Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MN's 1MZ 6GC
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
TimeslideZ
Hello, my name is Toua Vang, I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.
As some of you know I bought snapshotgt's 1MZ Celica roughly about a year ago.

UPDATE: Photos went to crap after Photobucket for so long, so I deleted most of them except the recent one's (of 6/28/17). IMGUR all the way!

The story of acquiring the car:
After my 5GC GTS and my 20V AE102G, I was in the market for something unique (that's Toyota).
I had a pet peev about rust, so to find a rust free car meant travelling out of MN cause most of them are usually RUSTY.
Long story short, I almost flew out to the East coast (MA) for a 2nd gen 3sgte 5GC OR a 4th gen 3sgte CAMRY ALL-TRAC.
I DID fly out to the West coast (CA) and almost bought a 5GC GTS but the guy (honest mistake) lied about it being a manual.
Then I finally went to the southcoast (TX) to get Colin's 1MZ 6GC. 18 hour drive home and my very first ticket (speeding); totally worth it.

Once I got it back to the states I immediately put on my brother's spacers (20mm front, 25mm rear) so the 7GC GTS wheels sits more flush.
Rode it like that from Spring to Fall, then stored it in the Winter. Now that Spring is back around I got to doing some changes to the car.
Sadly though I don't have all the images as my old phone had them and it died on me; but I have some photos here and there.

What I have done so far:
Audio system: I like music, and my brothers had an unused sub and amp so I installed that.
New intake filter: I decided to keep K&N, but w/ a more coned shaped filter than cylindrical. I did clean the old one and still have it just in case.
Euro riser blocks: I didn't want the GT4 cause it looked too high for my liking, but I definitely like the height of the euro versions.
Wheels ant tires: I ended up fixing my brother's 5zigen FNO1R-C (much curb and salt rash), painting them, and getting new tires.
Box
Welcome! I really liked that car, so much so that had it been closer I'd have bought it most likely.
Wild202
Very interesting.
How does the car travel with this engine?
Smaay
im not familiar with this swap, did i help with it?
Batman722
QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 23, 2017 - 10:38 AM) *
im not familiar with this swap, did i help with it?

no, not everything is about you Jeff.
As unbelievable as it seems, others have done a 1mz swap before you were around on the forum.

Nice to see Colin's car with a good owner, looking good "thumbsup:

here's some backround on Colin's story.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53507

and then

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61666
Bushmatic
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Apr 22, 2017 - 4:49 PM) *
Hello, my name is Toua Vang, I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.

This quote just made it into my signature laugh.gif

Really great car, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (Wild202 @ Apr 22, 2017 - 11:34 PM) *
Very interesting.
How does the car travel with this engine?

It's not bad actually, pulls really good all things considered.
I have a video somewhere from last year, I'll see if I can find it.
But gotta love the low end torque, given that it lives most of it's life under 3000 rpm.
TimeslideZ
Sorry it's been a while, I thought to post up the next reply but then I figured I had to wait a bit for the thread to pop up first.

Anyhow, the new intake has been in since earlier this year (2017) around Feb. I didn't drive it but man was I too excited to put in the new one.
I also attempted to clean the old one and keep it just in case something goes wrong.

Next are the awesome Euro blocks from EndWorks! If you're looking for OEM alternatives I would highly recommend his stuff.
Although I had to do some extra fitting on one side of the blocks it turned out really nice. (The right side had one hole that didn't fit.
I ended just drilling the hole to make it fit better. Also got new stainless steel bolts and washers from Menards.)
Here's the arrival of them.

When I first bought the car I knew it had some trunk rust on the wings, so here I am checking out how bad it was.

I ended up sanding it down and bondo over it to cover up the metal. Originally I was going to repaint the spots and leave it but after trying out the blocks they actually cover up the area. So in addition to primer/paint/coat I added some black plasti-dip under it so (hopefully) water doesn't get to the new spot. Sadly I totally forgot to take pictures of the process. But here they are on and fitted.

Next update will be the wheel setup (hopefully I'll post tomorrow), I haven't gotten the new one's on yet since my right wheel bearing is going out so I'm going to replace both sides along with the torn boots. I remember Colin having issues with this since the axles setup is stretching the boots out too much, I'll have to see what I can do about it.
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 22, 2017 - 7:31 PM) *
Welcome! I really liked that car, so much so that had it been closer I'd have bought it most likely.

Ha ha thanks man, I know I didn't think I would go out so far to get it.
But given it's uniqueness and how clean it is (compared to a rusty Northern car) I had to get it.
It was this or a MR2; but I couldn't find any good MR2's during my search for the right price.
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (Bushmatic @ Apr 26, 2017 - 10:57 PM) *
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Apr 22, 2017 - 4:49 PM) *

This quote just made it into my signature laugh.gif

Really great car, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Holy crap I JUST realized my grammar mistake haha. Oh well, it probably does run in my blood so I'll just keep it so.
Box
I love the Euro risers, always wanted a set for mine.
block
We Minnesotans have great taste lol. We have this, 400hp 3sgte, k-swapped 6g, etc.

I seriously considered this car but it didn't fit my budget. Hope to see it roam the streets of MN!
ricochet1490
i was wondering what happened to this car. Looks really nice man
TimeslideZ
Alright, wheel time! Jk, not yet. As stated earlier I found that my right wheel bearing is going out so I haven't had time to put the new wheels on.
The wheels are old school 5zigen FNO1RC 17x8 +35mm wrapped in Yokohama S-Drive (235/40/17).

Short story: These wheels have been in the family for over 5 years. It started out on a 7GC from my cousin to which my brother then bought it from him for his 6GC.

My brother actually still has the car, although it's now on it's 3rd brother haha. Sadly my 2nd brother who owned it rode them through winter a couple of times so a lot of rash and erosion. After getting to my 3rd brother, he decided to give me the wheels as I was looking for new wheels. I ended up taking it to the shop to fix them up and paint them (hyper silver). It was neat that the shop also balanced and fitted my new tires too! I don't have previous photos as my old phone died on me but I do have it when they're done!

Got me some new lugs too! Muteki SR35. I chose closed ended just for better erosion protection, else open ended!

Originally my setup was 20mm/25mm front/rear spacers on the stock 7GC GTS wheels. I saw a few others online running the new setup and had 10mm/20mm front/rear. Currently I have the 20mm swapped to the back but I still gotta order 10mm spacers in the front.

But they're off currently until I get my wheel bearings & inner cv boots replaced, which I'm going to be doing next week!
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ May 11, 2017 - 8:42 PM) *
i was wondering what happened to this car. Looks really nice man

Thanks man! I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible with adding a few mods. It's so hard to find cleaner 6gc's up in MN, especially a Baltic Blue one.
JDUB
Hey that's my old celica (Topaz brown)! The guy bought it from me while I was stationed in Nebraska! Always loved snapshots v6, looking good man!
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (JDUB @ May 13, 2017 - 8:40 PM) *
Hey that's my old celica (Topaz brown)! The guy bought it from me while I was stationed in Nebraska! Always loved snapshots v6, looking good man!

Ha ha hey! Thanks bro. Yeah I remember when my brother and my cousin came and got it from you. Lol he definitely pioneered the whole "out of state" buying for my family, although I've definitely taken it the farthest travelling to both west and south coast (CA & TX).
It's kinda beat up now (sorry), but if money is right (or time eventually gives) plans are on the way to restore it (or at least get a 3sgte, the old 5sfe is already over 300k).
TimeslideZ
Alright some update! It's been a while since the last update.
Got my wheels on! But I'm having new issues that I'll address in a bit.

First off, I went in for an alignment. There's a guy up here in MN named Jeff (The Alignment Guy). He deals with custom alignment (drifting, tracking, lowered ride, etc.)
Pretty good for a one man army. IS NOT AFRAID to express his feelings (boy did he say f*** a lot to my camber bolts; and seems to hate his job; but he's good at it.

After the alignment, I started getting a huge road noise. Turned out to be my front driver rotor essentially grinding on my pads. So new pads and resurfaced rotors!
I went with NAPA Adaptive Pads since I needed the car up and running ASAP; else I would've gotten something online and better.

Next is wheel balancing (again). Steering wheels still shake so I'm taking the easier way out; cause if it's still shaking it might be the axle (PLZ NO).
I also went on a small amateur photography afternoon-evening by myself. Found an almost empty but very quiet Metro Transit parking lot.
TimeslideZ
Sorry for super late update on the photo's. Not the best photos or edits; but it's a work in progress!
Anyhow I found a couple hours and a nearly open Metro-Transit parking lot where I took some photos.
Got some VIDEOS too; but still trying to figure out how to add them. I might just end up putting them on youtube.

Shortly after this session I got a LOUD grinding sound from my left wheel bearing.
Turns out I didn't properly press in both sides, so I ended up getting some hubs from a 97 ST at the local junkyard.
Much rustier than the originals, but do they ride smoother. I'll re-do the original hubs whenever these go bad.

No major updates so far; but cosmetically I changed the side markers to a set of clear depo one's I had and returned the 3rd clear trunk light to red.
Did it so all the front light covers are clear and the rear is (mostly) red. Eventually I'll get some more Wolfie front clear turn signals again.
Added some 194 LED's to the license plates, door lights, and side markers.
TimeslideZ
Two videos up! I have them as "unlisted" on youtube so the only way you'll see it is through this link.

Inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ93jEAdLTU
Outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbLkw6BFLs
ClevelandGaint
Looks clean still! Always like that swap. Any new additions coming soon for it?
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (ClevelandGaint @ Jul 27, 2017 - 3:27 PM) *
Looks clean still! Always like that swap. Any new additions coming soon for it?

I bought some rear spats from the K-turbo 6gc in MN, but I still have to repaint them. Going to get some front spats as well from funked. Nothing else power wise, unless I find myself a supercharger or 2gr... Then we in business. But winter is coming up and I got have a beater... So I might go get a rusty Celica take the beating for my summer daily.
cheela
celi's looking great. you're really making it your own. we gotta meet up some day and take some pics together. smile.gif
snapshotgt
Toua, I am glad to see the Celica went to such a good home! You've made great additions. I gotta say there is a special place in my heart for that car. Keep up the good work!!
block
Saw you on White Bear Ave turning on to 694W a couple months back. Very nice Celica as we don't seem these on the road as much anymore. The only thing that kind of looked out of place was the "V6" but it's not my car laugh.gif
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (cheela @ Aug 2, 2017 - 12:53 PM) *
celi's looking great. you're really making it your own. we gotta meet up some day and take some pics together. smile.gif

Ha ha thanks man, definitely one day we will! But wait, let me get some spats on first haha. Maybe next year spring?

QUOTE (snapshotgt @ Aug 30, 2017 - 6:40 PM) *
Toua, I am glad to see the Celica went to such a good home! You've made great additions. I gotta say there is a special place in my heart for that car. Keep up the good work!!

Ha ha thanks Colin! She will be continued to be treated the best I can provide. Maybe one day I'll bring it back down on a road trip! Who knows haha.

QUOTE (block @ Aug 30, 2017 - 8:18 PM) *
Saw you on White Bear Ave turning on to 694W a couple months back. Very nice Celica as we don't seem these on the road as much anymore. The only thing that kind of looked out of place was the "V6" but it's not my car laugh.gif

Ha ha yes, I barely see any other cleans ones on the streets of MN. He he I'm still debating if I want to take that sign off but we'll see. I always enjoy hearing people talk about that sign when they see my car.
TimeslideZ
Long time no update. I haven't done too much to the car so there hasn't been anything big lately.
I did however get some new clear turn signals from Wolfie so I got those installed!
Also visited the junkyard the other day, found a ST Limited model and I took the emblem for the mirror cover.

Whelps links are being funny so I'll just link the album on the build: https://imgur.com/a/8hGqu

I was about to follow Wolfie's recommendation of adding a small black line to make it look OEM, but the adhesive in the turn signal cover was mixed w/ chrome paint so I ended up adding more adhesive into the cover as well as essentially covering the outer part of the lenses.

On the car, photo isn't the best.

I opted for the the whole "clear" lenses in the front and "red" lenses in the rear so match it up better. But the next thing I have to do is get all the lights to match, cause all three (headlight, high beams, and fog) emit different color lights.

On the side note, the mission for a daily (winter at least, year-round preferable) driver begins before snow and salt hits. Plus my right cv axle is clicking so I need to find a new ST185 axle. I want OEM but man is it kinda expensive, so maybe used OEM? Not sure if I trust any aftermarket one's so I might end up forking the money for a OEM one.
Also still waiting to see if Funked can still get me them front st202 TRD spats. Then come next year both front and rear spats will be painted and on! Thinking about upgrading the brakes to the Avalon dual piston as well, just for kicks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.