post Nov 22, 2015 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Small update:

Made a sheet metal mounting bracket for the injection water pump:

This bracket took all day to make. Custom stuff always takes forever for me, but the effort was worth it

This post has been edited by enderswift: Nov 22, 2015 - 11:14 PM

--------------------
post Nov 23, 2015 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

Are you running the tank in the engine bay?

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Nov 24, 2015 - 1:45 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Dude thos fab skills are amazing....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 24, 2015 - 10:11 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Nov 23, 2015 - 9:58 PM) *
Are you running the tank in the engine bay?

The stock washer bottle will be used as the tank thanks to this:

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/push-t...g-tank-tap.html

aaaand this:

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/water-...oat-switch.html

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 24, 2015 - 1:45 AM) *
Dude thos fab skills are amazing....

Thank you, that's high praise after seeing the 2gr build thumbsup.gif It never ceases to amaze me how something like a bracket can take hours upon hours to produce

--------------------
post Nov 24, 2015 - 11:30 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Custom work always takes time. Its never been done....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 29, 2015 - 11:46 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Hi 6gc, I've been very busy with a clutch and steering rack swap over the weekend! I could not wait to rip out the crappy clutchmasters clutch and spare my synchros any more pain!

And so the tear down began the Friday morning after after thanksgiving. It was tough to motivate myself to do anything... the food coma was still quite strong tongue.gif

First thing to do was to take apart the super strut suspension, which I'm getting very good at doing very quickly. Unlike mcpherson there is only one right way to take apart superstrut without ruining it cosmetically, but once you understand the correct order its pretty easy

Here is a shot of the shop I am lucky enough to have access to. It's so nice to be able to work on the car without having to race the sun or contend with the weather! How I used to do everything on a driveway outside is beyond me

Here's a shot of the parts that are coming off. You dont need to remove the subframe, but I do because I like the extra space when removing the transmission. It adds a decent amount of work but the accessibility is worth it imo.

Another benefit of removing the subframe is it makes it a thousand times easier to use a slide hammer on the axles. Aftermarket axles don't have the convenient tabs like the OEM parts do, so an axle adapter is needed. Trying to use that adapter with the subframe in place is a good way to lose your mind, so I avoid the issue entirely

After a little more work it was time to remove the transmission

Easy

And here's the piece of garbage clutchmasters clutch. They just don't make a good product for the 3sgte/s54 combo... but I've already devoted too much space on this thread trying to convey how much they suck, so I'll move on

I spent waaaaay too much time installing my new competition clutch flywheel. I'm super paranoid about stuff coming loose so I made sure everything is perfect. Red Loctite and ARP hardware add a little piece of mind.

First impressions of the flywheel are very good, it looks and feels like a really high quality part. It's a little less weight than the stock wheel but not excessively so. I'm hoping to get a slight improvement in revving speed without affecting the smoothness of the idle.

I got tired of laying on the floor holding heavy parts overhead so I switched my attention to the trans. It got a quick inspection before I proceeded to replace everything related to the clutch. New fork, new pivot ball, new throw out bearing, new everything. I was very surprised to see that the old pivot ball had actually worn down about a mm over its life. I thought buying a new one was overkill but apparently not cwm13.gif

And here are the aforementioned parts properly installed and generously lubricated in a relatively cleaned up bellhousing smile.gif

Finally the South Bend clutch was installed onto the flywheel. I used brand new Toyota pressure plate bolts with red loctite and torqued them to 22 ft-lbs using the proper sequence. Knowing my luck they'll still get loose

I also replaced the steering rack amidst all of the clutch work. My 'old' rack developed a clunk when changing directions. All inner and outer tie rods were ruled out before I found that the bushings guiding the rack itself had worn out after only a few thousand miles on the road rolleyes.gif aftermarket rebuilds are so hit or miss sometimes.. But they are generally better than rolling the dice on junkyard parts.

In any case this time I spent a bit more and went with an AC Delco rebuild instead of an Advance Auto brand. The difference in quality was immediately apparent when the new part arrived, so I have high hopes that I wont have to do this again!

At this point the transmission was back on the engine and hanging from its own mount. I had spent the majority of the weekend working on the car and was honestly burned out. I don't know how I used to pull 12-15 hour marathon installs for multiple consecutive days.... Actually, yes I do, in the past my project car was also my daily! It HAD to be finished in two days or less lol

Fortunately these days I can take things a lot slower, which is easier on me physically and mentally. For instance my hands are not completely wrecked after this weekend like they would have been in the past. Unfortunately the car will have to wait until next weekend to be completed frown.gif

Moments like the one poorly shown in the above photo make me really want a DSLR camera. They way the light filtered through the engine bay from underneath was so awesome... wish I could have captured it

This post has been edited by enderswift: Nov 29, 2015 - 11:52 PM

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2015 - 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

That. Garage. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2015 - 2:53 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

I used the ball joine separator that looks like a two prong fork to remove driver axle just hammered it up into that area and it popped out. Or you could of just used a small screw driver and tapped it out from the opposite once you removed the passenger axle.

How did you remove the top ball joint from knuckle?

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Nov 30, 2015 - 4:45 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 30, 2015 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

every car owner should own a DLSR. It's about capturing those precious moments of your baby growing up. smile.gif

but DAT GARAGE!!

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Dec 1, 2015 - 9:02 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 30, 2015 - 2:53 PM) *
I used the ball joine separator that looks like a two prong fork to remove driver axle just hammered it up into that area and it popped out. Or you could of just used a small screw driver and tapped it out from the opposite once you removed the passenger axle.

How did you remove the top ball joint from knuckle?

Yea a pickle fork would work, but I'm not a big fan of it because it is pretty rough on the trans and axle. Cant use the screw driver method because I have an LSD diff in the way smile.gif

As far as separating the upper balljoint goes... Just disconnect the lower bracket, the figure 8, and the tie rod to allow for the removal of the axle from the hub. Once the axle is out there is space to use a 2 jaw puller from a front end service kit. Easy as pie and much better than wedging a breaker bar between the axle and going to town with a hammer..

QUOTE (cheela @ Nov 30, 2015 - 3:29 PM) *
every car owner should own a DLSR. It's about capturing those precious moments of your baby growing up. smile.gif

but DAT GARAGE!!

lol, HUGE improvement over a driveway!

--------------------
post Dec 1, 2015 - 10:05 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Blasphemy! I say.

Hammering is out of the question because it damage the ball joint plus the strut housing and/or even the knuckle depending where you hit it.

I used a huge pitman arm puller(the one you rent from AutoZone) and it couldn't fit over the knuckle area that the ball joint sits on top off.

Then tried using my harbor freight ball joint remover

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inc...Fnot%20provided

But the U opening isn't wide enough to pass around ball joint. So I removed strut and knuckle together and hammered it out in two tries

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 1, 2015 - 10:05 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 1, 2015 - 11:12 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291411892133?...=ps&lpid=82

you need the silver 2 jaw puller from this kit. you can rent them from advance auto parts. It fits perfect and doesn't scratch or ruin anything

This post has been edited by enderswift: Dec 1, 2015 - 11:25 PM

--------------------
post Dec 2, 2015 - 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

seriuosly, you guys need a hammer and a 2 inch piece of wood.... it comes out, no damage.

--------------------

post Dec 2, 2015 - 3:18 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Thanks for heads up 2gr guy.

I tried the one I'm the middle, which would be 2nd biggest in that kit

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 6, 2015 - 10:04 AM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Great work Luke!

--------------------
post Dec 7, 2015 - 5:40 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Dec 6, 2015 - 11:04 AM) *
Great work Luke!

Thanks Ben

--------------------
post Apr 10, 2016 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Hello 6gc,

Its been a long time since the last update, but progress has been made smile.gif The water/methanol kit is FINALLY installed biggrin.gif

The second half of the install mostly consisted of routing piping and doing hours upon hours of tedious wiring.

My favorite.

Progress kicked off by installing the devils own self-sealing intake and level switch into the factory washer bottle:

I wanted to go with the factory washer bottle as my reservoir because it makes for a clean install. There is no room in the bay for an aftermarket reservoir larger than a quart, I'm not a fan of having a tank in the trunk, and the washer bottle actually has a decent amount of capacity. Not to mention I could wedge my pump right next to it and shorten the tubing and wiring lengths significantly.

Here is a top down view of the mounted pump. It has been fit between the frame rail and radiator, right beneath the relay box supplying power to the rad fans. Tight fit is an understatement, but everything clears, and the pump is rubber mounted thumbsup.gif This positioning is very convenient because it allows the pump to be mounted close to inline with the water/meth intake (crucial for pump operation) and it also provides easy access to a high current 12v source at the relay box. I was very concerned with the pump negatively affecting the electrical system everytime it kicked on.

Some quality time with the wiring diagrams showed me the way

Even managed to hide the in-line fuse in the relay box smile.gif I want this engine bay to look as stock as possible. From here I decided to move on to something besides wiring and bent up some pvc tubing.

All tubing was formed using a brake line bender and a heat gun. Tedious work, but looks awesome. I tried to hug the ac line as much as I could since it was an easy path between the pump, nozzle, and wiring loom

Had a leak early on while pressure testing which soaked my injector connectors and made the car run pretty badly kindasad.gif

More wiring! This time in the cabin to conceal the controller. Holy crap this was a ton of work. Would have been a ton worse if I hadn't installed that terminal block two years ago, made sourcing pwr, gnd, and acc, much easier.

Part of the reason the wiring was so difficult is because I made all of the harnesses modular. I want to be able to remove parts of the meth system without having to cut wires. That involved adding in connectors at the controller so the dash bezel can be removed, connectors at the pump, at the map sensor, level switch, led indicators.... everywhere. And you better believe all of those locations are extremely difficult to solder in!

Sleeving everything nicely was also a huge PITA. But I can confidently say its all bullet proof. Nothing is more annoying than intermittent wiring faults, so a little extra up front effort is well worth it.

End result of cabin wiring, a nice and hidden controller smile.gif

Also added in a pair of indicator lights. The one one top lights up green when the pump is working (it actually gets brighter as the controller progressively ramps the pump up from 15% duty cycle) and the one below flashes red when I'm running low on washer fluid.

http://vid74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/s...zpsdfbshxen.mp4
Prelim shake down video testing out controller operation. The kit was designed to tap into a factory 3 bar map sensor signal to trigger the pump. It worked, but was off by a few PSI. Turns out the st205 DOES NOT have a 3bar map! its 2.8 bar!

At this point I knew I would have to go with a standalone map sensor. So i contacted devils own and learned that the controller was designed with a standard gm 3bar map as the target. Immediately placed an order for one of those and did a crap ton more wiring rolleyes.gif

And here it is mounted on another custom bracket. Had to redo my vac manifold setup to accommodate yet another map sensor (this car will have a total of 4 with the ebc) and install a 5v power converter in the dash to power the new sensor. The effort was worth it because further testing showed the pump kicking on exactly where I set the ramp points biggrin.gif

what methanol injection?

Soon that first needle will be rocketing towards 17 >:)

Initial thoughts on the effect of water injection? I cant really tell the difference. The system could be run with straight meth for mad power; but taking advantage of that would require really high boost pressure and most likely a standalone controller. Instead i expect to see benefits in how the car feels on a scorching August day when the intake temps are lowered to the equivalent of a cool October evening. Other benefits include engine protection at higher boost levels, and of course the steam cleaning action on the valves and combustion chamber.

Okay 6gc, thats it for now. I'm slowly working my way through installing the boost controller and refining a few things that have been bothering me for a while. I plan to go to the dyno in the next few weeks so stand by

This post has been edited by enderswift: Apr 10, 2016 - 4:11 PM

--------------------
post Apr 10, 2016 - 1:00 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Clean install! Wish I could see it at the meet next month.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 10, 2016 - 1:33 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

First dibs on a ride at the meet! Damn so jelly.
post Apr 10, 2016 - 3:44 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

Fantastic job! The attention to detail is manufacture quality. If I don't see this car at the meet next month i'm going to throw a fit.. laugh.gif

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16

31 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 1:51 AM