> Rave's Next Progression Thread, 95 GT Red
post Jan 12, 2012 - 2:24 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

To properly start a new progress thread, the new vehicle must be shown. So here we go.

Now that is complete, we move on to this weekends fun.

Majority of items needed to accomplish the clutch change.

Prepped work area.

Should be an eventful weekend.

Plans for this weekend: (Let see how many I actully complete)

Clutch
swap over riser blocks
swap over rear ssIII splitters
swap over highs and projectors ( Remove OEM casing from light, and apply to projector broken casing) Covert connectors.
install headunit with proper facekit
wire in amp, and subs.
remove rear seats

Thats a hefty list, but I think I can do it. I'll damn well try. Hoping the locals have their earplugs ready.

Any of you Floridians want to come to Gainesville? I'll supply beer, pizza, and California type headache relief wink.gif
post Jan 12, 2012 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Only if i lived in fl

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jan 12, 2012 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I look forward to this thread

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2012 - 4:08 PM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

Nice pickup Rave and I'm with ender - I look forward to this thread's progress.

PS: Welcome to Club 3L2!

--------------------
Has no more Celicas
post Jan 12, 2012 - 4:33 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Keiri @ Jan 12, 2012 - 5:08 PM) *
thumbsup.gif

Nice pickup Rave and I'm with ender - I look forward to this thread's progress.

PS: Welcome to Club 3L2!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to do the best I can to take a bunch of pics during. I tend to forget as I get consumed at the job(s) at hand.

Going to start tearing her down tomorrow afternoon, today was just prep, and getting everything to get the job started. The box with all the ordered items should arrive Saturday. So with luck, I should be able to start putting on new parts Saturday, and button her up Sunday.
post Jan 13, 2012 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Good luck on the new project! I think you could finish it all this weekend, at least the major stuff, will be a nice bonding time for you and the new car.

If i was in florida all 3 of those sound nice, id be down to help. wink.gif

--------------------
2006 BMW 330i - 6 Speed - Dinan Stage 1
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post Jan 13, 2012 - 5:15 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Seeing as you're actually not very far from me, I may take up you up on that. You had me at Cali relief.

I won't have time this weekend, but if you're still wrenching next week I won't mind popping over to help out.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Jan 13, 2012 - 5:17 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 13, 2012 - 5:50 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jan 13, 2012 - 6:15 PM) *
Seeing as you're actually not very far from me, I may take up you up on that. You had me at Cali relief.

I won't have time this weekend, but if you're still wrenching next week I won't mind popping over to help out.

Hah sounds good! Clutch is the major this weekend, but I have plenty of suspension to do next weekend!
post Jan 13, 2012 - 6:08 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Oh yes. I'm down. Tuesdays and thursdays are reserved for school, but otherwise my schedule is open.

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

So a day of progress, but per usual I can't get to the final step because the rear mount is being a pain in my ass. Can't get the engine to rotate the direction I need, not sure why, nor can I find my deepwell 14mm to remove the trannie mount. Doesn't appear you can remove the mount from the block as simple with the ST. So, after a good 10 hours today...I'm done til tomorrow.

I did manage to pick up some goodies. All for 115 bucks. Was a gent that had children and had to rid of his Celica. Go Go craigslist for an amazing deal.

post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:42 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

WOW, that's like the price of ONE of those items you have there. very nice deal! smile.gif

glad to see you back in the game too.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:46 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Jan 14, 2012 - 6:42 PM) *
WOW, that's like the price of ONE of those items you have there. very nice deal! smile.gif

glad to see you back in the game too.

Yea I was surprised when he took my offer. I originally thought he was just giving me the 2 front inserts, but when he pulled out all four I quickly handed him the funds =)

Glad to be back!
post Jan 14, 2012 - 9:05 PM
+Quote Post
dakotahwyatt

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2, '12
From pickerington ohio
Currently Offline

I'll giveya 120 and a six pack and 2 pizza and call it a deal?
post Jan 15, 2012 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Aw man has it been a busy day.

All right, I need to say something here to. There are million ways I've read to get that rear mount, most circulate around "rotate the engine." I'd like the give the trophy to if I recall correctly to TRDproven for coming up with the idea to just lower the suspension crossmember. Simply loosen up the 8 or so large bolts that hold the frame, and bam you can unbolt the mount from the member, as well the bolt through the mount itself, lift it up. take member out, then simply turn the mount right out. I had a epic battle with this thing til I quit yesterday. 20 mins of "rotating" , I tried that and it was out in 5 mins.

I'm even guilty in a recent thread informing someone to remove the bracket from the block whoops.

As another thing I've learned today. DO NOT TENSION THE AXLE if you are trying to pop it out. See that dust shield, thats from me getting frustrated using the "tension" method I read as well. I even tried from the other side to tap the shaft, stupid I know. Didn't do it but a few and said to myself bad idea.

In the end, I just tied the axle up with some metal wire, got a proper pry bar after a trip to the store, and one simple push with the prybar and my foot, with no tension. Was out so easy. 3 hours today on that...what a waste, but its out now! Now I have to determine if I can find a replacement dustshield, the axle itself is fine.

Took me some time to find all the hidden bolts and angles to remove, but she is finally out.

Cheapie to get me to the 3sgte.

Old vs. new - Studs didn't grind into the flywheel, just a slight sand, and clean up. Another "it'll do" til the swap.

The didn't grind the flywheel mainly because the clutch fluid was horribly low, and air in the line when I got her. So it might have been a small blessing.

The hole! - Just a tip for any concerned, don't skip anything. Nor think this is a quick easy job because you've seen a howto with 8 steps....like my dumbass.

Remove everything in the way! Its alot, i've taken alot of pictures and may use them to create a howto later on, in some detail.

Oh yea, broke my slave cylinder rubber line. Was old and cracked when I zipped tied it to the harness...lol it was meant to save it from harm, not destroy it!.

Well now i'm sore as hell, but semi-content on progress, put it all back together tomorrow, and wait on further parts.
post Jan 16, 2012 - 6:47 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well, a total of 30 hours and it pulls good. The clutch pedal feels really weak though, I don't know if that is an issue, being the clutch works fine, though I didn't drop it or anything being brand new. Not sure if I'm used to how the ST was, which my leg get tired in traffic, but this one just slams down. I might need to bleed the line some more maybe. I patched the crack in the line with some tegflex, or whatever its called. Rubber wrap, great stuff! New line on order. Thinking of stealing the STs

Either or, I didn't get half my list done, but I'm happy with the progress. No power tools, had to assemble a hoist, and first time with running solo, like someone with some mechanical skills =P

Still got alot to do. Idles bad when cold, and has a vacuum leak I need to find out. Alot of hoses look bad, and cracked. Got some grinding, sounds like dust shields hitting the rotors, or just horrible breaks...hopefully not my ghetto rigged dust shield, but thats a easy fix nowadays! Those to be done next weekend with the suspension overhaul of Eibach Sportlines transferred and the new GR2's to slap on..so it'll be some tinkering time soon enough. Hopefully get some of the other list items done during the week. Cosmetics, and getting her registered and insured for the road.

Ibprohen time!
post Jan 18, 2012 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

good job dude. Glad to see members sticking with celi's instead of moving on.

Its amazing how the smallest stuff will consume all your time right? I basically double my time estimates these days because everything always takes longer than planned haha

--------------------
post Jan 18, 2012 - 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

What are you plans for this car?

--------------------
post Jan 19, 2012 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jan 18, 2012 - 11:18 PM) *
good job dude. Glad to see members sticking with celi's instead of moving on.

Its amazing how the smallest stuff will consume all your time right? I basically double my time estimates these days because everything always takes longer than planned haha

Lol, I'm sticking with the Celica until I can't get simple parts for it at an auto store. Hopefully by that point my wrecking days will be over, and I finally got one completed to my standard and can garage it.

Definately, I swore the clutch wouldn't take me that long, but it sure did! - i'll have to start doing that with my time frames as well =P

QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Jan 18, 2012 - 11:48 PM) *
What are you plans for this car?

Already have 3sgte for it, once I get it stable in driving sense..breaks, suspension, tires etc etc. My focus will shift back to the 3s and getting all the seals and such done. Cleaning up the whole bay and dropping her in.

Exterior going to stick with the ssIII splitters front and back, as well the gt-four raiser blocks. Still looking for skirts, but funds are not in the right place right now to pick some up. Projectors will also be swapped over from the wrecked ST.

I got a lot of work ahead, and hit one hell of a bump in the road. Thanks to the wonderful state of Florida. Went to get everything legal today, and I had no idea, but because I don't have an existing FL plate, there are some extra fees in the excess of 300 dollars. On top of the already insured 550 premium insurance that was paid, and DL fees rounding up to 150. Lets throw the clutch and others items this past week, excluding the car price, I've spent 1200+ and they still want more.

Basically as it looks right now, I won't be driving her til the next 15th paycheck...which really sucks some ass considering everything I went through to get her road ready today. So...now i just nit pick at items, and transfer what I can from the old one while I stick my middle finger in the air to responsiblity, but humbly wait until its all legal.

Edit: Funding solution solved for the time being, hope to have her legal tomorrow.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 19, 2012 - 3:58 PM
post Jan 20, 2012 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Little progress today, but it surely needed it.

New front pads, old ones were shot and making some mean noise. Still have to do backs, but all in good time.

Some bad connections to be fixed, and replaced.

And of course, removal of such ugly decals, and apply the proper one.

Replaced the slave cynlinder as well, just waiting on the lady to get home to help me bleed it.

Possibly take her for a spin this evening, suspension tomorrow if time permits.

post Jan 20, 2012 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

glad to see someone loving to work on the car

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 23, 2012 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well she did fine on her first day to work. Though only a short drive, it gives me plenty of insight on what needs attention.

After the new struts and springs, going to need a good front end alignment. Came apparent after the steering wheel being way off.

Got a grind in 3rd at high RPMs, so granny shifting for right now. Not sure of the cause, be it trans or just the fluid I used. I did not go all out with the synchromesh being I wasn't sure if the tranny itself would be leaking from my tamperings. Its not leaking, but now I'm not sure if the 90w-140 or whatever it was generic jazz is causing that grind. Don't really like the feel of the s54 either, when you shift into the gear it doesn't feel solid like the ST's trannie did. When you hit the gas, the shifter moves back about 1 inch aggressivly, almost like its going to pop out of gear, but doesn't . Stays in just fine. Possibly streched cables?

Tried to repair the clutch rubber line from the firewall to the trannie hardline. Couldn't get the wallside connection off. felt like I was going to break the hard like. So I applied further patch to the rubber line, but that was no dice. Still leaking, but the cluch is working still. So I'm pondering on that one.

AC compressor is sqeaking like crazy, going to be in the market for one of those soon. Some good work done this weekend, much more to go, but I'm determined to get her up to par.

Edit: Oh yea, new brakes all round =P damn did it need'em.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 23, 2012 - 8:23 AM
post Jan 23, 2012 - 12:53 PM
+Quote Post
JasonTX

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 1, '10
From TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jan 20, 2012 - 5:48 PM) *
And of course, removal of such ugly decals, and apply the proper one.

Replaced the slave cynlinder as well, just waiting on the lady to get home to help me bleed it.

Possibly take her for a spin this evening, suspension tomorrow if time permits.

glad to see em on. cars comming along good congrats on getting it on the road

peace

-jec

--------------------
JN 3:16
--------------------------------------
post Jan 25, 2012 - 7:43 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Day 3 on the road has yielded some insight on further issues. Thankfully I never got to hooking up my audio system, so I get to hear all the little noises this car is making.

The sqeeking for one is making it difficult to hear other things, but that I'm even questioning if it is the AC compressor, but being that is not working a replacement is otw. I'm thinking it is more the power steering pump, or something in that area. Hopefully not anything under the timing cover. Would not like to pull the engine so soon after a clutch job, but must be done will be done.

The clutch is still weak as can be, but the fork moves a good 2-3 inches and the clutch engages fine. Even have good slip/grip ratio. Not sure hwo to explain that further....either or, I hear a whurrrring noise when I would let go of the clutch. It would appear to be coming from the master cylinder. IIRC, the ST and GT master are the same, so I'll be looking to swap that out shortly. The line is still not replaced, but its holding enough. Been blasting that connection with PB blaster each day, hopefully by this weekend it'll come off like butter and I can move forward.

Also have a...clunk might be a good way to describe it. Basically whenever the engine moves a good bit, hard shifts and such. It sounds to be more like a loose mount, then something in the trannie, or engine. Another item to investigate. I probally didn't tighten one up all the way...happens.

battery light won't shut off, even after swapping a new battery in, but the wires attached to teh alt are quite damaged. Will have to replace those soon, and test the alt out.

All in all, she is holding power well...some more tinkering and she'll be fine.

Anyone else feel odd in a replacement Celica? Just doesn't feel like the old one...comfort wise. Happy with the purchase, just feels weird laugh.gif

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 25, 2012 - 7:45 AM
post Jan 25, 2012 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

It is an odd feeling
I felt kinda wierd at first when i got my coupe but i just thought tgat was because i hadnt had a celi 4 years
But i get a really funny feeling being in the hatch i just bought for the swap an it looks just like my first 94 st

--------------------
n
post Jan 27, 2012 - 8:38 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jan 25, 2012 - 12:34 PM) *
It is an odd feeling
I felt kinda wierd at first when i got my coupe but i just thought tgat was because i hadnt had a celi 4 years
But i get a really funny feeling being in the hatch i just bought for the swap an it looks just like my first 94 st

Lol you got your hands full thats for sure! =)

--

Did some more tinkering. Finally got the clutch rubber line replaced. Took 3 days of soaking PB blaster and one really hard crank to get it off, but finally did.

Clutch still feels to weak, but atleast thats one less thing to add to the mix. Just a FYI, the ST clutch cable will work, its just slightly longer. About 1 inch.

Going to replace the master cylinder tomorrow, and see if it'll stiffing up the pedal. I've bled it 8 times now, and new slave, so only the master is left.

Well I decided something was wrong with the s54, no reason for the grind into 3rd or the whurring noise when clutch disengaged. I go back to the auto store and ask the guy to look up the trannie gear oil again. He instantly says "oh man, I think I told you the wrong stuff" - He sold me 90w-140...I said thats high, and he went into a story about his car, and never got around to looking again. Technically I should have known better, but was a waste of dough.

Drained the syhcromesh out the ST and put it in the GT, its only a year old, and looked quite new. No need to waste IMO. No more grind in 3rd, and shifts like butter. So one thing situated, few more to go.
post Jan 29, 2012 - 5:08 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well, had a little fun today.

Changed out the clutch master cylinder with the from the ST, feels so much better. Feels like control, instead of slamming down. Guess it was leaking inside.

Changed a few hoses out but continue to have a vacuum leak type idle. Starting to think the intake manifold is the culprit. I hear hissing in such direction.

Well to the picture worthy items.

Projector tap repairs

No point throwing them out, with a 5 dollar repair. Aquameld, wonderful fiberglass putty. Last patch lasted until someone hit me again =P

Did a little repair on the alt. connector. previous wires were frayed and casing falling off. Stole the STs, and made a new one.

Didn't have any heat resistant shrink, or anything open on sunday with such. So simple wrapped it up nice.

Took a crack at the audio, but it looks like a 10 year with a liking for electrical tape went to town. Tore the obvious bad out, and will have to clean it all up another time.
post Jan 29, 2012 - 5:54 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Winning!

--------------------
post Feb 2, 2012 - 2:40 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Got the audio wired up yesterday.

Was quite fun...sarcasim.

This GT has the factory amp, so per normal I had to rip out the blue connector from under the amp, and splice in my connections using the toyota default color code. Yes I'm a cheap ass that won't pay for the connector when I already have wire strippers and crimps.

Had to pull out probally 14 bad connections put together with electrical tap on stripped back wire wrapped. Stupid.....

Rears do not work, but I assume that is because, just like the fronts, someone cut the factory wires and ran home audio speaker wire. rolleyes.gif

Even if that is not case, no biggie, as they will eventually be mid range subs...I just wanted some noise, instead of engine noise when driving.

Funny enough, the wreck blew one of my subs. Had to rip the center piece off because it was taping like crazy with the bass hitting. Will have to invest in some new ones sometime in the far future. For now, they shake my license plate, and piss off people blasting rap. All I want..for now =)
post Feb 21, 2012 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Rims painted with Plastidip, and new front calipers.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Feb 21, 2012 - 11:20 AM
post Feb 21, 2012 - 7:44 PM
+Quote Post
TRD_Ian

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 19, '08
From New Brunswick
Currently Offline

dude nice work its looking good, i just went through this and am still in the process of swapping parts of my first gts to my second one i have now, the new one was in about the same shape as yours too but right now with the exception of you have projectors and black stock 15s your car and mine are twins cept iv got stock highs and lows and gold stock 15s, mine even has the same pinkish shade faded door handles, keep up the good work im subscribed to this build, you should post picks of your system i wanna see your setup, i hit 144.8DB on my system this summer and it wasn't tunned properly so with some modifications and new pieces iv added this winter im hoping to hit even higher, stooopid frame"less windows leaking like a civ under pressure frown.gif i should really update my build thread

--------------------

i hate snow, missing my celica
post Feb 22, 2012 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TRD_Ian @ Feb 21, 2012 - 8:44 PM) *
dude nice work its looking good, i just went through this and am still in the process of swapping parts of my first gts to my second one i have now, the new one was in about the same shape as yours too but right now with the exception of you have projectors and black stock 15s your car and mine are twins cept iv got stock highs and lows and gold stock 15s, mine even has the same pinkish shade faded door handles, keep up the good work im subscribed to this build, you should post picks of your system i wanna see your setup, i hit 144.8DB on my system this summer and it wasn't tunned properly so with some modifications and new pieces iv added this winter im hoping to hit even higher, stooopid frame"less windows leaking like a civ under pressure frown.gif i should really update my build thread

Lol appreciate it!

Yea my landlord is on me hard about the other celica in the yard, but its tarped, and hes been a pain in my rear for some time when its comes to home issues, so I'm just going to ride the lease out and take it with me. No way in hell I'm getting rid of my first celica until I'm completely ready, and that might be when its a rust pile on the ground lol.

haha those damn door handles, yea they are annoying me. I'm thinking of taking them out, and just rattle canning some clear on them or something. Tested a few spots where the clear was coming off, sanded it down, and sprayed some clear on it. Looks alot better, but waiting til I can buff it down some before I show the handy work.

Ack my audio, thats another story. My subs were damaged in the wreck, along with my amp taking a hit. So its not to pretty at the moment, nothing to be proud off being an IT audio engineer, but it functions. I have plans for it in the future, fiberglass enclosure, 2 12's in the back, sub mids over the shoulder, front tweets and 2 ways on the door....but that is in due time, I have to really get down and focus on this bad boy before it rusts up in my storage unit..

All in good time, just happy to have moving wheels again!

This post has been edited by rave2n: Feb 22, 2012 - 9:52 AM
post Mar 4, 2012 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Been a busy weekend.

Riser blocks, applied new clear to spoiler, driver seat cover transferred, swapped tails because old ones were leaking and a new altenator

post Mar 5, 2012 - 1:14 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

good stuff

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2012 - 1:18 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Finally got the audio situated correctly. Just woke up this morning with the motivation, and a 20oz red bull

Sorting out the rear speakers...previous owner powered the other head unit with the cig lighter power wires, and ran new speaker wire to each speaker inside of the vehicle.

I already did the front 2, but had to sort out the wiring for the rears. Completely removed the factory amp harness and all un-needed wiring. Found a spare set of power wires, which have been tucked for later use.

Extended all OEM wires, with OEM colored wires, then spliced on the aftermarket color wires finally to the harness. I can take the head unit out down to about the climate control with ease. No more digging for wires in horrid spots.

This is the previous owners trickery...had to go in and fix these.

He cut them so close to the connection, I would have to re-pin them. So some electrical tap and wire nuts do the trick just fine.

End result, a clean install, with all speakers working! Plenty of tweet, and plenty of boom! Much thanks to swiss for the head unit! Works perfectly

Also removed the rear seats, as they were destined for trash either way.

Few other tidbits like fixing the cig lighter and bulb, swapping out the center console, and swapping out broken air vents with ones from the ST.

Little repairs, but happy repairs.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Apr 22, 2012 - 1:21 PM
post Apr 22, 2012 - 6:57 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Bittersweet. At least it found a good home. thumbsup.gif 'Twas a good receiver.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Apr 22, 2012 - 6:57 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Apr 22, 2012 - 7:10 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Damn bro, the 20 oz red bulls, you go hard, haha. Bet its nice to have the upgraded headunit! Looks good man.

--------------------
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post Apr 22, 2012 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jan 29, 2012 - 5:08 PM) *

It's astounding what the projectors do for the car..... a perfect side by side comparison

--------------------
post Apr 23, 2012 - 6:17 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

coming along quite well!

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Apr 23, 2012 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Apr 22, 2012 - 7:57 PM) *
Bittersweet. At least it found a good home. thumbsup.gif 'Twas a good receiver.

Its banging good, can't complain =)

QUOTE (mak5603 @ Apr 22, 2012 - 8:10 PM) *
Damn bro, the 20 oz red bulls, you go hard, haha. Bet its nice to have the upgraded headunit! Looks good man.

Hah, after years of drinking them daily, only the 20oz works...slowly removing my bad habits one at a time, red bull is last on the schedule =) I love it to much.

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Apr 22, 2012 - 8:31 PM) *
It's astounding what the projectors do for the car..... a perfect side by side comparison

lol yea it truly is a diff, makes a beater look nice. My old boss had a saying "Your just putting a new dress on a old whore" =P

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Apr 23, 2012 - 7:17 AM) *
coming along quite well!

Ty sir! Can't wait to swap that failedtolift bumper out of the equation wink.gif
post Jul 3, 2012 - 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Feeling motivated again. Took a little while with the recent moving.

Not much of an update, but getting those seat covers finished up...been driving around with just 1 of the 2 for a while now.

Started ordering some parts for the 3s, and going to haul the beast out of storage tomorrow and start tearing it down now that I've clean out the back covered area.

Much thanks to batman for selling me a spare ST205 MAP sensor, one less thing on the list!
post Jul 3, 2012 - 2:04 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 4, 2012 - 1:01 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Loading up.

Only got it about 10 feet in the yard before nearly having a heatstroke. Need to acquire some more wood as well, or I'll never get it to the back.

Damn thing is heavier then I remember.

One step at a time. Looks like poo atm, but I see a diamond that just needs some polished.
post Jul 7, 2012 - 1:41 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Got the engine behind the house, now to take the AWD trannie off, and start removing accessories.

Pictures later...if I get that far this evening =P
post Jul 8, 2012 - 9:00 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

And, did you?

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 8, 2012 - 11:06 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jul 8, 2012 - 10:00 AM) *
And, did you?

Lol yea, I got the transmission off this morning after quitting when it got dark last night.

Just put my engine stand together, and need to run to the store to get bolts long enough to bolt it into the block because the trannie bolts are not long enough.

not really sure of the threads, so its going to be a couple different size purchases.
post Jul 8, 2012 - 11:08 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 8, 2012 - 1:22 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Bah, home depot did not carry the bolts, and all the fastener stores are closed =/

So i will have to start back up next weekend once I get the right bolts this week.

Some pictures of today progress.

I got alot of clean up to do thumbsdown.gif
post Jul 8, 2012 - 7:54 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

ah yes the bolts. I ran into the same problem lol. Try Ace hardware if there's one local to you, they always have everything I need. How was the transmission removal for you? Because I had a rough time due to a hidden bolt behind the center diff haha

--------------------
post Jul 9, 2012 - 7:59 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jul 8, 2012 - 7:54 PM) *
ah yes the bolts. I ran into the same problem lol. Try Ace hardware if there's one local to you, they always have everything I need. How was the transmission removal for you? Because I had a rough time due to a hidden bolt behind the center diff haha

Hmm, wondering if there is an Ace around here, havn't been to one of those since I lived in PA, and was quite some time ago. Will check though, thanks!

Yea I know exactly which bolt you are talking about, 14mm head, hidden under there. No enough clearance for a socket, so had to wrench it out, 1/2 inch turns each time in 99+ temps. People around probally heard a large percentage of my vulgarities.

It was a PITA to get her off, took me a good 1 1/2 hours once I took the rear brackets off. It was mainly because I trying not to wreck the spline, so finding the right angle and just finally muscling it off. She is heavy!

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 9, 2012 - 8:00 AM
post Jul 9, 2012 - 4:00 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Win!

Felt a little bad for the shop owner, you could tell the big box has hurt business, as the shelves were barely stocked, and he had what I needed whereas home depot did not...I shall try to bring as much business as i can his way.

He knew his stuff too, once i said it was for an engine stand. He said "must be a Jap engine" lol.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 9, 2012 - 4:03 PM
post Jul 12, 2012 - 10:28 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Want to update you folks, but these flywheel bolts are going to be the end of me.

I've wedged the flywheel to stop it from moving, but it appears I'm going to need one hell of a steel pipe to add some leverage to break these loose.

Taken a flywheel off or two, but never had this much issue. They aren't reverse threaded are they? Just curious before I start cranking on them.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 12, 2012 - 10:28 AM
post Jul 12, 2012 - 3:33 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Buy an impact wrench and a compressor. Trust me, its gonna come in handy many times after the flywheel bolts

--------------------
post Jul 13, 2012 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jul 12, 2012 - 3:33 PM) *
Buy an impact wrench and a compressor. Trust me, its gonna come in handy many times after the flywheel bolts

I bet! I have a nice compressor, but it got knocked over and busted the valve. In the process of sourcing a replacement.

This did the trick for now.

Yes that is a closet pole to hang clothing on =P

Got this far before I got tired of being soaked (Working in the rain =/ tired of excuses ) and donating blood to the flying blood suckers.

Noob question of the week, does that look like the got the angles okay for the stand mount before I tighten it up? figured best to ask, then have it fall over and be pissed I didn't take a second to make sure.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 13, 2012 - 3:41 PM
post Jul 13, 2012 - 3:53 PM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jul 13, 2012 - 3:40 PM) *
Yes that is a closet pole to hang clothing on =P

Nothing wrong with that, Helped me get my strut bolts off too biggrin.gif

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Jul 13, 2012 - 6:55 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

I know some of these updates may seem pointless and mundane, but each step for me is quite the exp. and learning as I go. So stick with me, the interesting shiz will come soon enough.

Was quite interesting getting over that step.

Finally got her where I needed it, so I have light to work on it, and a covered area. Time to buckle down and get it torn apart read to accept new parts..

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 13, 2012 - 7:20 PM
post Jul 15, 2012 - 12:49 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Yeah dude, getting the AWD tranny off while on the hoist and then getting the motor away from the tranny onto the stand is a fukking process, haha. Damn hoist legs don't "spread" enough, lol.

My buddy has a snap on battery powered impact wrench that got my flywheels bolts off in an accumulated like 30 seconds! Such a handy tool..

Looking good man, keep it up!

--------------------
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post Jul 15, 2012 - 3:02 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Got a little work done on the 3s. Just tearing things off. Not much due to camping but I'm sure I'll get a bit more done over the week.

Anyone know if the distributor cap is interchangeable from one from a MR2 3s? Mine was a bit worn and busted when I was taking the ignitor coil off. Will need the wire tool. I believe they are, just making sure before I purchase.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 15, 2012 - 3:08 PM
post Jul 15, 2012 - 4:47 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

looking good, keep up the progress biggrin.gif

ps: I think the dist cap is the same, but double check with another user before getting one
post Jul 16, 2012 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well, got the OEM downpipe off, and a few other tidbits.

Went to the other side to take the crankpully off, so I can remove the lower cover. No dice.

have a universal pulley holder on the way to assist with its removal. Should be here Wednesday. 52 smackers.

OTC 4754 Universal Pulley Holder

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 16, 2012 - 5:38 PM
post Jul 17, 2012 - 5:50 AM
+Quote Post
Sebby

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From Poland,Europe
Currently Offline

U're doing very well man, nice thread.Good luck with your plans and i'll be watching.

This post has been edited by Sebby: Jul 17, 2012 - 5:52 AM

--------------------
post Jul 18, 2012 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Sebby @ Jul 17, 2012 - 5:50 AM) *
U're doing very well man, nice thread.Good luck with your plans and i'll be watching.

Much thanks sir!

-------------

Some more needed items ordered today. Roughly 200 bucks...

Not sure if Koyo is a great brand, but read plenty of reviews for other vehicles and all have stated positive.

So if its a bad deal, I'll be sure to let you folks know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190466924875?ssP...984.m1423.l2649

If all goes well, that'll save me a few coins, and hassle getting it all in one.

Now to find a water and oil pump, then some seals and I'll be nearly complete....O yea, spark wires, and distributor cap =/
post Jul 18, 2012 - 5:18 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

koyo is a very good brand. They make our oem bearings

--------------------
post Jul 19, 2012 - 4:57 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jul 18, 2012 - 5:18 PM) *

Ah some good news then!

----------

This $##@#&% crank pulley bolt!

Using the universal pulley holder, and it ending up bending the thing, and now it just pops out whenever attempting to remove the bolt.

Used a breaker bar with a 4 1/2 foot pole on the end and still nothing.

Not even sure if a impact wrench would have the same luck, unless I buy a chain wrench and find somewhere to brace it. Or buy the SST 09962-01000 kit for 80 bucks...which I'm not looking to invest that much for one damn bolt, but I may not have a choice.

I'm to the point where I don't care if a crank pulley gets damaged from a chain wrench...excuse to buy a shiny new alloy one.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 19, 2012 - 5:47 PM
post Jul 19, 2012 - 9:12 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Jul 19, 2012 - 5:57 PM) *

Ah some good news then!

----------

Using the universal pulley holder, and it ending up bending the thing, and now it just pops out whenever attempting to remove the bolt.

Not even sure if a impact wrench would have the same luck, unless I buy a chain wrench and find somewhere to brace it. Or buy the SST 09962-01000 kit for 80 bucks...which I'm not looking to invest that much for one damn bolt, but I may not have a choice.

I'm to the point where I don't care if a crank pulley gets damaged from a chain wrench...excuse to buy a shiny new alloy one.

You tried the starter trick yet?

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Jul 20, 2012 - 8:27 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Jul 19, 2012 - 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (rave2n @ Jul 19, 2012 - 5:57 PM) *

Ah some good news then!

----------

You tried the starter trick yet?

Would love too, but not really possible with the flywheel, trannie, and starter taken off.

The engine is on a stand pretty disassembled.

I discovered yesterday the threaded holes on the pulley, so going to acquire those bolts, and make them work with my universal puller. If I have too, i'll buy a electric impact just to get this bish off =/

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 20, 2012 - 8:28 AM
post Jul 20, 2012 - 11:42 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

If you go that route make sure its a big one
Mine is 160foot pounds an couldn't get the bolt out of my crank pulley

--------------------
n
post Jul 20, 2012 - 11:56 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jul 20, 2012 - 12:42 PM) *
If you go that route make sure its a big one
Mine is 160foot pounds an couldn't get the bolt out of my crank pulley

Hmm good to know...I was about to get a lower foot pounds one...There is this one with 220 I might try. Thats if the pole on breaker bar doesn't work method.

Going to put the flywheel back on, and see if I can take the universal holder and put the flywheel bolts through it to hold the crank, then pry the hell out of it with a the breaker and closet pole

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 20, 2012 - 1:15 PM
post Jul 20, 2012 - 5:45 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

VICTORY!

Alrighty, my solution was simple, and I'm annoyed I didn't think of this before.

I took a flywheel bolt, and my pry bar. Inserted 1 flywheel bolt nearly all the way, so it didn't damage the threads. Then stuck the prybar in between that and the engine stand mounts where it connects to the case.

Took my steel pole, and breaker bar. Popped right off...i was kind of annoyed how easily it popped off without all the special tools. Just simple thinking...atleast its off and I can move on now!
post Jul 20, 2012 - 5:57 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 21, 2012 - 8:26 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Time get some shiz done today.

Bolt from hell!

Learning the right tools for the job, make things so simple.

More to come today, as this was my morning run. Get more done once the red bull kicks in, to hot to stay out long.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 21, 2012 - 8:27 AM
post Jul 21, 2012 - 10:55 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Moar progress!

Plugs don't look fouled at all, and I would say she was ran and taken care off pretty well it seems. The oil on the top of the plugs is from the valve cover being just not tight enough, so some of that leaked, but no biggie. The seals are just fine, as well the valve cover gaskets.

Huge sigh of relief once I got this far, everything looks good, no sludge, and no damage. I guess just the outside of the engine looked like a turd that needed some polishing!

Not much I do at this point besides wait on parts to arrive from the UK. Be a couple weeks it seems, for timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys.

I may update later on with some of the petty cosmetics.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 21, 2012 - 10:56 AM
post Jul 25, 2012 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

e154f sold yesterday.

Time to do a little shopping, not much, but each dollar returned is a new part.

Interesting enough, Jim asked for my address last night...so maybe I'll be getting my parts, or a restraining order..we'll see soon =P
post Jul 30, 2012 - 9:37 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Bearings and belt came in the other day.

tensioner pulley was not a koyo, but is a NSK. Not exactly what I thought, but it will work, and is still a good bearing. No sounds on either, and smooth spinning. Going to save the old one just incase.

And got these goodies in today as well..

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jul 30, 2012 - 9:38 AM
post Jul 30, 2012 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

outstanding work! way to keep at it for sure!
timing systems always look so daunting lol

--------------------
post Aug 2, 2012 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Jul 30, 2012 - 2:39 PM) *
outstanding work! way to keep at it for sure!
timing systems always look so daunting lol

TY!

Yea, I'm not going to deny working on this side of the engine is a bit...out of my comfort zone. I can turn a wrench or two, but never dug this deep into an engine, much less taken it apart so much. All in all, I'm learning fast, and it doesn't appear as difficult as I first thought.

Did make some progress yesterday.

Removed the oil pan(s) and the cover that goes under the crank so I could remove the oil pickup, to simply remove the oil pump.

Forgot to order a gasket for the oil pump, so I'm on hold waiting for that to arrive from the UK. I thought about just using some flexible high temp gasket, but it just didn't seem like a good idea. I figure if Toyota had a real gasket, I should replace it with a real gasket. Going to spend some time cleaning up all these items I've taken apart so they are nice and shiny when reinstalled. Don't want any leaks after all this work. Want to drop this engine, and not have to worry about that for quite some time.

Did get all my relays in for the IC and FP, so I may start wiring those up this weekend, and do some testing.

Anyone have any tips to get the timing to default? From what I understand, the crank has to be at 0 degrees on the timing cover, and piston one at TDC, I have that all in place, or can simply return it there with 2 spins of the crank. The part i'm worried about it the cam pulleys...when removing the belt, those moved slightly. From what I'm reading, you line those up with a notch that is on the inside of the cam to the head. Basically the pulley itself has a dot on one of the spokes with simply would appear to face all the way to the top from what I'm seeing.

Just trying to avoid having the timing off a tooth or whatever. Any insight would be much appreciated, as once that gasket gets in, everything will be put back together, then it is time to focus on the items in the bay itself.
post Aug 4, 2012 - 12:43 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Cleaning up some items while I wait for 1 gasket!

Forgot to get a picture before the first soak in simple green...half way into the soak.

A bit cleaner today after a rinse, degreaser and some steel wool.

Waiting to be done!
post Aug 4, 2012 - 12:54 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

In your words, getting it done. Cool stuff, having your hands that deep in the most important bits. Glad you're gaining knowledge because that **** is about to be put down.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Aug 4, 2012 - 12:54 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Aug 4, 2012 - 3:15 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Aug 4, 2012 - 1:54 PM) *
In your words, getting it done. Cool stuff, having your hands that deep in the most important bits. Glad you're gaining knowledge because that **** is about to be put down.

Lol after this, your swap will be cake =P
post Aug 4, 2012 - 4:26 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

I'm almost more excited about seeing your 3S go in...

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Aug 4, 2012 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

some of that gunk, can be better handled with pinesol.

http://nighthawk-forums.com/tools-and-equi...egreaser-topic/

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 7, 2012 - 3:53 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Got some more done today.

Cleaned all surfaces, and applied new ultra-BLACK rtv to oil pan #1, and of course installed the cleaned oil pickup, and crank splash guard whatever it is thingamajiger.

Installed pan, installed the 2nd oil pump pulley, as well the pump itself with a new fresh paper gasket. Sprayed it with some clear acyrilic because I did not have sealer, but from some web searches I heard that works just as well. Applied proper torque to bolts and got it all done. Tensioner pulley installed, as well the oil pump pulley with some locktite. Just locktited about everything tbh. Even the pain in the butt allen heat bolts found all over the place while doing this job.

Belt put on for mock purposes, tomorrow I'll make sure everything is TDC, and install the tensioner, spin it twice, and check again. Tomorrow is timing hell day =)

The pic

This post has been edited by rave2n: Aug 7, 2012 - 4:51 PM
post Aug 9, 2012 - 3:57 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Getting there, timing slightly off, but I know well enough to do it in 5 minutes now.

had to go buy a vice to reset the tensioner, but meh, needed one anyway.

Jim says, he'll be sending me shipping info in the next 2 weeks...so maybe I'll be getting what I need..maybe I won't don't know. My legal advice says 2 weeks remaining..so we'll see.

Ready to get this done...
post Aug 11, 2012 - 3:06 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Finally got the timing right. Had to pull the tensioner off about 8 times, but I wasn't settling until it was right.

And some cleaning in the area.

Valve cover back on, greased gaskets, and some rtv on the edges, and where the cams are. Just extra leak security I figured couldn't hurt.

Little wire wheel action...

Patiently waiting on parts =/
post Aug 16, 2012 - 6:10 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

A little bit of progress today...

Some more general cleaning, painting little parts such as the bracket around the turbo housing...no idea what that is called, but I know it can be seen, so I sprayed some high temp black on it. Cleaned and sprayed the alt bracket.

As well cleaned and installed the second oil pan. Should be sealed real well.

Threw a filter on, waiting for the gasket to cure. So I can put some oil in it, and rotate it a bunch. Just not comfortable having it sit there dry...may be paranoia...but meh, atleast I know it'll be good and lubed in all the places i've been working. It'll all be drained and done again soon enough. Just going to be a bit of a wait for some parts...and Jim...

Things to acquire:

Downpipe (Berk or cheapo...we'll see)
Clutch & Flywheel (Grind or new..not sure yet)
Spark Plugs
Spark Wireset
Distro Cap & Rotor
AC and Alt Belt (if anyone knows the #s for these, or any one in the US I can grab that'll work let me know please)
Power Steering Belt ("")
Paint for heatshield (havn't decided on color yet, may just go black)
Bunch of hose replacements
Water in & out hoses

Thats about it for the engine itself...bunch for the bay itself...such as rad, exchanger, IC pump, AC lines, harness conversion...list goes on, but its getting shorter day by day.
post Sep 10, 2012 - 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Argh so busy right now...

Can't get anything done on the engine or car...

Need more time and $$$

post Sep 10, 2012 - 12:43 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

keep it up dude, it's all gonna be worth it in the end

--------------------
post Sep 26, 2012 - 4:21 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Getting closer! You'll have it swapped in no time. Then we will need to see dyno runs. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 27, 2012 - 12:46 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 26, 2012 - 5:21 PM) *
Getting closer! You'll have it swapped in no time. Then we will need to see dyno runs. biggrin.gif

Yessir! I'm thinking it'll be in the vehicle by January at the latest.

Just purchased some items for the celica yesterday..mostly maint. but some other fun items.

Axles, and seals for said axles, also going to pick up a free S54 from someone 30 minutes away. Figured couldn't hurt to have a spare, specially considering the one I have now makes some noises that do not please me.

And I got the dipyourcar kit, so she'll be matte black soon.

Most likely do the axle's and seals this weekend, and sand it down. Some bondo fill, spray the next weekend.

This is all saying my on-call job gives me a break.

On the 3s..still waiting on parts from Jim - "2 weeks" is what I keep hearing..every 2 weeks..
post Sep 28, 2012 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

A freshly rebuilt S54 Transmission. Free of charge!

The story goes, this lady send a celica in to get repaired, they rebuilt the transmission, but found issue with the engine during the process. Since it was only a transmission shop, they sent it to somewhere to do the engine work, but was later found to be to expensive on top of the current transmission build, so they took the trannie out, and scraped the celica or sold to shop from my understanding as is.

Sat outside for a year, covered at least. They couldn't find anyone to buy it for what they paid in repairs, so they just posted it for free and I scooped it right up.

So if the story is truthful, I have a freshly rebuilt S54 for the swap. I've turned the spline a bunch and it moves like butter, no apparent damage or binds. Havn't had a chance to shift it through gears, but so far it just looks a little ugly on the outside, but no rust, and the inside differental is clean as could be. So I think i'm good.

And my axles came in for dirty weekend of fun.

So if all goes well, and work isn't up my butt for once this weekend. New axles, seals, fluids. Then sand down, and bondo the dents, then paint the following weekend.

post Sep 28, 2012 - 11:12 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

FREE S54?!?! Throw an MR-S LSD in there and call that a "transmission expense!" That's some incredible luck!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 28, 2012 - 11:24 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

^ It's deserved, he gave me an excellent deal on his tranny & associating bits. Karma in action.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Sep 28, 2012 - 11:26 AM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Sep 30, 2012 - 9:37 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Sep 28, 2012 - 11:12 AM) *
FREE S54?!?! Throw an MR-S LSD in there and call that a "transmission expense!" That's some incredible luck!

Haha, I actually looked up the cost of those LSD's...its...feasible. What I may do is to get the project moving, use the new trannie for the 3s, take out the old S54 and then apply some LSD to it, and replace all the soft bits. Then when its time for a new clutch on the 3s, I'll throw the old trannie back in with its new greatness.

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Sep 28, 2012 - 11:24 AM) *
^ It's deserved, he gave me an excellent deal on his tranny & associating bits. Karma in action.

smile.gif - Now if karma would calm down and let me get this axle bolt off we'd be straight.

---------

Broke 3 breaker bars yesterday and this morning trying to get the axle nut off that I tightened by hand a few weeks ago. Guess this p90x is working...

So..I'm done for the weekend, got nothing accomplished, besides now knowing I have to go purchase an impact gun and fix my compressor....I've been dragging my feet on it for a while, so its due. No excuses!

This post has been edited by rave2n: Sep 30, 2012 - 9:37 AM
post Nov 4, 2012 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Putting the skirts on, and rear splitters. Also filling in a huge gap. No idea where it came from, purchased it like this.

Alot of this is temp install. I'll eventually need 2 new fenders, and a few other items, but this is just to get the plastidip on it, and make it look a bit better. Basically it has been annoying me how it looks, and distracting me from working on the swap.

That and Jim still not sending parts, but said is going to send money when he can get steady service...bout tired of his ****. Lawsuit goes active on Monday.

waiting on the caulk to dry, which will be tomorrow...=/ - So no spray today, but will prime the skirts before I drive it around. Hide the blue

post Nov 14, 2012 - 8:39 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well got the skirts and rear splitters put on. As well plastidipped the whole car.

Trying to figure out if I want to put the tail back on...opinions?

This post has been edited by rave2n: Nov 14, 2012 - 8:40 AM
post Nov 14, 2012 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

I spy the ST! Color looks much better.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 14, 2012 - 9:27 AM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 14, 2012 - 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

I say put it back on

--------------------
n
post Nov 15, 2012 - 8:44 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

x2

paint looks great

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2012 - 1:30 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

--------------------

post Nov 17, 2012 - 3:44 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 16, 2012 - 1:30 AM) *

Same quality of work too wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
post Nov 23, 2012 - 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
Zake

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 7, '10
From Ft. Lauderdale
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Nov 14, 2012 - 7:39 AM) *
Well got the skirts and rear splitters put on. As well plastidipped the whole car.

Trying to figure out if I want to put the tail back on...opinions?

That just looks sexy. I say leave it off. It looks clean and stealthy like this

--------------------

Never Forget. - 2013 Mustang. I miss you every day.

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 14th, 2024 - 10:56 PM