, then there are some that you can disconnect no problem. just got an NRG wheel that i'll be installing in the next week or two and don't want an airbag in the face when i go to do the install.
njccmd2002
do the safest, disconnect the battery.
windowlicker
will do. i get spoiled with the mercedes airbags where i can just unplug them and not worry about it.
deliriouzgtfour
any other precautions before starting...? like discharging the battery from the terminal and taking a fuse out so that the airbag will not deploy? Any other precautions, please let us know. Thanks

I'd hate for something to go wrong.

Otherwise nice DYI post
malpaso
QUOTE (deliriouzgtfour @ Apr 14, 2009 - 7:41 AM) *
any other precautions before starting...? like discharging the battery from the terminal and taking a fuse out so that the airbag will not deploy? Any other precautions, please let us know. Thanks

I'd hate for something to go wrong.

Otherwise nice DYI post

What I did is only disconnecting battery. Nothing else. No fuses, no nothing else.
deliriouzgtfour
fixed my horn. On the other hand, wire was torn inside for the horn. Thanks malpaso. Anyone willing to do the 7th gen wheel swap for me? Ill pay someone..haha
windowlicker
took the airbag off this morning to speed up the process of changing out the wheel possibly tonight. just waiting on the hub from sparco that is supposed to be coming in today. can't wait to get the new wheel and quick release on for this weekend's rallyx.
azian_advanced
as long as the 7th gen wheel you get comes with the airbag components, you can wire it up with your stock gt-s airbag harness as mentioned in the how-to.
windowlicker
oh, i'm not putting in a toyota wheel, i'm putting in a NRG wheel with quick release. i will not have an airbag, don't want an airbag to the face while taking the car off sweet jumps in a rally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.