Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '98 Celica GT: The Continuation....
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
njccmd2002
This thread got boring. Mods, close///
NgoFcukinWay
So in lieu of getting laid off from work today, I figured I'd get some things taken care of that I've been meaning to get done. Ironically enough, I was going to request a day off to do all of this, but they went ahead and made it permanent for me.

First thing's first. I had the Supra's front bumper repainted a couple of weeks ago due to the paint flaking off for whatever the dumb reason was and hadn't installed it back onto the car until I got the bumper wrapped in clear bra, so here it is:

It's getting wrapped in a new product called Premium Shield. Works the same as Xpel with the same warranty.

While the bumper was getting wrapped, I sat around in this thing that was in the process of getting a full car wrap and ceramic coating

I'll be back to do this type of work again on Monday. I kind of miss it and beats sitting at a desk all day. Bumper will be ready for pick-up Monday once it's all dried and cured.

After that, it was time for a drive across town to get some more work done on the Celica.

Dragged the motor outside to remove the oil pump and water pump in order to remove the oil pan and boy was I in for a surprise.

God damnit....What the hell is this? Metal shavings, red RTV, some other weird clump. What was supposed to be a simple refresh turned into a full teardown and inspection, so here we go.

Valve cover off and it's looking pretty good in there.

Cam caps and cams are off. Nothing surprising.

Head is off and this looks weird....

Time to flip it over and get to the good stuff.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the rotating assembly as it started to get late into the evening and I was ready to go home once I got everything out, but upon a quick inspection, the main bearings looked to be in good condition as well as the thrust washers. Rod bearings were a little rough, but not too bad. Probably will be replacing those. Surfaces on the crank looked to be pretty good.

Nekkid block.

Tomorrow, I'm heading back south to the shop after I hit the junk yard to do some more work on the motor. Goal for tomorrow is to double-check the bearings and mating surfaces, give the block and oil pick-up a very thorough cleaning, and hopefully tackle the valve stem seals or the S51 5th gear. In the mean time, I'll need to order a new headgasket, ARP head studs, thrust washers, and possibly new bearings.

Thank you for joining my Ted Talk.
NgoFcukinWay
Quick update as of recent:

OEM S54 5th gear.

Selector arm removed.

Synchros off courtesy of a steering wheel puller.

S54 driven gear is out. You can see it on the floor to the left. Used a couple of pry bars to get it out. Super tight fit.

5th gear out exposing the pesky needle bearings.

S51 5th gear and driven gear in along with synchros.

Everything else buttoned right up. Tolerances were tight. To help ease installation of the driven gear and the synchros, you can boil them in hot water for a bit to get them to expand before slipping them on. In my case, I took a socket and a hammer to the driven gear. Getting the 5th gear and the synchros on required a second person to prop the gear against the synchros as they were hammered down to prevent the synchros from coming apart because when they do, it's a pain in the ass.

Sent the bare block, head, crank, and flywheel off to the machine shop for some clean, polishing, and resurfacing respectively.

Now, it's time to tackle the valve train.

GSC ALL THE THINGS!!

Valve stem seals, valve springs, and titanium retainers. Probably gonna dream a bit, but would be nice to see if i can hit an 8000 RPM redline.

The tools required to do the valve stem seals.

Titanium retainer up top with the OEM retainer underneath.
OEM valve keepers.
OEM valve spring to the left of the GSC valve spring.

Old, worn OEM valve stem seal on top and GSC on bottom.

1 down. 15 more to go.

And we are done!

Went to the junk yard a couple of weeks ago to grab some shimless buckets out of a couple of Corollas and a Yaris giving me 48 in total. Going to another yard on Friday to see if I can snag some more so I have enough to use in the Supra as well. Ordered a Cometic headgasket along with ARP head studs as well, so they're waiting to go in.

Ordered some King Racing rod and main bearings today along with some Total Seal piston rings. Bearings should be here right after Christmas so I can at least have the crank sitting back in the block so I can go ahead and install the oil pump with the front main seal along with the rear main seal. Will be honing the cylinders as well so everything's pretty.

Now I just gotta figure out what the part numbers are for some of these damn coolant hoses running around the motor and hopefully I can remember where all of the other parts go as I'm reassembling things. I'm gon' die...
NgoFcukinWay
So ummm..... This happened:

richee3
This will decimate some after you put about fifteen grand in it. If we have to, overnight parts from Dallas.
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 31, 2019 - 4:47 PM) *
This will decimate some after you put about fifteen grand in it. If we have to, overnight parts from Dallas.

Facts.

Everything has been dropped off to the machine shop for work and assembly. Will update with current shenanigans when that comes back.
NgoFcukinWay
I'm starting to hate Photobucket again.

Anywho, since the last episode of Dragonball Z, I've had to do a bit more work to the block. I found out where the metal bits that were on the oil pick-up came from.

Piston #3 essentially ate itself and took a ring land with it which resulted in this:

It marked up cylinder 3 pretty good, so it had to be bored out.

Also, the piston ring #2 for piston #4 decided it wanted to be a permanent marking of the piston:

That ended up being a major bummer, so I went ahead and used that time to clear off all of that janky ass blue RTV silicone that was all over the throttle body and inlet body. Buddy of mine had a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it, so off I went.

Oh, heeeyyy... Would ya look at that... There's an OEM gasket hiding under all of that mess. Might spray a coat of gasket maker on it and reuse it since it's a metal gasket and not a paper/plastic one.

Also started to clean off the intake manifold, and TVIS manifold, and just about everything else that was caked in grease.

Don't really have a lot of Before & After pics of this process, but basically imagine everything being black and greasy to clean and looking like aluminum again.

Ordered bigger Wiseco 9.0:1 compression pistons in the 86.5mm form along with some ARP rod bolts and off everything went to the machine shop.

Block received a good cleaning and had the surface decked along with getting the freeze plugs replaced with some new brass ones.

The head was dropped off to be decked as well and also cleaned.

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Justin at PrimeDriven in regards to getting the correct Cometic headgasket that I need so I can glue the head down to the block. I'll be back at the shop on Tuesday to assemble what I can of the short block in the mean time.
richee3
All of that is entirely too clean to be reassembled and put back in the car. So the plan is to put the harness back on, run it for a bit, then clean the harness up later?
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 24, 2019 - 5:12 PM) *
All of that is entirely too clean to be reassembled and put back in the car. So the plan is to put the harness back on, run it for a bit, then clean the harness up later?

For what I paid for these 2 parts, I might as well leave'em up for decoration in my room and buy another used motor. lol
NgoFcukinWay
some more progress. nothing too major I suppose.

2mm Cometic headgasket in with ARP head studs.

Head torqued down per ARP's specs. New oil pump, water pump, ATS adjustable cam gears, and Gates Racing timing belt installed with a new tensioner pulley and tensioner.

Mounted up the turbo for ****s and giggles.

Valve cover got sent off today for powder coating to match the TiAL BOV. If funds allow, I may have the manifold heat shield and the turbo compressor housing coated to match. Will depend on how everything else painted flat black will go. Pretty boring, but I'm ok with it.

I also need to order a new downpipe as the current/old one has some pretty nice cracks going on and I think, by the looks of it, it's going to prevent the wastegate from fully opening anyways.

It's supposed to rain pretty gnarly the next couple of days, but hopefully it'll clear up by Thursday so I can head back to the shop and continue painting and sorting out other parts.
bloodMoney
Are you going to send out the manifold for coating to match the turbo?
enderswift
I have an extra 3s downpipe I want to get rid of. Brand new from gt4play:

https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/high-flow-3-down-pipe

PM me if you're interested
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Mar 13, 2019 - 7:16 AM) *
Are you going to send out the manifold for coating to match the turbo?

I'm tempted, but if you're willing to donate a bit, I can get it done. lol

QUOTE (enderswift @ Mar 13, 2019 - 9:43 AM) *
I have an extra 3s downpipe I want to get rid of. Brand new from gt4play:

https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/high-flow-3-down-pipe

PM me if you're interested

PM sent.
bloodMoney
lolol I've got another kid on the way.... There's no money for anything....
enderswift
Another one?!?
NgoFcukinWay
Picked up a Berk 3" downpipe from PrimeDriven with some store credit I had. I found it odd that I needed to grind down a bit of the flange so that my wastegate flap thingy would clear to open and close properly, but it's not really a big deal.

Valve cover powder coated and I grabbed a couple of cans of matte black bbq grill paint and started painting a bunch of stuff (intake & exhaust manifold, throttle body, heat shields, timing covers, misc brackets, etc). Painted the "Yamaha" and the timing marks on the cover with some white-out. Ordered a bunch more bolts from Toyota to replaced the rusted ones along with a new idler pulley for the alternator/AC compressor as that one was rusted and bearing was going out.

Can someone confirm if the 2 water lines circled in red are connected? Is blue the water feed for the turbo?

Are the red and yellow for the heater core and where does the green one go off to?
NgoFcukinWay

not sure what else has been sorted out since my last post, but from what I can remember, I broke some more **** (water line for the IACV. gonna bypass that), installed the OEM 2JZGTE 550cc injectors, and got the wiring harness mounted and plugged in (for the most part). Nothing all that great I suppose, but it's better than nothing. The motor is about 90% assembled and just about ready to go back into the car, but before that....

It's time to sort out the mess in the engine bay. There's a lot of random wires and misc. crap running through the bay and through odd orifices and the bay's paint could really use some refreshening, so I figured now would be the time to do it.

While I was cleaning up, I took a gander over at the AC condenser and would ya look at that? Would ya just look at it?!

It's kinda hard to tell, but the condenser has a bowling affect to it. Looks like something hit it pretty good from the front and pressed it in, so I ordered a new condenser....and compressor....and drier....and expansion valve... sheesh...

Took the pressure washer to the bay and went to town after I did a quick scuff of 320 grit to the bay...and then someone left me unsupervised...

I think my pressure washer calligraphy skills are getting a little better. lol

After a few hours, finally got a good majority of the things I needed cleaned and taped up. This is gonna be a pretty quick and dirty paint job since it's a black car. Also cleaned up and pressure washed the front crossmember as well.

Called it a day there and decided that I wanted to take the rear spoiler off to repaint as well since the clear coat has seen better days. The rear hatch has seen better days as well with a rust patch by the Toyota emblem and some dings by the front post of the spoiler wing thing.

Doesn't look too bad wingless, I suppose, but I eventually plan to run a TRD wing on it.

Was starting to run out of daylight and I don't have access to the shop since my friend's out of the country for vacation, so I took the wing home and started work on it.

Started to knock off the clear coat using some 150 grit sand paper and progressively worked my way up to 400 grit. It was probably unnecessary to go that high, but figured it wouldn't hurt to do so. Minus the still-visible paint, the wing is pretty smooth.

Found a couple of small spots on the rear wing that's gonna need some body filler, so I'll be doing that sometime this weekend when it rains. It's been raining off and on these last few days and is supposed to be continuing to do so for the next couple of weeks, but there looks to be a pocket of sun shine this weekend that I want to try to take advantage of to prep the rear hatch for paint work.

The reason I'm doing more paint work than I probably should is because I bought some SprayMax 2K filler primer and 2K clear coat. They're pretty expensive at about $20/can, so I wanted to maximize the usage out of each can. Hopefully I have the patience to not make it look like ass. We'll find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!
bloodMoney
I loathe bodywork..... I just don't have the patience for it.
Box
I can't decide what's worse, bodywork or interior.
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 28, 2019 - 7:05 AM) *
I loathe bodywork..... I just don't have the patience for it.

I'm not looking forward to it either. Mainly the rusted bit, but i'll find out soon enough tomorrow.

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 28, 2019 - 6:24 PM) *
I can't decide what's worse, bodywork or interior.

Bodyterior. I don't mind interior work too much depending on what it is. Body work is all new to me minus doing detailing work. I think it should be ok though....maybe...
Box
Just replacing pieces on either isn't too bad, but extensive body work or interior work... Hmmmm.... At least interior work is cleaner, so there's that I guess.
NgoFcukinWay
So umm....yeah...

Not sure how I'll be tackling this one. Maybe a sledge hammer or something. The rust actually crept down towards the lip edge of the hatch, so it's pretty nasty, but I spray some rust coating thing over it in the mean time to hold it over til then. I won't be keeping this hatch around for long.

Other than that, got the rear hatch sanded down up to about 320 grit. It'll do for now.

And then before the storm came a-rumblin' through, I got the bay primered.

I said "fck it" and did one thicc a$$ coat before the storm. Gonna hit it with another light coat later when I get around to wrapping up the rear hatch. In the mean time, I'm gonna finish primer coating the front crossmember in my back yard since I'm home now and the storm has passed...for now...
Box
Just fill any rust holes with Bondo like most anyone else. laugh.gif
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 29, 2019 - 9:44 PM) *
Just fill any rust holes with Bondo like most anyone else. laugh.gif

I honestly probably could. The holes are about the size of a dime, so it won't be THAT bad of a temp repair.

Went ahead and painted the front cross member last night along with the motor mount.

The poly bushing sandwich piece thing got painted, too, because it's getting replaced with an actual poly bushing from BRD once I can dig up my rear mount to confirm with Lou.

Heading back down to the shop today to do some more grunt work because it looks like the weather is gonna be clear for the rest of the day.
NgoFcukinWay
So we had a break in the weather today. It was forecast to rain today, but I guess Mother Nature decided to offer a break and gave us a rain-free, sunny afternoon. I took this opportunity to pack up my **** and drive the 43 miles across town to get working on the car.

I didn't really take a whole lot of pictures of the progress, but I managed to plug up the rust holes in the reat hatch with some bondo. Tried to do it for the holes from the old 3-post spoilers, but I don't think it'll hold up that well. Coated whatever exposed rust with that rust preventative paint or whatever it's called.

Still has a couple of divets, but that'll be packed in with primer to make it flush-ish. Also filled in the holes for the rear Toyota badge as well. I'm not even gonna bother with that dent on the hatch lid. lol

After some drying time with the rust coating, it was time to primer.

Got fancy with some of that SprayMax 2K primer. Same primer I used in the engine bay. It's a good primer, but doesn't like to be sprayed in a position other than vertical, so it's made it kind of a chore doing the horizontal surface of the hatch. I managed to get a light, first coat on the hatch along with a light coat and a few touch-ups in the engine bay, and rear spoiler. When it came to the second, heavy coat, it started to lose its efficiency and I ran out about halfway. I'm gonna pick up another can tomorrow and possibly a can of Rustoleam primer as well just in case.

You can kinda see where the can started to run out of breath, so I left it at that. Hopefully weather will hold out some more later this week and let me finish this job.

Also, if anyone is looking to delete their rear wipe arm, the MK4 Supra butt plug fits.

NgoFcukinWay

Some spots still look like dog ass, but it's still way better than it was before and that was the goal. Now to glue everything back together.
Box
Glue? Supposed to use cable ties ala Honda style.
NgoFcukinWay
Cable ties is amateur league. We're in JV now.
NgoFcukinWay
Let's see.......

I started cleaning up the wiring mess that was left behind the pillar pod and driver's foot well area.

I also plucked out the old Viper alarm that was in the car along with the Blitz turbo timer as well. I got rid of those pedal covers cuz my shoe laces kept getting caught on the screws that help them stay in place.

This was basically everything I pulled from the driver's area.

Passenger side was pretty neat.

Yikes.

Took that little bit of the body harness home to organize a bit. Was told a lot of that can be removed, so I will be doing that this weekend. Hopefully I don't phuc anything up.

I placed an order for new poly engine mounts from Lou over at BRD in the UK. They got sent out today, so hopefully they'll be here mid-week next week so I can drop the motor in by week's end.

In the mean time, it was time to take care of AC stuff.

Replacing the condenser because, you know...

yeah.....I've no idea how something like that can happen.

Replaced the compressor as well. Old one looked like poo and I'd rather be ready for this south Texas heat. By now, I had ran out of day light and I was getting pretty hungry, so called it a day for now. Heading back tomorrow to finish replacing the AC dryer and the o-rings for the ends going to the fire wall. I might have a leak somewhere because when I had the system discharged before starting this, there was barely any freon left in the system. Should be buttoning up the driver's side area as well since I was needing a butt connector that I forgot to bring with me.

I'm getting pretty close to getting this thing together. For a while, I was losing motivation to keep working on the car and feeling indifferent about it. I was at this same point with the Supra as well years ago when the motor wasn't in the car. Even as I'm getting closer to the finish line, I still feel indifferent about it and whether or not I want to keep the car after all is said and done. Maybe cuz it's been me working on the car solo 95% of the time and it feels kinda meh. I guess time will tell though.
Box
I think you'll feel better about it once it's up and running again, it's normal to feel disdain towards things that aren't working and are taking forever to put right. I know exactly what that's like...
bloodMoney
+1 on what Box said.

Plus, working by yourself sucks donkey balls. At least having someone who is hanging out is better than being completely alone.

I'm beginning to enjoy having Theo in the garge with me... something about a two year old playing around the garage shouting "ugga dugga time!" helps.

The random hugs don't hurt either.
cheela
I feel the same. Haven't touched mine in a long while because of wedding season but part of me thinks it's just an excuse to not get in there. Working alone sucks especially when you hit a wall. Mine is so close too but I'm losing motivation as well. But I do want to drive it again so it'll have to get done.
Box
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jul 26, 2019 - 7:12 AM) *
I'm beginning to enjoy having Theo in the garge with me... something about a two year old playing around the garage shouting "ugga dugga time!" helps.

The random hugs don't hurt either.

Awww, that sounds too cute. laugh.gif
NgoFcukinWay
Thanks, guys.

I forgot to mention that this is my drive to go work on my car and this is on a GOOD day. So this, plus this Texas heat makes me not want to do anything else, but i'm making progress.

Not much other update today.

Got the AC dryer replaced along with the o-rings at the firewall, so now the engine bay is practically ready.

Driver's side interior is sorted out now and looks a lot less cluttered. I need to find some kind of a carpet dye or something so I can dye the floor mats black. I'll sort out that random wire later. I also have most of that ECU/body harness sorted out and now just have to mock everything up to see how much of the wiring I need to shorten for a cleaner finish.

I guess during the down time waiting for the motor mount bushings to come in, I'll sort out whatever is happening in the back half of the car, so I'll hopefully get to that next week if it doesn't rain.
NgoFcukinWay
So I didn't get to drop in the motor last week like I had hoped, but I still was able to make some progress anyways.

Last week, I moved the AC compressor to the block from AC lines and also mounted the power steering pump the block as well. Got the belts ran and tightened as well.

The motor mount bushings from BRD came in last week as well, so I went ahead and used this weekend to install them into the motor mounts at home. I left the instructions at the shop, so I yolo-ed this 5hit. I made a boo-boo with the front motor mount, but it wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed.

Took a reciprocating saw to the bushings to make quick work of it all then torched the remaining rubber bushings on the mounts to dry them up in order to scrape them off.

Luckily, I had a vice on hand, so it made pressing the bushings in a lot easier.

And uh..... That's about it for now.... More later this week I hope.
Box
Kill them with fire!
NgoFcukinWay
I honestly kinda didn't think I'd get this far, but uh....yeah...

The olde 4Runner wasn't available to be used as a hoist, so we used the lift itself.

(Spec I think) flywheel bolted on with ARP flywheel bolts torqued down to 95Ft-Lb per ARP's specs.

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance hybrid clutch glued onto the flywheel.

S54, starter, and crossmember duct taped to the motor. I also slipped on another firewall grommet to the harness since there is a hole cut out in the firewall by where the stock ECU sits and that's where the harness is running through instead of the factory spot. Peep the little moped. Don't mind the broken Supras in the back though.

And to end the night, we pushed the car into the shop to get ready to bubble gum the motor into the car tomorrow morning. Hopefully all goes well.
jim7564
interesting build thread (just read it from start to finish) that is some amount of work you have put into it,engine looks cool as feck.what turbo you running on there (looks like a hybrid) any plans on running an external wastegate for a more even boost.i have a Greddy oled controller and their really great to use.
good luck with it
bloodMoney
Looks like you have a few hours of work left!

Can't wait to hear it run!
Box
That scooter though.
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (jim7564 @ Aug 6, 2019 - 3:00 AM) *
interesting build thread (just read it from start to finish) that is some amount of work you have put into it,engine looks cool as feck.what turbo you running on there (looks like a hybrid) any plans on running an external wastegate for a more even boost.i have a Greddy oled controller and their really great to use.
good luck with it

Thanks! It's been a lot more work than I was initially expecting. It's been fun and kind of stressful at the same time. It's probably one of the fastest rebuilds I've seen in a while at something like 8 months now since I pulled the motor.

As for the turbo, it's kind of a hybrid. It's a CT20B with upgraded billet internals from TurboBay out in Florida here in the states. I don't know all the specs of it, but it's supposed to be pretty beefy. I'm hoping the factory wastegate actuator will hold. I'd like to run an external wastegate, but if I'm going to be going through all that trouble, I might as well do an aftermarket manifold with maybe a Borg Warner EFR or SXE turbo granted the EFR probably won't need an external wastegate to function properly.

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Aug 6, 2019 - 7:15 AM) *
Looks like you have a few hours of work left!

Can't wait to hear it run!

It's gonna be a few more days of work. lol I need to rip out the interior to see what wiring shenanigans is going on with the fuel pump, audio, and water injection so I can clean it all up to my liking & preference.

QUOTE (Box @ Aug 6, 2019 - 8:57 PM) *
That scooter though.

I've been meaning to take it out around the airfield, but I've been too busy working on the car. I'll try to give myself a break next time to take it out and hopefully not get hit by a plane. lol Maybe I'll strap the GoPro to it while I take it out. lol

And update for today.

Car is up on the lift in order to slide the motor underneath. I didn't take a whole lot of pics during the whole process since I was given a deadline, so I'll just describe e'rythang I did. One of the front bolts for the crossmember had rusted and broken off in the chassis, so I had to drill that sumbitch out and tap it for a new one. After that, slid the motor under the car and removed the crossmember that I had gleefully bolted on to the motor in my haste of excitement. Pulled off the two front wheels and down the car went.

Engine is home and bolted down by the passenger and driver's side (transmission) mount.

Hoisted the bird back up to tackle everything else underneath. Got the axles in with new seals along with the crossmember. One of the studs for the rear motor mount stripped out, so it just sat there spinning, but I guess 2 out of 3 isn't so bad. While I was under there, I attached the power steering pressure line to the pump and then fed the wiring harness through the firewall. Om nom nom.

During the whole process, the right (driver's side) engine hook got bent in, so I'm gonna have to pull that off and straighten it back out. It's pretty obvious in this pic:

This is where I ended the night. Spent a little more time to sort through and organize the extra wiring on the driver's side, pushed the throttle cable back through the fire wall, and also replaced the shifter bushings with the red ones I got from BRD. While I was doing that, I realized that some poly bushings were already there. Oh well. If anyone wants some used black ones, just pay for shipping. lol I also need to figure out what to do about the oil dipstick. By the looks of it, the downpipe is in the way of the dipstick's function.

I'm hoping whatever air filter combination I come up with helps hide a lot of the snakes of wires.

Next plan is to figure out how to get the lower rubber bumps for the radiator to fit the Mishimoto posts. Seems the opening for the rubber bumps is too small to fit the Mishimotor radiator. I'll probably grab a drill bit and bore it out. Once that's in, I can figure out how long of a -10AN line I need for the oil return and the -4AN for the oil feed on the turbo. From there, I can move to the back of the car and sort through the wiring for the fuel pump, audio, and water injection. Maybe I'll get to that later this week.
Box
Wooo, it's a car again!
cheela
Come do mine! I have no time. frown.gif
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (cheela @ Aug 7, 2019 - 8:56 AM) *
Come do mine! I have no time. frown.gif

I'm electrically illiterate. The best I can do is wire **** up via instructions and car audio stuff, so I'll gladly accept the title of "Electrically Useless".

So, after much deliberation, I will be sourcing another '98 5S harness and an ST185 3S harness to send out to Doug at WireGap to have a new harness made. I honestly don't want to play this guessing game anymore to figure out what wires are going where and for what reason cuz it's honestly stressing me out and I honestly think it's kinda dumb seeing the things I've found. It'll also help clean up a lot of the unnecessary connectors that are currently floating around in the engine bay (which is a fck ton).

This will allow me to run a newer, updated standalone like a plug-and-play Link G4+ or a plug-and-play ECUMasters EMU Black which will give me the option of having more than 1 available tuner in town since everyone except one guy has dropped MegaSquirt from their list. I also like the fact that the Link G4+ is a board that can fit into the factory ECU case, so it makes mounting the ECU a breeze and hassle-free. This should also allow me to no longer require this external knock sensor box that came with the car, but I'll double check with my tuner before I decide to ditch it.

I also think I'll be ditching the water injection as well and prep the car for E85/flex fuel next year instead. I already have a standalone, fuel filter, sensor, and lines, so I'll just need to pick up a rail and injectors down the road. There's a crap ton of E85 stations in town, so I'm not worried about limited availability. If I'm not mistaken, water injection does somewhat of the same thing as E85 to help keep IATs and cylinders cool. Either way, one less thing to have in the car: both the system and having a gallon of go-go juice on hand at all times.

Trying to do what I can to de-clutter this car as much as possible.

Yay! More down time!
cheela
Yay! I still have a chance to win then! lol
Box
Ugh wiring is the worst, especially when previous owners screw it up. Don't blame you.
NgoFcukinWay
So, while waiting for the harnesses I ordered to show up, I got bored and decided to go ahead and swap out the regular ole door panels for the 8-speaker premium panels. I also slapped in the 4" mid-speakers in just as a place holder in the mean time and to clear up some shelf space in my garage at home.

It was nice of the eBay seller to include new upper moldings for the door panels as the driver's one is rekt. Driver's arm rest is going to need some repairs as it looks like it's caved in a bit. Should be an easy fix though.

Plan is to eventually run Focal 3-way component speakers up front with 6.5" woofers out back powered by a NVX 4-channel mini amp and I'll be keeping the powered 8" sub that came with the car for some low-end boom-boom.

I also yanked out the old Alpine head unit from the car as well. It's a CDA-9851 with the MPOW bluetooth add-on. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it for their '90s sh1t boxes or looking to replace a broken radio on the cheap.

Also drained and pulled the water/meth injection system from the car. That's up for grabs as well if anyone is interested.

In the mean time, everything else is going to be a bit slow until my buddy whose shop I am using is done moving and relocating his shop since I am helping him with that whenever I have some free time from work.

Next update should hopefully be something decent and productive.
richee3
Gimme the deets on the meth injection setup.
Box
Those are some premium looking doors indeed.
cheela
mmmmmmmm....... 8 speaker setup......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.