Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supra Swap
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Legit94GT
So I am goign to be swapping out my 5sfe for a 3sgte... but i got to think that i'd love to have a 6 speed tranny for it... so why not put a supra tranny on it? that got me thinking more, why not stuff a supra motor in instead of a 3s... So...

Has anyone put in a Supra V6 into their celica?
I know someone swapped in a v6...

Would a Supra tranny work for a FWD drive car?

Has anyone put in a 6 speed tranny on a 3sgte?

Pro's Con's... lets hear it...

Culpable04
try some reading smile.gif

celica engine swaps
Supersprynt
The Supra is an straight six, not a V6.
playr158
IPB Image IPB Image
bccentaur3
^ lol... Dude you need to do some research. Some of your questions some NOOBS dont dare ask.
Legit94GT
I guess i missed tht fourm, thanks...

I know its a straight 6... was just talking out loud... if someone swapped in a v6 (biger than our I4's could you swap in a bigger I6) i got it...

But what about putting in a 6 speed tranny that would mount to a 3sgte?
Anybody... I still can find anything in the fourms about it:/ maybe im just blind:)
bccentaur3
See the problem with an inline 6 drop, you would have to do a rwd conversion too. too much work imo.

If you want a 6speed so bad get a 4age motor. I forgot which one black top or silver top that works good with a 6 speed tranny.
Legit94GT
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 11:33 AM) [snapback]640695[/snapback]

See the problem with an inline 6 drop, you would have to do a rwd conversion too. too much work imo.

If you want a 6speed so bad get a 4age motor. I forgot which one black top or silver top that works good with a 6 speed tranny.

Ya but that motor is sissy...

Has anybody heard of putting a 6 speed tranny on a 3sgte?
x_itchy_b_x
why do you want a 6 speed? e153 is fine. heck my s54 is fine (so far) i dont think i need to go faster than 190mph...
Supersprynt
To my knowledge there is no 6 speed tranny that would bolt up to the S block.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It would be unnecessary to do, the E153 has plenty of top end for you to ever want.
CelicaSTX02
Anything can be possible with enough money smile.gif
Legit94GT
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 12, 2008 - 11:44 AM) [snapback]640706[/snapback]

To my knowledge there is no 6 speed tranny that would bolt up to the S block.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It would be unnecessary to do, the E153 has plenty of top end for you to ever want.

Thank you for answer my question

95CelicaST
I'm in before the lock!
x_itchy_b_x
you could.... i remember a thread where some guy made an adapter plate to stick between the an S series and a new celica 6 speed tranny. irrc.
_mikeE
That'll be sure a hell of a lot of modding seeing that our engines are horizontal and the supra motor is vertical lined up in the engine bay, plus the 6 speed tranny (from a supra i'll assume) is RWD so you'll have to re-do all the cables and links. It's way too much work and the 2jz motor, you'll be pushing out so much power for our car to even handle unless you have AWD, like the people I see who mod their 3s motor over 400+hp, in my opinion is odd because we're only FWD, your tires are gonna be ripping off the line like mad--but then again usualyl those people have the e153 tranny which has LSD in it.
So your best bet is the 4age motor, and to bccentaur3, i think it's the silver top which was compatible for the 6spd. And if you think that motor is a sissy, then drop some nos in it biggrin.gif
Daftboy
I believe the solara tranny mounts up to the 3s ....it was offered in a 6 speed but hard to find...
Legit94GT
QUOTE(Daftboy @ Feb 12, 2008 - 12:09 PM) [snapback]640719[/snapback]

I believe the solara tranny mounts up to the 3s ....it was offered in a 6 speed but hard to find...

Thanks... i'll see what i can find... after i go to bed and wake up this afternoon... graveyard shift kills me sometimes:/
Kwanza26
QUOTE(Daftboy @ Feb 12, 2008 - 5:09 PM) [snapback]640719[/snapback]

The solara was never offered in a 6 speed.
playr158
ok i'm going to make this pot REALLY REALLY Bad

I am *hopefully* putting a Supra 6speed tranny (W58) on a 3sgte...yes it is possible and its fairly simple to put together
hitcachi
and before you ask, no the 7th gen's 6 speed tranny will not mount up.
Hanyo
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Feb 12, 2008 - 9:04 AM) [snapback]640715[/snapback]

you could.... i remember a thread where some guy made an adapter plate to stick between the an S series and a new celica 6 speed tranny. irrc.

you got it the other way around.

People are taking the 6 speed tranny out, and making an adapter plate to use the mr2 tranny.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(playr158 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 2:32 PM) [snapback]640767[/snapback]

I am *hopefully* putting a Supra 6speed tranny (W158) on a 3sgte...yes it is possible and its fairly simple to put together

But you won't be keeping the motor FWD - and you'll have to turn the entire motor around. Not sure how that equates to simple.
x_itchy_b_x
[quote name='x_itchy_b_x' post='640715' date='Feb 12, 2008 - 9:04 AM']
[/quote]

you got it the other way around.

People are taking the 6 speed tranny out, and making an adapter plate to use the mr2 tranny. [/quote]

Ohhh right. makes sense because I hear that newer tranny is weak. good call.
CelicaSTX02
QUOTE(playr158 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 12:32 PM) [snapback]640767[/snapback]

I am *hopefully* putting a Supra 6speed tranny (W158) on a 3sgte...yes it is possible and its fairly simple to put together

whoa, are you about to try something crazy dude?
playr158
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 12, 2008 - 3:23 PM) [snapback]640784[/snapback]

But you won't be keeping the motor FWD - and you'll have to turn the entire motor around. Not sure how that equates to simple.

nope not keeping it FWD (hopefully), and you don't turn it around you turn it 90* laugh.gif

oh and I said simple to put it together.....putting it in is a WHOLE other discussion
lagos

Back to the 2jz talk....
Go for it. With enough time and money, almost anything can be done. Hell, you can even build a car from scratch or build a 2jz powered motor cycle. It all depends on how deep your pockets are.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(playr158 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 3:27 PM) [snapback]640788[/snapback]

QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Feb 12, 2008 - 3:23 PM) [snapback]640784[/snapback]

nope not keeping it FWD (hopefully), and you don't turn it around you turn it 90* laugh.gif

oh and I said simple to put it together.....putting it in is a WHOLE other discussion

I know exactly how much you have to turn it, don't be a jack ass.
lagos
Bolting a supra trans to a 3sgte is the easy part. 150bucks for a new bell housing off ebay is all you need. Anyone can do that.
The hard part is being able to afford all the parts, and doing all the custom fabrication it would take to make everything work.
There is a big difference between wanting to do it, and actually doing it.
playr158
oh Eric don't be so sensitive you know i'm kidding.

yea you just need the bell housing but finding it is a PITA!
(ok so I lied there is 1 in Australia....and the buyer wont ship it)

So what Aussi member wants to pick this up and ship it to me laugh.gif (and the ebay buyer seams pretty dumb)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...828#description
lagos
I've ran into about 4 of them on ebay so far. If someone wants one, it wouldnt be too hard to get it.
If paying a few extra bucks for overseas shipping is too much.... then its probably not a good idea to get into this type of thing. The bell housing is probably the least expensive part of the whole project.
playr158
^where else have you found them..I had one lied up a while ago but too many projects got me distracted and i never ordered it frown.gif
lagos
Ebay!
x_itchy_b_x
lol dan i saw so so many on ebay. usually 300-400 bucks. im stil debating on getting one and trying that RWD or AWD. in due time anyways.
hellnegative
Alright man. I will tell you this. There is no such thing as a non-feasable egine swap. anything is possible. In order to do the I6 Swap, you are going to have to cut a tranny tunnel and you would have to not only find the motor and tranny, but you would also have tog et a hold of the whole drivetrain. You are looking at a 6 thousand dollar investment. If you are looking for a lot of power or something that noone else has done, look into putting a v8 into your celi. A 350 out of a stingray, or mid 90's camaro would suit your needs and your pocket book better than attempting the I6 swap. You can usually pick up the whole camaro for about 3 grand. And I would pick up like an old DX or something for a daily driver for the months of work you're planning on doing. Just my input tho. Anything is possible if you put your mind and tools to it.
95CelicaST
Alright man. I will tell you this. There is no such thing as a non-feasable egine swap. anything is possible. In order to do the I6 Swap, you are going to have to cut a tranny tunnel and you would have to not only find the motor and tranny, but you would also have tog et a hold of the whole drivetrain. You are looking at a 6 thousand dollar investment. If you are looking for a lot of power or something that noone else has done, look into putting a v8 into your celi. A 350 out of a stingray, or mid 90's camaro would suit your needs and your pocket book better than attempting the I6 swap. You can usually pick up the whole camaro for about 3 grand. And I would pick up like an old DX or something for a daily driver for the months of work you're planning on doing. Just my input tho. Anything is possible if you put your mind and tools to it.

Please stop.

A 6,000 investment? Right. For what? The whole project? No.

A 3S-GTE swap will be about 6,000 - and that is a drop in job, not a custom one.

You would need to cut out the firewall and move it back a good distance, and then cut the transmission tunnel. You'll need to fabricate a rear subframe and all of the needed components for the RWD. You'll probably need to get the Supra suspension as well.

You'd be looking at upwards of 20K for that kind of work, which would be stupid because you can go buy a Supra instead of bastardizing a Celica.
hitcachi
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Feb 12, 2008 - 5:48 PM) [snapback]640838[/snapback]

You'd be looking at upwards of 20K for that kind of work, which would be stupid because you can go buy a Supra instead of bastardizing a Celica.

word. exactly what i was going to post.
playr158
QUOTE(x_itchy_b_x @ Feb 12, 2008 - 4:26 PM) [snapback]640804[/snapback]

lol dan i saw so so many on ebay. usually 300-400 bucks. im stil debating on getting one and trying that RWD or AWD. in due time anyways.

you saw so many 2s bellhousings?
and WOW 300 is soooo overpriced laugh.gif
Legit94GT
QUOTE(hellnegative @ Feb 12, 2008 - 5:13 PM) [snapback]640820[/snapback]

Really? Now i have NEVER heard of that before... Swapping a camaro motor huh? Now how on earth would that work? that sounds like alot of custom work...
easternpiro1
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Feb 12, 2008 - 12:00 PM) [snapback]640713[/snapback]

I'm in before the lock!

me too! lol laugh.gif laugh.gif
lagos
QUOTE(Legit94GT @ Feb 12, 2008 - 9:21 PM) [snapback]640906[/snapback]

QUOTE(hellnegative @ Feb 12, 2008 - 5:13 PM) [snapback]640820[/snapback]

Really? Now i have NEVER heard of that before... Swapping a camaro motor huh? Now how on earth would that work? that sounds like alot of custom work...

On the internet, everything is cheap and easy, and can be accomplished in a single thread. In the real world, projects like that are not worth the time and effort.
Fastbird
Owning a Trans Am and a Corvette with both of the popular Chevy V8's of later years, I will say there's no way it's going to fit in the engine bay of the Celica. Too long, and more importantly, too wide to make it between the shock towers with manifolds, much less headers. You're talking MAJOR surgery on the car (think surgery like the kid who did the LS1 into a Prelude). A Chevy powered V8 Celica though..... I love the thought!

As for the 2JZ......Wasn't Dr. Tweak offering to do that swap including a RWD conversion for $12K a while back??? I'd have instantly done it, but I didn't have the money.

Here's food for thought though: If someone does do the 2JZ swap, you'd need a rear. Narrow a Ford 8.8" rear and have custom axles made. THey're a dime a dozen, parts are readily available, and custom axles aren't very expensive at all. Custom driveshafts are cheap too ($350ish). Food for thought for those who might be trying.
Legit94GT
Thanks for the food for thought:)

Ya i kinda thought it sounded way to crazy to try and drop in a v8 where an i4 used to be...

But i think i have fianlly decided to just go with a swap for a 3sgte and call it good:)

BUt buying a 5th gen awd turbo for 5k is very tempting:/
rayneezy23
QUOTE(Legit94GT @ Feb 14, 2008 - 12:01 AM) [snapback]641349[/snapback]

Thanks for the food for thought:)

Ya i kinda thought it sounded way to crazy to try and drop in a v8 where an i4 used to be...

But i think i have fianlly decided to just go with a swap for a 3sgte and call it good:)

BUt buying a 5th gen awd turbo for 5k is very tempting:/

i like that well said biggrin.gif
playr158
you could do a Supercharged or Turbo V6
snapshotgt
QUOTE(lagos @ Feb 13, 2008 - 9:02 PM) [snapback]641314[/snapback]

On the internet, everything is cheap and easy, and can be accomplished in a single thread. In the real world, projects like that are not worth the time and effort.

+1, well said Art.
spolski07
QUOTE(easternpiro1 @ Feb 13, 2008 - 9:52 PM) [snapback]641310[/snapback]

QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Feb 12, 2008 - 12:00 PM) [snapback]640713[/snapback]

I'm in before the lock!

me too! lol laugh.gif laugh.gif

x3 biggrin.gif laugh.gif wink.gif
hellnegative
Yeah, everything involves time and work. If you're gonna set something aside for a project car or for asomething to play around with, you're not gonn ahve it be your main ride. And in the real world, things do take time and work. That's life. Yeah, investing in a full supra would be the btter bet. But then again, if you're gonna invest that kind of money then you would wanna start from a greater power base anyway, besides a ****ing tuner. How about this for truth. If you really wanna go big, go for some muscle and balls. They have more potential, cost less for the same bang, and you can do more with them without custom fab because you can find parts anywhere. how about that for real life you cunts! biggrin.gif
Kwanza26
QUOTE(hellnegative @ Feb 15, 2008 - 7:16 AM) [snapback]641707[/snapback]

Yeah, everything involves time and work. If you're gonna set something aside for a project car or for asomething to play around with, you're not gonn ahve it be your main ride. And in the real world, things do take time and work. That's life. Yeah, investing in a full supra would be the btter bet. But then again, if you're gonna invest that kind of money then you would wanna start from a greater power base anyway, besides a ****ing tuner. How about this for truth. If you really wanna go big, go for some muscle and balls. They have more potential, cost less for the same bang, and you can do more with them without custom fab because you can find parts anywhere. how about that for real life you cunts! biggrin.gif

I can imagine this being said by Vin Diesel...
playr158
thread failure....
Silver94CelicaOwner
Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but this thread makes me cry. biggrin.gif

hellnegative, are you sure you own a Celica??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.