Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Breathers- Who uses it??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
MarcoGTS
yeah ive bought one and i was just wondering who have/has used it?? whats the pro and cons?? and where do you install it?? is it good for the engine?? Thanks!
bccentaur3
is that the little filter that hooks onto the crank case vent?
tin_foil
If by crank case you mean valve cover, I think that's what he's talking about.
xs94st
they are cool to have, mainly just for looks..but i believe that when u get ur car smogged u shouldnt have it on and reconnect the hose between the valve cover and intake manifold.

it pretty much is supposed to minimize the amount of oil that may vaporize and eventually head to the intake mani.

i think.

they are 9.99 for the filter at pepboys.
MarcoGTS
haha sorry for bein a noob on this but any pics?? hahaha
Cuts_the_Pilot
if you are indeed talking about pvc libe that usually goes from the rocker cover to the inlet mani you should use a catch can.
the idea of it is to vent positive crank case preasure.

a catch can will catch catch oil that usually would have got back into your inlet mani and hence into your engine, lowering your octane rating of the fuel and taking away hp, and making your plenum all dirty and **** on the inside.

You can either vent the catch can to atmosphere (via the filter you speak of) or run it plump back into the inlet mani.

ok so the arrows are pointing to the catch can (that one i made but you can buy them easily enough) the larger hose comes off the rocker cover, the smaller one is a direct crankcase venting line, and as you can see i have the filter on top so it vents to atmo. Inside there is baffles so the oily air simply cant go straight out the vent is has to negotiate its way past plates and so on, this causes the oil to catch in the bottom, and not go out the filter.

IPB Image
MarcoGTS
so....u can only use it if you have a turbo??? what happens if its a non-turbo? where do you put it then??
MaskedMan
QUOTE(MarcoGTS @ Feb 17, 2008 - 11:59 PM) [snapback]642705[/snapback]
so....u can only use it if you have a turbo??? what happens if its a non-turbo? where do you put it then??

Yes. You can use it if you are non-turbo. It would go in the exact same place on a Turbo or N/A application.
Bitter
just use a catch can, the little filter will endup oil soaked and leak oil onto your engine.
crandsberry
this has been talked about on the CAI threads all the time

Okay, as you face the engine:

port on the right edge of the valve cover = fresh air inlet

port on the back edge of the valve cover, w/ a hose to your manifold = funky oily air outlet, incudes the PCV valve which you should be replacing at regular intervals.

Cuts is right, with the gases ported to the manifold it does let all kinds of nastiness build up in there, but the manifold vacuum helps pull the gases out.
Unless of course you are running boost wink.gif

As for the air inlet, slap an air breather filter on there.
It looks cool, cuts down on hoses, and it'll pass any emissions check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.