post Aug 7, 2009 - 9:21 PM
+Quote Post
KAOS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '06
From Calgary, Canada
Currently Offline

... back from the dead.

Does anyone run without the timing covers on?

--------------------
post May 17, 2010 - 3:08 PM
+Quote Post
SL44

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 26, '06
From West Covina, CA
Currently Offline

This is a great how-to. There are a few steps that could be done in a different sequence; but this coupled with the Chilton will make this job less difficult. I've done this a couple times and now know what to expect; be sure to have more time than originally planned.
post Sep 27, 2012 - 6:11 PM
+Quote Post
atcos4

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 27, '12
From derby ks
Currently Offline

i know this thing is way old but did anyone else have trouble with the crankshaft bolt? any bolt/screwdriver i could get in the holes are to small to really do anything other than just bend or break when going at it with a breaker bar?? and well honestly an ipact is out of the question for me for money reasons.m is there anywhere else i could hold it from? thanks in advance for any advice.
post Sep 27, 2012 - 8:32 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

put the car in gear and have someone hold th brake pedal down, then use a long breaker bar. that should do it

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Sep 28, 2012 - 8:06 AM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

QUOTE (atcos4 @ Sep 27, 2012 - 6:11 PM) *
i know this thing is way old but did anyone else have trouble with the crankshaft bolt? any bolt/screwdriver i could get in the holes are to small to really do anything other than just bend or break when going at it with a breaker bar?? and well honestly an ipact is out of the question for me for money reasons.m is there anywhere else i could hold it from? thanks in advance for any advice.

Brace the breaker bar agaisnt either the lower control arm or the ground and briefly crank the starter. It will get the bolt loose everytime
post Sep 28, 2012 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Oh, I forgot to thank you when I used this tutorial....

Last year, I paid a repair shop to change the timing belt, and at the time I just didn't think I needed to do the water pump. Well I got it back from them and the car was missing and sputtering etc... obviously the timing, so I took it back to them.

It came back again running, but seemed like I had bent a rod in the whole timing belt fiasco of 11. Well fast forward a year and the water pump seizes up, low and behold, this time I decide I'm going to conquer it myself, so I follow this tutorial.

First I had to go to the pawn shop and pay $25.00 for a corded impact wrench and some other misc tools, but after that, off and running. I also want to give a shout out to RockAuto.com for the excellent parts and fast shipping on the timing belt/water pump/tensioners kit that I purchased also. It was a breeze with the instructions and pics.

Thanks, thanks, thanks....

Oh again as a side note, I've started purchasing nearly all my parts for the gen 6 celica on RockAuto.com they have a ton of the wear parts we go through and offer economy, daily driver, and performance parts for most the stuff we use on these cars.

Great Tutorial, follow it and you should be successful
post Sep 28, 2012 - 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

RockAuto is a solid site, not just for buying but for price comparison and part number sources including pictures.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Sep 28, 2012 - 11:52 AM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 26, 2013 - 12:26 AM
+Quote Post
vasilescus

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 26, '13
From sydney
Currently Offline

@azian_advanced you're a legend! biggrin.gif I used your post and did my '91 ST184 celica, 2.2 5SFE and it works great now. for mechanically illiterates like me, I could have used some more info regarding the oil seals change from the camshaft, oil pump and crankshaft, and also strengthening the timing belt after replacing it, but apart from that it was going great. I guess following these steps anyone can do the timing belt replacement with little trouble. For those that own a celica like mine, I would like to add that the top cover of the timing belt does come off with a bit of extra force as the brake pump is in the way.

Any ideas about changing the power steering pressure hose?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

[font="Impact"][/font][size="7"][/size][color="#FF0000"][/color]
post Feb 7, 2013 - 7:02 PM
+Quote Post
xxgetbackupxx

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 20, '12
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (KAOS @ Aug 7, 2009 - 10:21 PM) *
... back from the dead.

Does anyone run without the timing covers on?

I do, no problems at all. I lost the covers actually... probably because a bolt fell in destroying my brand new belt d=-( so i tossed it across the shop lol... but ya no biggie
post Feb 7, 2013 - 10:40 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

if someone will do this for the 3sge

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 1, 2013 - 7:54 PM
+Quote Post
1994whitecelicag...

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 13, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Hi!

I'm sorry to bother you, but I am just about to take upon this project myself. But the pictures on your photobucket have expired. Is there any way for you to repost it?
post Sep 4, 2013 - 12:52 AM
+Quote Post
1994whitecelicag...

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 13, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Thank You!

I have just finished my timing belt, water pump, and oil pump! It wouldn't have been possible without your hope! Thank you!
post Dec 27, 2013 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

this was a big help, but I wish i'd of been better prepared for the bolts on the psteering pump, and the bottom of the motor bracket. You need a long skinny 14mm like a serpentine belt tool. when you guys pull that motor mount bracket how do you get to it? in the pics here it looks like you've got it jscked all the way up.
on my neon there was a hole in the firewall right through the fenderwell where you could put a socket right through it.
tomorrow when I put it bCK TOGETHER I may get the hole saw out...

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post Jan 3, 2014 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
VavAlephVav

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 3, '13
From Missourah
Currently Offline

Ill add a couple of pics to help anybody who is taking this apart for the first time. If you're a pro mechanic you've probably got all kinds of extra tools for those specialy tricky spots.
Here are a couple you'll need for the Celica, mine is a 1994 ST204 with a replaced 5s-fe ( I think it came out of a later model Camary because they shaved a few inches off the bell housing to make the oilpan fit)

The deal is that to get to the upper bolt on the power steering pump, and the three bolts that hold the engine mounting bracket the motor are a Beeatch.
Fist thing you'll wish you had is a nice long skinny socket of some sort, I happened to already have one they sell as a "serpentine belt tool"

These bolts are 14mm , the other wrench you'll be glad to have is a 14mm with a box-end ratchet, one with a 45* angle, the straight one won't help ya much.
they sell nice Durolast ones at Auto Zone in singles so you don't have to buy the whole set.

After the whole thing is apart you've only got these few parts off the car

When I first got mine the guy told me he put a new clutch and a new motor in it, and he replaced the timing belt while he had it out, but it made a funny whiirrrr noise, He said "I think maybe I got the timing belt too tight"
Which I thought was strange, and I assumed surely he had replaced the water pump while he was at it.. sure.

after two months the whiirr noise turned into the familiar squak squak of a water pump and a little dribble below the motor gave it away for sure.
I got a Gates timing belt kit including both pulleys and new spring, the kit came with two springs, one for the 1.8L and one for the 2.2L
the spring for the 2.2 is a little longer, but when I got it apart I found the spring on there was different from both of them

the one on the top it the brand new one and the one on the bottom is the one I found on it,
notice they are about the same length, yet the bottom one has a different amount of coils, This would most certainly make for a different tension even though the
length is the same, either way, I don't like to play around and so I make sure to replace the belt, idler, tensioner, spring, water pump all together.
and IDK if the dude just found this random spring somewhere or what but it sounds a whole lot better now

--------------------
Bust a Deal; Face the Wheel.
post May 9, 2017 - 1:22 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

a video guide sure will help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNZgg-c22w

make sure to watch the part 2 as well....

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post May 9, 2017 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

One of the best write up I have seen thus far. When I bought the car, I had a friend retired Toyota mechanic who replaced it for me at dealer cost but that was still close to 300 with parts. i have book marked this site for future use.

thank You OP!

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 8:28 AM