Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 3SGTE Swap, How-to
post Mar 8, 2006 - 2:46 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

The turn around was super fast.thumbsup.gif I sent these out 2nd day air on Monday, got them back Friday. Small price to pay to know everything is working the way it should.

Thanks guys,
DEF

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Mar 17, 2006 - 2:20 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

More goodies for the Beast

ATS fuel rail

Stock left - ATS right
IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Mar 21, 2006 - 10:42 PM
+Quote Post
Cavanagh

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 21, '06
From Springfield, IL
Currently Offline

Wow your a beast and i give you props...I have a 93 st which i plan to do what you did and i was wondering where you got that front clip from? Also, (this might sound cheesey) but how mehicanical are you? because i somewhat know car engines but is it SUPER difficult,moderate, etc?

--------------------
post Mar 21, 2006 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

swappage is a rating of like 7 or 8 outta 10 imo on the mechanical side of things

i believe jeff got his clip from JARCO
but there are far better deals on clips around the net
post Mar 21, 2006 - 11:05 PM
+Quote Post
brianforster

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '04
From Hollywood, MD
Currently Offline

id say the swap used to be hard because of the wiring, but with guys like tweak and dg, if you send out your harness and get it back working, its hardly more work than swapping out your old motor (well, in a GT)
post Mar 21, 2006 - 11:15 PM
+Quote Post
x_itchy_b_x

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Webster Ma.
Currently Offline

oh jeeze. what goes along with more fuel? more boost. smile.gif
sweet man.

--------------------
post Mar 23, 2006 - 4:01 PM
+Quote Post
speedy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '03
From new jersey
Currently Offline

hey defgeph where did u get those pictures for the TICs and heat exchangers confused.gif . if it was from toyota what did u give them to get the pics?
post Mar 23, 2006 - 7:28 PM
+Quote Post
celicast3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 10, '05
From Monroe, WA
Currently Offline

Off topic but i live like... 10 min from bothell-everett hwy. ill have to go check out that shop. how much did it cost you to have them clean, checked, and balanced?

--------------------
94' ST Coupe - 5sfe Motor swap and brake swap.
post Mar 24, 2006 - 1:42 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE(speedy @ Mar 23, 2006 - 4:01 PM) [snapback]412013[/snapback]

hey defgeph where did u get those pictures for the TICs and heat exchangers confused.gif . if it was from toyota what did u give them to get the pics?

Friends from the internet hooked me up with these pics. What is it that you need ? I might be able to help you.

QUOTE(celicast3sgte @ Mar 23, 2006 - 7:28 PM) [snapback]412102[/snapback]

Off topic but i live like... 10 min from bothell-everett hwy. ill have to go check out that shop. how much did it cost you to have them clean, checked, and balanced?

$60 total $15 per injector. For that price they test, clean, and re-test the injectors. Then they express ship them back.

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Mar 24, 2006 - 2:01 AM
+Quote Post
bigal004321

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '05
From New york
Currently Offline

Is that a pretty good idea to do, have the injectors checked?

Bigal

--------------------
1994 celica GT.....3sgte in a month! all helpers are welcome!!! i live in Plattsburgh, NY.

post Mar 24, 2006 - 2:01 PM
+Quote Post
Silver94CelicaOw...

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 13, '02
From Blairstown, New Jersey
Currently Offline

If you're like most swappers and get an engine clip, you never know what sort of condition the injectors might have been in once you get it.
Most of the time the company that sold you the clip or motor will only give you the compression figures which only tells you a little bit, so its probably a good idea to check little things like your injectors, plugs, etc.

Never hurts to get them checked and cleaned, and always better to know that when you crank the boost up your motor wont go *pop*. wink.gif

--------------------

3rd gen ST205 3SGTE - Alive and boosting.
post Mar 24, 2006 - 2:36 PM
+Quote Post
bigal004321

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '05
From New york
Currently Offline

True that..ill have to remember that!

bigal

--------------------
1994 celica GT.....3sgte in a month! all helpers are welcome!!! i live in Plattsburgh, NY.

post Mar 25, 2006 - 9:30 PM
+Quote Post
speedy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '03
From new jersey
Currently Offline

as far as the diagrams i was just wondering seeing the pictures and info helps me understand everything and break it down... u know basically for my own common knowledge. smile.gif
post Jun 22, 2006 - 8:48 PM
+Quote Post
Emperor-Viper

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 5, '04
From somerset Pennsylvania
Currently Offline

What was the grand total this swap cost you to complete if u stated this already im sorry i must have missed it. Also you said you used the st185 thats the 5th gen right? Is there a major difference between that and the st205 6th gen. Would it be an easier swap or harder you think to use the st205 im sure its more costly though.

This post has been edited by Emperor-Viper: Jun 22, 2006 - 9:10 PM
post Jun 22, 2006 - 11:44 PM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

Because my car was originally an ST, it was a little more expensive for me. I had to buy a tranny, mounts, axles, and shifter cables.

Just talking about the engine, tranny and swap related parts, I think I'm just under 5,000.

I bought a 5th gen RC clip. I was dead set on W/A intercooler, and a st205 clip was and still is a very expensive item. So I went with the RC.

Which is better ? They are both great engines. Both have the excellent Toyota quality. Its all about what your goals are, what will make you happy. You can make a ST185 engine put out just as much as a ST205 engine. Its all about what you put into it. I'm not knocking the 205, I love it. JMO

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Jun 23, 2006 - 1:23 AM
+Quote Post
Emperor-Viper

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 5, '04
From somerset Pennsylvania
Currently Offline

well then i appreciate the response good to know it was only around 5000 it gives me hope that i can accomplish that now lol i gotta buy a new celica then get the motor swapped after i get the body how i want it....
post Jun 29, 2006 - 10:22 AM
+Quote Post
C3L1CA

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '04
From Oakdale, MN
Currently Offline

Is it just my crappy computer or do some of the pics not show up?

--------------------
-Brad
95 GSX: Stock motor, fp3065, corn = 10.9 @ 140
06 R6: Strappd and sprocketed = 11.0 @ 127
01 a4: daily
94 Celica: totaled - someday have another celica thats fast instead of looks cool
post Jun 29, 2006 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE(C3L1CA @ Jun 29, 2006 - 11:22 AM) [snapback]450337[/snapback]

Its just your computer, they all loaded for me. Is there a picture not shown that you would like to see ?

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Jun 29, 2006 - 10:35 AM
+Quote Post
C3L1CA

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '04
From Oakdale, MN
Currently Offline

QUOTE(defgeph @ Jun 29, 2006 - 10:29 AM) [snapback]450340[/snapback]

QUOTE(C3L1CA @ Jun 29, 2006 - 11:22 AM) [snapback]450337[/snapback]

Its just your computer, they all loaded for me. Is there a picture not shown that you would like to see ?

Hmm my computer does like to do this to me every once and a while. I'll have to look at the pics on a different computer because quite a few weren't showing up. Thanks though and great write up, I should be looking at this and reading this a lot before this up coming winter biggrin.gif

--------------------
-Brad
95 GSX: Stock motor, fp3065, corn = 10.9 @ 140
06 R6: Strappd and sprocketed = 11.0 @ 127
01 a4: daily
94 Celica: totaled - someday have another celica thats fast instead of looks cool
post Jul 9, 2006 - 4:42 PM
+Quote Post
CelicaGT04

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 22, '05
From Mesquite, Texas
Currently Offline

Def, you are very knowlegeable about the 3sgte ST185 swap into a celica. I have looked at your post and read everything you have written. Your car is amazing and all the time and work you have put into it is respectable! I have been saving for my ST185 front clip that i am going to order within the next few weeks and i just have a few questions. I would like to ask if i can use the 5SFE tranny without having to get a 3SGTE disk with 5SFE splines? Also if i get a 3SGE tranny i would need the 3SGE axels with 5SFE(GT) cables?
On to the wiring, i have many, many questions about the wiring. The mechanical seems quite easy, but the wiring is becoming more and more a headache as i find out more. I would just like to ask, did you try to fabricate the 3SGTE wiring harness yourself before sending to DGPerformance? How much was the cost for the harness to be completed? Did you have to remove your 5SFE harness to send? or did you send the one that came with your clip (If applicable)? The wiring and tranny are all that i am needing help with up to this point. If you could please be so kind as to educate me in the fields i have requested it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mario

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 10th, 2024 - 6:11 AM