> 400+ hp daily driven?
post Nov 15, 2014 - 3:16 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That's what SAAB did with their turbo FWD cars, limited the first 2-3 gears with more power on each gear until max power was released. I can't remember where exactly I saw it, but there's a way to setup something similar with an aftermarket solution.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 15, 2014 - 11:29 AM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Two years of research is a lot different than two years of experience. I speak from experience, and some of the others responding to you on this thread do as well. We are only trying to help, and set you in a safe direction for YOU, your CAR, and your POCKET. We would hate to see your dreams of 400hp daily driven go up in flames because you didn't accept valid advice, and damaged the engine beyond repair or overhaul for your forged internals. There wouldn't be accepted methods for your horsepower goals if nobody had failed at it in the past. Some of your comments to other members in this thread may be viewed as snide or know-it-all-like. One day you might need our help again, and your cries for help may fall on deaf ears.

--------------------
post Nov 15, 2014 - 11:38 AM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

A bolt on 3sgte is very much underrated. When I first rode in my car as a passenger I was taken away, along with my friend that was with. I have always been around fast cars, I'm in no way saying this is ballistic but it will break the tires loose with awd. I agree with everyone else, just get used to it. I understand you want to get used to it with all the power but the 3s is already a tower of power.

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Nov 15, 2014 - 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

Ok I understand and see everyones point, traction, forged internals, safety blah blah blah. I know all of that, not saying anyone is wrong. but none of that is relevant

My question is if anyone has daily driven a 3sgte swapped celica that was pushing 400hp or more. If so, then I would like to speak to them personally

Its like if I asked you what one plus one is and you say "well arturio thats a good question but first we have to speak about the difference between negative and positive integers...and do you really need to know one plus one? Isnt just one enough? Whats the unit of measure? Whats the density of the things you are adding together"

In other words....I just want an answer to my question. You guys are like carlton on that episode of the fresh prince when they went on that game show

**edit**
if im gonna just blow up my car or mess up the engine or whatever may happen...then cool let me learn my lesson. Then next time this question is asked by someone, I can give my input and for the first time ever on 6gc.net, someone's question will receive a direct answer

This post has been edited by Arturio55: Nov 15, 2014 - 12:20 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Azncelica @ Mar 4, 2012 - 11:43 PM) *
I started with what I know to do, I swap engine into my car, I knew it was too much work to make it a AWD. I kept it FWD. Went to take a crack at doing the wiring conversion. Than, I realize, shoot, this is out of my league.
post Nov 15, 2014 - 12:52 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Alright, you're on your own. Have fun blowing up an engine that cost more than your car.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 15, 2014 - 1:06 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I guess I see things a bit differently than most people on here. You want 400 whp, I want you to have 400 whp. I think that's a little too much for a FWD street driven car, but SRT4's and Cobalt SS's do it all the time and I've seen Tao's beast in person, that thing is NUTS. Traction will be an issue, but LSD and damn good tires will help. And if 400 is too much, you can always turn the boost down. There aren't a lot here with that much power, so it'll be hard to get the answers you're looking for, but we have a lot of cookie-cutter builds around here (which are great! don't get me wrong,) but if someone wants to try something new then I'm all for it.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 15, 2014 - 1:16 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 15, 2014 - 1:52 PM) *
Alright, you're on your own. Have fun blowing up an engine that cost more than your car.

Oh ill have tons of fun.
if anyone else is curious tho, I will have quite a few supporting mods. In the original post I did say I would build up the engine. Only reason I didnt post everything here is because this isnt a mod list or "my project" post.
but I will have a hydra nemesis, prob bigger (880cc?) injectors, water injection, a turbo upgrade (maybe the street brawler kit) and other little things. Hell, I might go ahead and do forged internals but you negative nancys irritate me so much and make me want to use the stock internals out of spite. So we'll see. I dont wanna tear down the engine unless I get a daily car and actually have an entire week to myself to tear it down and rebuild it.

If all hell breaks loose then so be it. When Einstein was designing the atom bomb, they thought it would set the atmosphere on fire and destory earth. Yet the american government dumped billions of dollars into the project which was successful and they slaughtered a bunch of japanese people. Just like im gonna slaughter a bunch of japanese cars. (No offense to anyone of japanese orientation....dont worry I hate my government passionately)

Anyways....still, have this many comments and views, nobody has answered my original post

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 15, 2014 - 2:06 PM) *
I guess I see things a bit differently than most people on here. You want 400 whp, I want you to have 400 whp. I think that's a little too much for a FWD street driven car, but SRT4's and Cobalt SS's do it all the time and I've seen Tao's beast in person, that thing is NUTS. Traction will be an issue, but LSD and damn good tires will help. And if 400 is too much, you can always turn the boost down. There aren't a lot here with that much power, so it'll be hard to get the answers you're looking for, but we have a lot of cookie-cutter builds around here (which are great! don't get me wrong,) but if someone wants to try something new then I'm all for it.

Thank you. You deserve a grammy award my good man. The support is appreciated more than you know. Ill do my best and be sure to document my progress.
do you have a link for anything on Tao's build?

This post has been edited by Arturio55: Nov 15, 2014 - 1:17 PM

--------------------
I started with what I know to do, I swap engine into my car, I knew it was too much work to make it a AWD. I kept it FWD. Went to take a crack at doing the wiring conversion. Than, I realize, shoot, this is out of my league.
post Nov 15, 2014 - 1:29 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Oh, my bad. I forgot to link you to Tao.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=10000...ource=typeahead

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 15, 2014 - 2:14 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 15, 2014 - 2:29 PM) *
Oh, my bad. I forgot to link you to Tao.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=10000...ource=typeahead

Just contacted him. Lol looks like he has the streetbrawler kit I plan on getting, so I guess im on the right track

--------------------
post Nov 15, 2014 - 4:32 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arturio55 @ Nov 14, 2014 - 8:12 PM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 14, 2014 - 6:20 PM) *
You'll be pushing your luck with the ct20b. I know around 19-20psi is it's limit. However, that's not something you should run at constantly with that turbo.
I believe around 19psi on ct26 would put down around 325hp-ish

Which is when I get that street brawler turbo kit I mentioned in the original post....

I fcking know what you said, all I was doing was letting you know what the limit of the ct20b is because you won't be able to reach your power goals with it.
post Nov 15, 2014 - 6:34 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 15, 2014 - 4:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Arturio55 @ Nov 14, 2014 - 8:12 PM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 14, 2014 - 6:20 PM) *
You'll be pushing your luck with the ct20b. I know around 19-20psi is it's limit. However, that's not something you should run at constantly with that turbo.
I believe around 19psi on ct26 would put down around 325hp-ish

Which is when I get that street brawler turbo kit I mentioned in the original post....

I fcking know what you said, all I was doing was letting you know what the limit of the ct20b is because you won't be able to reach your power goals with it.

Lol calm down man

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2014 - 4:29 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

lessen wheel hope with custom made spherical bushings, or find the inner diameter and necessary measurements for the mcpherson control arms and source one from another vehicle that an aftermarket company made spherical bushings for, or install superstrut suspension

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 16, 2014 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 16, 2014 - 4:29 AM) *
lessen wheel hope with custom made spherical bushings, or find the inner diameter and necessary measurements for the mcpherson control arms and source one from another vehicle that an aftermarket company made spherical bushings for, or install superstrut suspension

I was planning on getting poly bushings from that dude in poland.. and I already have coilovers so screw the super strut lol
although I do wish I went with my original plans to swap a beams in. Couldve gotten a front clip with lsd and superstrut for 1450 shipped but decided to go this route instead based on power goals and accessibility of parts. That damn beams is too rare

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2014 - 6:29 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arturio55 @ Nov 16, 2014 - 11:59 AM) *

I was planning on getting poly bushings from that dude in poland.. and I already have coilovers so screw the super strut lol
although I do wish I went with my original plans to swap a beams in. Couldve gotten a front clip with lsd and superstrut for 1450 shipped but decided to go this route instead based on power goals and accessibility of parts. That damn beams is too rare

I wouldn't go near superstrut, that stuff is way too expensive to maintain.

This place right? http://gt4-racing.eu/index.php

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 16, 2014 - 6:29 PM
post Nov 16, 2014 - 7:11 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 16, 2014 - 7:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Arturio55 @ Nov 16, 2014 - 11:59 AM) *

I wouldn't go near superstrut, that stuff is way too expensive to maintain.

This place right? http://gt4-racing.eu/index.php

Yes. Gonna get control arm bushings and some new endlinks..might get tranny mount inserts from kirkosaurus

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2014 - 7:39 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Just throwing this out there but the BEAMS is NOWHERE near the "pain" that people think it is. Normal wear items are readily available here in the States and extended wear items like the timing belt and cool packs do take a little time to order from Japan, but they're also easy to keep an eye on and order well ahead of time. That being said, 3S-GTE is still the way to go!

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 16, 2014 - 7:51 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 16, 2014 - 7:39 PM) *
Just throwing this out there but the BEAMS is NOWHERE near the "pain" that people think it is. Normal wear items are readily available here in the States and extended wear items like the timing belt and cool packs do take a little time to order from Japan, but they're also easy to keep an eye on and order well ahead of time. That being said, 3S-GTE is still the way to go!

Lol then maybe once im done with this build ill find an auto GT with a blown engine and drop a beams in, then just daily that one.
and yes I said auto. All my friends are too lame to learn how to drive stick, so sometimes finding a designated driver is damn near impossible. Also I take a lot of trips to far places, so maybe I wanna sleep and have a friend drive instead.

Anyone have any idea if its possible to install a steptronic shifter and tranny from a newer car and run it off some weird standalone ecu? Not that I want to im just curious. I know the new corollas have a 5 speed auto tranny with paddle shifters...or was it 6 speed?

--------------------
post Nov 18, 2014 - 3:47 AM
+Quote Post
malpaso

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 3, '06
From Czech Republic (Europe)
Currently Offline

Arturio55... From what I read in this topic you already know everything you need. So I am afraid you really can not get more from here. To your question: Is here anyone who has 400HP as daily driver? (based on 20 years old car with 20 years old engine). I believe is not (but I can be wrong... I am here 10 years - true - but am not active poster anymore. Anything could change meanwhile). Why?

1) put 400HP to FWD (in terms of technology 20 years old) car and make it daily drive is stupid idea. In real world you need to corner (from time to time) not just drive straight. Front wheels need to be able to steer in first place. Not mentioning tarmac is not always perfect dry to get all power from wheels to the road. And when I say 400HP I talk about REAL power. Not some impossible fakes I read about in some topics here. I know how much REAL power can handle stock 3SGTE injectors, I know how much boost can engine internals handle... Read through some UK forums wink.gif.

2) build such a car (and running it more than few miles) cost money. Insane amount of money. You have no idea... (If I knew 5 years ago how much I pay in total I would not do it at all).

You no need to "lol" to what I wrote (what you will do for sure anyway because you have own opinion on things and you believe it's only true) - sure. Have it. Only what has left to share is:

- I had FWD Celica with GT-four power as daily drive (so far from 400HP). It was real power on wheels. Tuned on Dyno. And it was not not that funny as I expected (more scary than funny).
- I have now my second Celica (because I learned from mistakes it is GT-Four) let's say with power you aim to. I paid $35K in total and it took 5 years finishing it. I found limits of stock 3SGTE engine. And learned effective power is not just about engine... engine has now 25k miles on clock. And still perfectly running (proof of well job done).

I had my lesson. Now is your time wink.gif.

This post has been edited by malpaso: Nov 18, 2014 - 3:51 AM

--------------------
No more replicas... This is evolution... This is SS-four :)

________[Featured Celica of 6gc.net @ 2010]_________
post Nov 18, 2014 - 11:12 AM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

Could not have been said better ^^^

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Nov 18, 2014 - 12:12 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

Malpaso, thank you for understanding that I do actually know what im talking about... some of the other members must think im some stupid kid.
secondly, yes I know itll be hard to control. Im hoping the lsd, coilovers and poly bushings will help control that.
Also, no im not gonna "lol" at what you said. I know its sort of ridiculous to throw 400hp at a fwd car. Thats why I asked if anyone has done it, I wanted to know if it was practical at all. I wanted to hear about personal experiences. To my understanding, Tao has done it and did it well. Thank you for your input also.

Im gonna try to build that power reliably. If its too much (which it most likely will be) then ill just keep the boost at a low setting...maybe get an electronic boost controller with multiple maps. And ill try to tune it so that it accesses that power in the high rpms, that way I can just keep a light foot while city driving.

I know ill be throwing a lot of money into it. But we don't have gt4s in the USA. I have considered getting a 5th gen alltrac, but they only pop up once in a blue moon. Very rare. Maybe in the future ill try to do an awd conversion. Ive done my fair share of research and seen pipes car, Czwalga, and a couple other attempts. If I ever get the money ill experiment.

I want to thank everyone who was friendly and actually tried to help and answer my question. I know everything I need to know about building an engine/suspension. Just wanted to know if anyone was able to build a practical fwd 400hp celica. Ill take my chances and let the 6gc world know how it turns out

--------------------

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 2:29 PM