Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prices?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Kasper
Alright, so I have a stock 5S-FE, with just under 207,000 miles. It's getting to the point where I gotta start replacing things. Within' the last 4 months I've replaced the distributor, radiator, need to replace the air hose, and now I'm having problems with the ignition wiring or something. So this is my idea: I want to get a new engine, with fewer miles, would like to have turbo, and preferably less than 100,000 miles if I can. I look at it as I have 4 options, and was hoping to get estimates and how much each one would cost. Here are my options:
1) Replace my current 5S-FE with a new 5S-FE, estimated price?
2) Replace my 5S-FE with a new one, and get turbo, i.e 5S-FTE. price?
3) Replace 5S-FE with 3S-GTE swap. price?
4) Buy a Celica that already has one of the swaps done. estimated price 6000 - 8000 $ If I went this route, I'd be selling my Celica, and hopefully getting 3500-4000 out of it. I will not sell it with the current ignition problem. That will be fixed or I keep the car.

So anyways I was hoping some of you would know how much I'm looking to spend for taking one of these routes. And I won't be doing the installs, I don't know enough about engines and what-not to install one. Unless it's the straight swap between 2 5S-FE's, then my dad can do it since it's the same.
jcaron9gt4
QUOTE(Kasper @ Sep 4, 2007 - 1:41 PM) [snapback]593244[/snapback]

Alright, so I have a stock 5S-FE, with just under 207,000 miles. It's getting to the point where I gotta start replacing things. Within' the last 4 months I've replaced the distributor, radiator, need to replace the air hose, and now I'm having problems with the ignition wiring or something. So this is my idea: I want to get a new engine, with fewer miles, would like to have turbo, and preferably less than 100,000 miles if I can. I look at it as I have 4 options, and was hoping to get estimates and how much each one would cost. Here are my options:
4) Buy a Celica that already has one of the swaps done. estimated price 6000 - 8000 $ If I went this route, I'd be selling my Celica, and hopefully getting 3500-4000 out of it. I will not sell it with the current ignition problem. That will be fixed or I keep the car.

So anyways I was hoping some of you would know how much I'm looking to spend for taking one of these routes. And I won't be doing the installs, I don't know enough about engines and what-not to install one. Unless it's the straight swap between 2 5S-FE's, then my dad can do it since it's the same.

New 5sfe=about $1000
New 5sfe then turboing= add about 3k...so $4-4.5k
3sgte= about $5-5.5k
CaliJeff
QUOTE(jcaron9gt4 @ Sep 4, 2007 - 11:46 AM) [snapback]593261[/snapback]

QUOTE(Kasper @ Sep 4, 2007 - 1:41 PM) [snapback]593244[/snapback]

New 5sfe=about $1000
New 5sfe then turboing= add about 3k...so $4-4.5k
3sgte= about $5-5.5k

Sounds right. U can even maybe get a new 5sfe a lil cheaper.
njccmd2002
5sfe new, or rebuilt. 1000

that sounds very cheap. If you add turbo, how much increase are you looking at in HP.

itought some people say you cant turbo a 5sfe since it was not built for this and can break?
jcaron9gt4
QUOTE(njccmd2002 @ Sep 4, 2007 - 9:45 PM) [snapback]593414[/snapback]

5sfe new, or rebuilt. 1000

that sounds very cheap. If you add turbo, how much increase are you looking at in HP.

itought some people say you cant turbo a 5sfe since it was not built for this and can break?

i laugh at that. if you do it correctly, you will have a setup that will last you a while and will be reliable. it will get you well in the 200 range for hp if you build it correctly.
quicknstyle
you can, just gotta do it safely, its a bit more fragile than the 3s, but PLENTY of people have boosted the 5s
njccmd2002
cool, BTW

whats the diference betwee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Camr...sspagenameZWDVW

it states its for older vehicles and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camry-2003-...sspagenameZWDVW

when it states that its for newer , is it both the 5sfe, should it fit all???

im goint to start to save to the 5SFTE thanks guys.....
Kasper
What kind of hp differences would I be looking at between 5S-FTE and 3S-GTE? I know that it would depend also on what turbo and other parts I put on the 5S-FE, but just a general idea?
CaliJeff
You guys need to read the stickies.
Here and Here
Kasper
QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Sep 5, 2007 - 3:15 PM) [snapback]593639[/snapback]

You guys need to read the stickies.
Here and Here

Right I know about those. I was more or less asking the difference between 5S-FE and a 5S-FTE compared to the 3S-GTE.
CaliJeff
3sgte can get 251hp w/ 225 lbs torque
5sfte can get 240hp(?) w/ 235(?) lbs torque

I might be slightly off on the 5sfte.
jcaron9gt4
QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Sep 5, 2007 - 8:29 PM) [snapback]593706[/snapback]

3sgte can get 251hp w/ 225 lbs torque
5sfte can get 240hp(?) w/ 235(?) lbs torque

I might be slightly off on the 5sfte.

240 on a 5's would be impressive....a basic setup will get you somewhere in the 210 range
toyotacrazy
QUOTE(Kasper @ Sep 4, 2007 - 12:41 PM) [snapback]593244[/snapback]

Or just buy my entire 3sgte celica for $6500??? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.