Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car making squealing noise
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
CAMAricer
Hi guys, got a weird problem. Hope someone can help me.

My car is making a high pitch squealing noise when the car is parked and I turn the wheel hard (all the way) in either direction (let's say to get out of a parking spot). If I let up just a bit (return the wheel towards it's neutral position), the noise stops. Also, at night when I do the same thing with the headlights on, I can see the lights get slightly dimmer. Soon as I let off, the lights return to normal. So I think there might be a connection there.

I first noticed this problem when I changed the break pad on my car (for the first time). I ended spilling some break fluid over the rotor/caliper and haven't used brake cleaner to clean it up yet, don't know if this info helps or not.

jesterwr217
QUOTE(CAMAricer @ Sep 30, 2007 - 12:18 AM) [snapback]600179[/snapback]

My car is making a high pitch squealing noise when the car is parked and I turn the wheel hard (all the way) in either direction (let's say to get out of a parking spot). If I let up just a bit (return the wheel towards it's neutral position), the noise stops. Also, at night when I do the same thing with the headlights on, I can see the lights get slightly dimmer. Soon as I let off, the lights return to normal. So I think there might be a connection there.

I first noticed this problem when I changed the break pad on my car (for the first time). I ended spilling some break fluid over the rotor/caliper and haven't used brake cleaner to clean it up yet, don't know if this info helps or not.

thats belt chatter replace your belts
CAMAricer
Oh, that's right. I had my belts replaced a few days before that (timing and serpentine belts). I'll go back to the mechanic and see what's up. Thanks.

QUOTE(jesterwr217 @ Sep 30, 2007 - 12:15 AM) [snapback]600184[/snapback]

QUOTE(CAMAricer @ Sep 30, 2007 - 12:18 AM) [snapback]600179[/snapback]

thats belt chatter replace your belts

Blakout16
if you just got new belts then - most like they are just needing some tightening ... thats very normal for new belts to stretch out alittle bit.
goferris
QUOTE(Blakout16 @ Sep 30, 2007 - 12:57 AM) [snapback]600192[/snapback]

if you just got new belts then - most like they are just needing some tightening ... thats very normal for new belts to stretch out alittle bit.

mine does the same thing but only if it's cool outside (or so it seems)
from what i have been told it's the power steering. is there a power steering belt?
jesterwr217
yea if u just had them replaced sounds like they are a lil loose
BigRog95
Yeah, my celica was doing that when I first got it, but I just got all 3 belts replaced and its as good as new!
94CelicaDragon
Funny no one metioned this...Have you checked your power steering pump/fluid? My pump went out, I just got a new one. It still has a leak, so I think I might need a new resivoir(Or however you spell It). It made that sound all the time, you probably have air In your line's, which Is what make's that noise. -Phil
BigRog95
Hm, never even thought about that...That very well could be it too. Check belts and steering pump/fluid lvl!

Hope you fix it.
CAMAricer
So I went to the shop that put the belts on and the guy said he thought one of the belts was kinda loose, so he "fixed" it a few seconds. Now the noise is almost completely gone (95%) but when I make a hard turn on the wheel (like all way) I can barely make out the sound.

I'm thinking I'm just being picky now, but should I continue to monitor this sound or is it not really a big deal?

Oh, I'll check the power steering fluid today too to see it it's low or anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.