Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smkr3w's Thread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
smkr3w
Hot damn thats a pretty solid deal..

Just paid most of June's bills early so I'll give it a looksy in a week or two, maybe start cranking out some goods wink.gif

Plus I still gotta save some extra cash to get more emblems made, since there has been recent demand for them lol.
Dennisthe10
so much better without the wood smile.gif

Serious question, what technique did you use to wrap the shifter surround? I have tried this so many times and really struggle with the sloping bit, are you heating teh wrap and pulling in from the middle?
smkr3w
Thanks.

Yeah, I used a heat gun. Used an exacto to cut an X from corner to corner BUT leave some space so that when you pull and tuck you don't have have an uncovered spot. I misjudged my cut and had to try an blend a piece in.. You can kind of see in the far side of surround in the last pic smile.gif
Dennisthe10
edit: duplicate post - durh me!
Dennisthe10
QUOTE (smkr3w @ Jun 7, 2013 - 7:30 AM) *
Thanks.

Yeah, I used a heat gun. Used an exacto to cut an X from corner to corner BUT leave some space so that when you pull and tuck you don't have have an uncovered spot. I misjudged my cut and had to try an blend a piece in.. You can kind of see in the far side of surround in the last pic smile.gif

Thanks man, I'll take your advice for attempt number 73,000 smile.gif I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to wrapping and hate myself a little bit more every time i notice a crappy bit smile.gif This is my final piece that I cant quite nail
Dennisthe10
QUOTE (smkr3w @ Jun 7, 2013 - 7:30 AM) *
Thanks.

Smkr3w - thank you, I persevered and got a near perfect result smile.gif Totally owe you on this as nearly did the old 'cut a template and ignore the dippy bit' method which I would never have been happy with biggrin.gif
smkr3w
Congrats man! biggrin.gif glad it worked out
mak5603
Damn dude, i haven't been on in months. Your car is looking sick!
smkr3w
QUOTE (mak5603 @ Jun 11, 2013 - 11:43 AM) *
Damn dude, i haven't been on in months. Your car is looking sick!

Thanks man smile.gif
Welcome back
smkr3w
Well 6gc, it's been awhile.. logged on here or there but nothing much.
My car has remained the same for the past year or so..

Then on one fateful day I was driving to work and nailed a big ass rock on the highway, pulled off the road checked the rim and didnt see anything (at the time) no hissing or air leak..

however it did this:

..And it held air with no vibration or issues so i continued on to work.. came home, no issues.. drove to my second job, no issues..

Then on my way home again around 11pm not my tire, but my ENGINE went BOOM frown.gif

Towed it home, waited a couple days pulled the engine apart and checked out the damage (thats also when i discover the rim damage):

crank

rod and bearings

So after about 2 weeks of sulking and looking for a rep 5s i came up with a 2 local choices at 600k miles and one with 212k and rust in the head..
Tried looking in two nearby cities and found nothing good for a 5s rep.

Eventually went with the swap that I had been talking about for a long time..

Now I am going V6, in the form of a 1mz.

Got the motor home:

On the stand:

Popped the top:

She is CLEAN!
The bottom end is just as clean!

Taking the heads down to get resurfaced tomorrow.

Got all new gaskets, new water pump.
Will be deleting all emmissions crap.
Fidanza Flywheel is on it's way.
As well as the Southbend Clutch Kit.
Got ARP flywheel bolts.

More pics to come.

So excited. biggrin.gif
cheela
wow your engine boom did some crazy damage!

and the 1mz looks like a very good start. glad you didn't go with those rep 5s.
good luck with the swap!
smkr3w
QUOTE (cheela @ Mar 23, 2015 - 12:27 PM) *
wow your engine boom did some crazy damage!

and the 1mz looks like a very good start. glad you didn't go with those rep 5s.
good luck with the swap!

Thanks man!
Yeah it's crazy to think had my tire failed as it should have my car would probably still be running.. bittersweet really
Tigawoods
that is going to be some fun

smkr3w
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Mar 23, 2015 - 12:31 PM) *
that is going to be some fun

It should be real fun lol

also, i just got a .GIF reply from tigawoods- I'm honored tongue.gif
HectortheRican
Oh man, the true spirit of replacing with better!
I can't wait to follow this.

Crazy about all that damage so close together...
Lamont
This sounds strangely familiar to me, anyone else having deja vu biggrin.gif

Box
I just don't even know... How in the Hell did it grenade like that? Anyway, at least it gave you a good excuse for a 1MZ swap.
kurt95gt
Was wondering when I was going to see this update lol
smkr3w
QUOTE (Lamont @ Mar 23, 2015 - 3:42 PM) *
This sounds strangely familiar to me, anyone else having deja vu biggrin.gif

right? lol when i was perusing your thread for info i saw you had pretty much the same senario.
same for kurt's 5s! haha

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 23, 2015 - 4:03 PM) *
I just don't even know... How in the Hell did it grenade like that? Anyway, at least it gave you a good excuse for a 1MZ swap.

i literally made a wall of smoke across a 4 lane highway it was so bad.
she could have kept going too but i pulled off to the center lane

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 23, 2015 - 9:16 PM) *
Was wondering when I was going to see this update lol

haha yeah i've been putting it off and didnt have time upload the pics til this morning.
...and a little overwhelmed watching my credit card skyrocket haha
Box
All these 5S's blowing up for no reason, what gives? redface.gif
kurt95gt
It's just the celicas saying put the right damn engine in that's all box lol
smkr3w
Forgot to post the pretty internals

All cylinders are just as clean.

And some updates......

Got the engine back together and some paint:

(cheaped out and blacked out the engine bay)

New Fidanza flywheel with ARP bolts

Didnt take a pic of the clutch/pressure plate.. its from Southbend, I spoke with Andy- great guy to deal with!

Got it dropped in!

As for the pass. side motor mount- tried thinking out of the box:
Got a Energy Suspension GM Transmission mount-

Mocked up a bracket with but of course dinner's pizza box

Cut and tacked some steel-

will be having a professional welder finish it up..

Coming together slowly but surely biggrin.gif
The_enD
What's up with your headlights, plastic didn't last long in the Sun?
smkr3w
QUOTE (The_enD @ Apr 18, 2015 - 3:15 AM) *
What's up with your headlights, plastic didn't last long in the Sun?

Yea, they're the plastic lenses from the Rayme group buy from a few years back.. i didn't put any UV protection and I park outside- where I live, we get sunshine 90-95% of the year, gonna go back to OEM glass soon
Batman722
Looks good thumbsup.gif
Box
Good job on the mount. Now you just need to black out the rest of the car. tongue.gif
njccmd2002
With the mount good job. Account for sag. Once you put the rubber under stress engine may not remain leveled. Dont know how to explain. I had to compensate 1 inch in sag in mine.
smkr3w
Got it to turn over after a bit of issues with the tranny, flywheel.

>> Video <<
(straps were there for when we removed the tranny, pass side and driver side motor mounts were installed)

woot.gif

Just a few wires for the fuel pump, grounds and ignition and she should be good to go..
And also the a/c lines, p/s lines and lower radiator hose.
Lamont
Keep up the good work, it will all be worth it once you're up and running wink.gif

Box
Wooo!!!!! Almost done!!!!
smkr3w
Got it started Tuesday! biggrin.gif

Had our guru make a house call to help make sure we had everything correct before initial fire up.
Before he showed up we were about 180* off on the timing in the software... /facepalm

Still need to get a timing light on it to make sure were set there.
Followed by the wideband install and then tune.

She sounds burly on open headers and untuned lol.

There wasn't as much chaos as it looks in the video, just had a temporary switch powering the ecu so our tech was telling me to shut it off but i was telling the to hit the switch is all lol...

Anyway here you go! -->VIDEO<--
smkr3w
I guess I should update this thread..

2 days after the above post ^ I was hit by a car on my motorcycle. I was at a stop sign and the party at fault (late 20's/early 30's male) failed to pay attention and turned into my lane and hit me head on at about 25mph. Sent me and my bike back about 20 feet from where I was stopped. The bike was totaled and my right knee took the brunt of the force tearing 3 of the 4 ligaments. Been dealing with lawyers and insurance since and it's finally almost over with pending my surgery scheduled for next week.

That being said, I've had a lot of downtime and limited funds but with the dust settling things are looking up, recently made a lot of progress and shes 95% ready!

Pretty bay:

(****ty plastic fuel filter has since been changed and a temporary shorty intake has been thrown on)

Rear header in the works:

From the front header:

Custom y-pipe:

Back half:

Flowmaster and tip:

Just idling she sounds pissed.. lol

Installed this last week:

Glove box set up (definitely needs to be reworked a bit):

Still to come:

Currently she's running stupid rich but that's due to a map that was thrown together in like 5 minutes just to get her started.
After my surgery, we'll get some tuning in and about 2 weeks or so from now she'll be cruising the streets thumbsup.gif
Tigawoods
hows the healing going man?

cant believe you got a Racepak before me!! Did you place it in front of the stock cluster or did you make a panel for it?
rave2n
Holy hell that is a beautiful project!
smkr3w
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jan 8, 2016 - 5:20 AM) *
hows the healing going man?

cant believe you got a Racepak before me!! Did you place it in front of the stock cluster or did you make a panel for it?

It's going well, the doctor cleared me for 100% weight bearing so I can finally ditch the crutches.. still have the knee brace for another couple months lol

Yeah it was an expensive venture but well worth it. I made a panel for it in front of the stock cluster. Cut a slot in the top surround and on the panel there's a tab that it pairs with. and the shroud that goes around the ignition across the top of the steering column locks it in place.

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jan 8, 2016 - 11:37 AM) *
Holy hell that is a beautiful project!

Thanks man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.