> TSZ 1MZ-FE, The project car
post Apr 22, 2017 - 3:49 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Hello, my name is Toua Vang, I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.
Some of you know this car from before as this was previously snapshotgt's Celica.

The story of acquiring the car:
After my 5GC GTS and my S/T 20V AE102G, I was in the market for something unique (that's Toyota) and rust free so that meant travelling out of MN.
Long story short, almost got a camry all-trac from the west coast or a 5gc from the east coast.
Ended up in south coast to get Colin's 1MZ 6GC. 18 hour drive home and my very first ticket (speeding); totally worth it.

First mod: 20mm/25mm spacers on the front/rear with the 7gc wheels. Nearly sits flush with the vehicle.

Other things I have done so far:
Audio system: A small sub and amp
New intake filter: Coned shaped K&N filter to replace the old cylindrical one.
Euro riser blocks: Reps from Teo, highly recommend his stuff.
Wheels and tires: Fixed my brother's curb-rash 5-Zigen FN01RC and new paint w/ some new Yokohama S Drives.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Jan 22, 2022 - 3:02 PM
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
post Apr 22, 2017 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Welcome! I really liked that car, so much so that had it been closer I'd have bought it most likely.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 22, 2017 - 11:34 PM
+Quote Post
Wild202

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 10, '17
From Russia, Izhevsk
Currently Offline

Very interesting.
How does the car travel with this engine?

--------------------
Email - vad07@inbox.ru
post Apr 23, 2017 - 9:38 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

im not familiar with this swap, did i help with it?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Apr 23, 2017 - 6:55 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 23, 2017 - 10:38 AM) *
im not familiar with this swap, did i help with it?

no, not everything is about you Jeff.
As unbelievable as it seems, others have done a 1mz swap before you were around on the forum.

Nice to see Colin's car with a good owner, looking good "thumbsup:

here's some backround on Colin's story.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53507

and then

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61666

--------------------
post Apr 26, 2017 - 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
Bushmatic

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 17, '16
From Grand Rapids, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Apr 22, 2017 - 4:49 PM) *
Hello, my name is Toua Vang, I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.

This quote just made it into my signature laugh.gif

Really great car, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

--------------------

I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.
post May 9, 2017 - 8:17 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Wild202 @ Apr 22, 2017 - 11:34 PM) *
Very interesting.
How does the car travel with this engine?

It's not bad actually, pulls really good all things considered.
I have a video somewhere from last year, I'll see if I can find it.
But gotta love the low end torque, given that it lives most of it's life under 3000 rpm.
post May 9, 2017 - 9:04 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Sorry it's been a while, I thought to post up the next reply but then I figured I had to wait a bit for the thread to pop up first.

Anyhow, the new intake has been in since earlier this year (2017) around Feb. I didn't drive it but man was I too excited to put in the new one.
I also attempted to clean the old one and keep it just in case something goes wrong.

Next are the awesome Euro blocks from EndWorks! If you're looking for OEM alternatives I would highly recommend his stuff.
Although I had to do some extra fitting on one side of the blocks it turned out really nice. (The right side had one hole that didn't fit.
I ended just drilling the hole to make it fit better. Also got new stainless steel bolts and washers from Menards.)
Here's the arrival of them.

When I first bought the car I knew it had some trunk rust on the wings, so here I am checking out how bad it was.

I ended up sanding it down and bondo over it to cover up the metal. Originally I was going to repaint the spots and leave it but after trying out the blocks they actually cover up the area. So in addition to primer/paint/coat I added some black plasti-dip under it so (hopefully) water doesn't get to the new spot. Sadly I totally forgot to take pictures of the process. But here they are on and fitted and me after I took a step back....

Next update will be the wheel setup (hopefully I'll post tomorrow), I haven't gotten the new one's on yet since my right wheel bearing is going out so I'm going to replace both sides along with the torn boots. I remember Colin having issues with this since the axles setup is stretching the boots out too much, I'll have to see what I can do about it.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:17 PM
post May 9, 2017 - 9:06 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ Apr 22, 2017 - 7:31 PM) *
Welcome! I really liked that car, so much so that had it been closer I'd have bought it most likely.

Ha ha thanks man, I know I didn't think I would go out so far to get it.
But given it's uniqueness and how clean it is (compared to a rusty Northern car) I had to get it.
It was this or a MR2; but I couldn't find any good MR2's during my search for the right price.
post May 9, 2017 - 9:11 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Bushmatic @ Apr 26, 2017 - 10:57 PM) *

This quote just made it into my signature laugh.gif

Really great car, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Holy crap I JUST realized my grammar mistake haha. Oh well, it probably does run in my blood so I'll just keep it so.
post May 10, 2017 - 5:19 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I love the Euro risers, always wanted a set for mine.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 10, 2017 - 9:43 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

We Minnesotans have great taste lol. We have this, 400hp 3sgte, k-swapped 6g, etc.

I seriously considered this car but it didn't fit my budget. Hope to see it roam the streets of MN!

--------------------
post May 11, 2017 - 8:42 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

i was wondering what happened to this car. Looks really nice man

--------------------
post May 13, 2017 - 1:50 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Alright, wheel time! Jk, not yet. As stated earlier I found that my right wheel bearing is going out so I haven't had time to put the new wheels on.
The wheels are old school 5zigen FNO1RC 17x8 +35mm wrapped in Yokohama S-Drive (235/40/17).

Short story: These wheels have been in the family for over 5 years. It started out on a 7GC from my cousin to which my brother then bought it from him for his 6GC.

My brother actually still has the car, although it's now on it's 3rd brother haha. Sadly my 2nd brother who owned it rode them through winter a couple of times so a lot of rash and erosion. After getting to my 3rd brother, he decided to give me the wheels as I was looking for new wheels. I ended up taking it to the shop to fix them up and paint them (hyper silver). It was neat that the shop also balanced and fitted my new tires too! I don't have previous photos as my old phone died on me but I do have it when they're done!

Got me some new closed in lugs too! Muteki SR35.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:19 PM
post May 13, 2017 - 1:51 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ May 11, 2017 - 8:42 PM) *
i was wondering what happened to this car. Looks really nice man

Thanks man! I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible with adding a few mods. It's so hard to find cleaner 6gc's up in MN, especially a Baltic Blue one.
post May 13, 2017 - 8:40 PM
+Quote Post
JDUB

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 5, '08
From Portland, Oregon
Currently Offline

Hey that's my old celica (Topaz brown)! The guy bought it from me while I was stationed in Nebraska! Always loved snapshots v6, looking good man!
post May 13, 2017 - 9:56 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (JDUB @ May 13, 2017 - 8:40 PM) *
Hey that's my old celica (Topaz brown)! The guy bought it from me while I was stationed in Nebraska! Always loved snapshots v6, looking good man!

Ha ha hey! Thanks bro. Yeah I remember when my brother and my cousin came and got it from you. Lol he definitely pioneered the whole "out of state" buying for my family, although I've definitely taken it the farthest travelling to both west and south coast (CA & TX).
It's kinda beat up now (sorry), but if money is right (or time eventually gives) plans are on the way to restore it (or at least get a 3sgte, the old 5sfe is already over 300k).
post Jun 6, 2017 - 12:21 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Alright some update! It's been a while since the last update.

Got my wheels on! But I'm having new issues that I'll address in a bit.

I went in for a custom alignment from a guy up here in MN named Jeff (The Alignment Guy).

After the alignment, I started getting a huge road noise. Turned out to be my front driver rotor essentially grinding on my pads. So new pads and resurfaced rotors!

Next is wheel balancing (again). Steering wheels still shake so I'm taking the easier way out; cause if it's still shaking it might be the axle (PLZ NO).

I also went on a small amateur photography afternoon-evening by myself. Found an almost empty but very quiet Metro Transit parking lot.
Pictures soon...

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:24 PM
post Jun 20, 2017 - 10:34 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Sorry for super late update on the photo's. Not the best photos or edits; but it's a work in progress!
Got some VIDEOS too; but still trying to figure out how to add them. I might just end up putting them on youtube.

Shortly after this session I got a LOUD grinding sound from my left wheel bearing.
Turns out I didn't properly press in both sides, so I ended up getting some hubs from a 97 ST at the local junkyard.
Much rustier than the originals, but do they ride smoother. I'll re-do the original hubs whenever these go bad.

No major updates so far; but cosmetically I changed the side markers to a set of clear depo one's I had and returned the 3rd clear trunk light to red.
Did it so all the front light covers are clear and the rear is (mostly) red. Eventually I'll get some more Wolfie front clear turn signals again.
Added some 194 LED's to the license plates, door lights, and side markers.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:24 PM
post Jul 3, 2017 - 6:56 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Two videos up! Check out my youtube channel here: Touazeng Vang

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:48 PM
post Jul 27, 2017 - 3:27 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Looks clean still! Always like that swap. Any new additions coming soon for it?
post Jul 28, 2017 - 1:00 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (ClevelandGaint @ Jul 27, 2017 - 3:27 PM) *
Looks clean still! Always like that swap. Any new additions coming soon for it?

I bought some rear spats from the K-turbo 6gc in MN, but I still have to repaint them. Going to get some front spats as well from funked. Nothing else power wise, unless I find myself a supercharger or 2gr... Then we in business. But winter is coming up and I got have a beater... So I might go get a rusty Celica take the beating for my summer daily.
post Aug 2, 2017 - 12:53 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

celi's looking great. you're really making it your own. we gotta meet up some day and take some pics together. smile.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Aug 30, 2017 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
snapshotgt

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 12, '05
From Texas
Currently Offline

Toua, I am glad to see the Celica went to such a good home! You've made great additions. I gotta say there is a special place in my heart for that car. Keep up the good work!!

--------------------
Past: V6 Swapped 6G Celica, E46 BMW M3, Jeep Wrangler TJ
Current: 850rwhp C6 Corvette Grandsport, Gen1 6.2L Ford Raptor
post Aug 30, 2017 - 8:18 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

Saw you on White Bear Ave turning on to 694W a couple months back. Very nice Celica as we don't seem these on the road as much anymore. The only thing that kind of looked out of place was the "V6" but it's not my car laugh.gif

This post has been edited by block: Aug 30, 2017 - 8:19 PM

--------------------
post Sep 5, 2017 - 9:39 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (cheela @ Aug 2, 2017 - 12:53 PM) *
celi's looking great. you're really making it your own. we gotta meet up some day and take some pics together. smile.gif

Ha ha thanks man, definitely one day we will! But wait, let me get some spats on first haha. Maybe next year spring?

QUOTE (snapshotgt @ Aug 30, 2017 - 6:40 PM) *
Toua, I am glad to see the Celica went to such a good home! You've made great additions. I gotta say there is a special place in my heart for that car. Keep up the good work!!

Ha ha thanks Colin! She will be continued to be treated the best I can provide. Maybe one day I'll bring it back down on a road trip! Who knows haha.

QUOTE (block @ Aug 30, 2017 - 8:18 PM) *
Saw you on White Bear Ave turning on to 694W a couple months back. Very nice Celica as we don't seem these on the road as much anymore. The only thing that kind of looked out of place was the "V6" but it's not my car laugh.gif

Ha ha yes, I barely see any other cleans ones on the streets of MN. He he I'm still debating if I want to take that sign off but we'll see. I always enjoy hearing people talk about that sign when they see my car.
post Sep 5, 2017 - 10:28 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Long time no update.

Come some new clear turn signals from Wolfie so I got those installed!

Also visited the junkyard the other day, found a ST Limited model and I took the emblem for the mirror cover.

On the car, photo isn't the best.

On the side note, the mission for a daily (winter at least, year-round preferable) driver begins before snow and salt hits. Plus my right cv axle is clicking so I need to find a new ST185 axle. I want OEM but man is it kinda expensive, so maybe used OEM? Not sure if I trust any aftermarket one's so I might end up forking the money for a OEM one.
Also still waiting to see if Funked can still get me them front st202 TRD spats. Then come next year both front and rear spats will be painted and on! Thinking about upgrading the brakes to the Avalon dual piston as well, just for kicks.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 15, 2018 - 7:52 PM
post Feb 19, 2018 - 9:16 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

It's been a while, and I finally took a big step in life. I've never done it before, and there's a lot of FIRSTS to ever occur; but I went out and financed my year-round daily.

Yep, 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series. Now some will tell me I'm 1) dumb to daily it in the winter, 2) crazy to daily it in the winter, 3) it's not a practical daily, 4) [insert complain], or 5) all the above; I'd agree but I also I could care less. I'm convinced that if I'm spending this much on a new car, it's gotta be something I enjoy and can have fun with. Not to shoot down my other choices though: V6 RAV4, Matrix XRS, 4Runner; but if I there was a time to get a Sporty Car as a daily, it's now when my body can still take the harsher beatings and I don't need to tow anything.

Will it stay stock? Na, it's already got a Nvidia exhaust (which is too loud btw, gotta quiet it down). I have some basic upgrades in mind for it: springs, front lip, audio, taillights, intake, and rims. But other than that I feel like it'll be fun enough as is. I don't want to go crazy until it's paid off.

But what about my 6gc? IT IS NO MORE, sold it off to some guy in ND... Just kidding, it's still in the garage needing a passenger half-shaft replacement. I haven't been willing to change it out during winter cause MN is too damn cold when you don't have a heater and when there's no room in a one car garage.

What's next? Winter tires, cause damn I do need them. Going to get some 205/50/17 Bridgestone Blizzaks for the FR-S in a couple days. As for the Celica it'll be replacing the axle first, then shopping for a new set of wheels that can sit flush w/o thick spacers (the 5zigens are going to go on the FR-S as the new summer wheels).

Now only if spring can hurry up and bring warm weather...
post Feb 19, 2018 - 10:38 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

For what it's worth I'd take a RWD car with LSD and winter/snow tires over a FWD car with an open diff and all seasons. So long as you have the proper tires and drive to the conditions you'll be ok.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 20, 2018 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Agreed, I've been taking it really slow atm since Discount Tire is out of stock on Blizzaks so I have to wait a couple days. The bad thing is it's supposed to snow all week except Wed. And it's my first car ever in RWD.
post Feb 20, 2018 - 12:31 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You can start off in second gear and that'll help in slippery conditions. That and when coming to a stop make sure to do a good job rev matching your downshifts or just coast down in whatever gear you're in until you're around idle speed then go to neutral before stopping. Biggest thing is being smooth with your inputs and not to upset the balance of the car, so also being gentle on releasing the clutch and getting the engine speed matched to the next gear helps. If it has all seasons on it you should be ok so long as there isn't any ice and it's not heavy snow.

Anyhow, I hear the BRZ/86/FR-S does really well with a tune to help with the torque dip and E85 helps even more. If I were getting a newer car through financing it'd probably be a certified used BRZ, great chassis and enough power to get by. That and it's plenty fine as a daily if you don't have kids.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 20, 2018 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Hope you're doing ok with the ice we got up here. Once you get the winter tires you'll be fine until then, DRIFFFTTOOOO!!! hahaha enjoy the car but don't forget about the celi. tongue.gif

--------------------

post Feb 20, 2018 - 6:58 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ Feb 20, 2018 - 12:31 AM) *
You can start off in second gear and that'll help in slippery conditions. That and when coming to a stop make sure to do a good job rev matching your downshifts or just coast down in whatever gear you're in until you're around idle speed then go to neutral before stopping. Biggest thing is being smooth with your inputs and not to upset the balance of the car, so also being gentle on releasing the clutch and getting the engine speed matched to the next gear helps. If it has all seasons on it you should be ok so long as there isn't any ice and it's not heavy snow.

Anyhow, I hear the BRZ/86/FR-S does really well with a tune to help with the torque dip and E85 helps even more. If I were getting a newer car through financing it'd probably be a certified used BRZ, great chassis and enough power to get by. That and it's plenty fine as a daily if you don't have kids.

Yeah, I've been doing 2nd gear. I will say one of the few things I don't like is how short the gear ratios are: 4th gear, 30 mph, 2,000 rpm! But it's still saving me good gas I guess compared to my 6gc. Trying to rev match is interesting in this car. The clutch is so light and the pedal is so far up I tend to "rev" when I shift. Not overwhelmingly though, I'll have to adjust the pedal when it gets warmer and get used to it some more.

I was originally looking for a BRZ limited; but this one is close enough (doesn't have the heated leather seats; but it does have the nice GT86 HID lights) considering it's additional upgrades (like the Head Unit, fog lights, exhaust). Other BRZ at the price I got it for more roughly x2-x3 the miles so I'd figured the mileage would make up for the price.

QUOTE (cheela @ Feb 20, 2018 - 9:52 AM) *
Hope you're doing ok with the ice we got up here. Once you get the winter tires you'll be fine until then, DRIFFFTTOOOO!!! hahaha enjoy the car but don't forget about the celi. tongue.gif

Monday was a nightmare; but fortunately I was able to get my Blizzaks early. I can say night and day on winter tires man. Ha ha I seriously was drifting all around the small streets and highway.
And yes, I'm still planning to spend most of my money on the Celica. Now that I have this car I can do much more w/ the Celica knowing I don't have to put it all back together to drive on the weekdays.
post Feb 20, 2018 - 8:20 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

Ah, the FRS was a car I never missed. It was love at first sight and the divorce happened just like that lol. The 2nd gen Rav4 V6 would've been my choice out of the bunch. Buddy has Blizzacks on his 86 and still managed $5k worth of front end bumper damage LOL. Be careful bud! Cant wait til spring!

--------------------
post Feb 20, 2018 - 9:52 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (block @ Feb 20, 2018 - 9:20 PM) *
Ah, the FRS was a car I never missed. It was love at first sight and the divorce happened just like that lol. The 2nd gen Rav4 V6 would've been my choice out of the bunch. Buddy has Blizzacks on his 86 and still managed $5k worth of front end bumper damage LOL. Be careful bud! Cant wait til spring!

Ha ha tbh the FRS wasn't my first choice. I did want the Rav4 v6 in particular that one day there would be an accident and I can salvage the 2gr to build into my 6gc. But then again I wouldn't want to have an accident either. Dang $5k! Whew yeah, that's what I'm afraid of; but anything can happen. Even in FWD cars or AWD. Indeed, come spring and tax season!
post Feb 21, 2018 - 12:55 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Un-studded snow tires still won't save you on ice like studded tires, regardless of the drive layout. For the longest time our ancestors only had RWD to traverse through the snow and most back then were open differential and tire technology doesn't hold a candle to what we have now, and they all managed for you to be here today. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 2, 2018 - 6:49 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

I will say... It is truly night and day when you have one of the best winter tires on.
We just had a snow day of about 9 inches of snow and on average 3 inches on the road.
The FR-S EASILY gripped the road on them, stopping was so much better than say my mother's 2002 Camry w/ all seasons.

But now that winter's nearly over they might just be burning up (averaging 30-40F degrees lately).
However, I've been looking for a new job and my friend is trying to hook me up all the way in Huntsville, AL.
So I might be moving down there. No longer MN's 1MZ if that happens LOL.
post Mar 2, 2018 - 7:42 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Huntsville is one of the larger cities in the state, probably best known for the rocket center there. You don't have emissions or inspections to worry about here, so there's that. It also rarely snows and when it does the state shuts down. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 2, 2018 - 8:40 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

get a COBB tuner and unlock the potential. it is very detuned from factory

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Mar 7, 2018 - 2:46 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 2, 2018 - 8:42 PM) *
Huntsville is one of the larger cities in the state, probably best known for the rocket center there. You don't have emissions or inspections to worry about here, so there's that. It also rarely snows and when it does the state shuts down. laugh.gif

That's good to know, MN is the same w/ no emissions or inspections. Ha ha I remember when I lived in AR they had the same thing. I just find it amazing giving that up here 10 inches of snow with -10F degrees and we still gotta go to work.

QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 2, 2018 - 9:40 PM) *
get a COBB tuner and unlock the potential. it is very detuned from factory

Yes I heard this about these guys, especially the "torque dip" that appears mid-range. I thought about doing something small like that just to help it out; but still putting most of the money to the celica.
post Mar 7, 2018 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's mostly due to the fact it usually turns into ice as soon as it hits the roads, that and we don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with it and I'd be surprised if 1% of the population here has winter tires. So the cost of shutting down the state for one day once in a blue moon is a lot less than the cost of maintaining infrastructure that may not see use but once every few years. I think the last time we had any notable snow was back in '93? when there was a freak blizzard.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 8, 2018 - 1:09 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 7, 2018 - 9:27 PM) *
It's mostly due to the fact it usually turns into ice as soon as it hits the roads, that and we don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with it and I'd be surprised if 1% of the population here has winter tires. So the cost of shutting down the state for one day once in a blue moon is a lot less than the cost of maintaining infrastructure that may not see use but once every few years. I think the last time we had any notable snow was back in '93? when there was a freak blizzard.

That's what I'd figured, but I mean if I moved there that would be just fine with me too. Lol go DRIFFTTOOOO in the FRS w/ some summer tires haha. We'll see though, I haven't gotten anything back from my bud about a job. Been getting more luck up here instead.
post Mar 24, 2018 - 5:22 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

FINALLY, it's warm enough (and I have enough will) to finally work on her. Got around to replacing the outer shaft of the passenger side. Was a lot easier than I thought.
Don't judge me; but you can see my old "band aid" for the axle before I found a car for winter. If I knew it was this easy I would've done it waayyyyyyyyy earlier; but I was also lazy.

Took the car for a spin, it feels much better! But I definitely gotta get used to all the noise and feel of the car again. It feels so different compared to the FR-S.
Seats don't hold as tight as the FR-S, feel like I'm sitting a lot higher, even though both cars sit pretty low.
BUTTTTT, man do I MISS the V6 torque he he. extra 50 lbs do make a difference, especially with the FR-S torque dip.

But I still need to replace the clutch master cylinder; forgot that the pedal kept sinking before I stored it for winter.

Next step is to get a new set of wheels, that way I can throw my 5zigens on the FR-S.
Been looking and it's difficult to find a wheel w/ the specs I want unless I wanna spend BIG.
post Mar 24, 2018 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Torque is life.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 15, 2018 - 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Well... That was awfully quick of me to suddenly just get a new set of wheels; I've been pondering about this for a while. But then tonight... Suddenly POOF! There goes $1500. Guess you'll have to wait until they arrive (or when this damn blizzard in the MIDDLE OF APRIL goes away).
post Apr 15, 2018 - 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Hopefully yours arrive faster than mine. I wish a blizzard was the only delay for me!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 17, 2018 - 9:22 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

you're gonna need a photoshoot soon. smile.gif

--------------------

post Apr 17, 2018 - 9:57 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 15, 2018 - 11:33 PM) *
Hopefully yours arrive faster than mine. I wish a blizzard was the only delay for me!

Ha ha it was a pretty bad blizzard though; but that was before I ordered lol. Still gonna have to wait like 3 months before the snow actually disappears from MN.

QUOTE (cheela @ Apr 17, 2018 - 10:22 PM) *
you're gonna need a photoshoot soon. smile.gif

He he I'll wait until yours is ready too, we can do it together! Lol
post Apr 17, 2018 - 10:02 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

definitely! I'm about to drop $1500+ for my swap parts too.

--------------------

post Apr 22, 2018 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (cheela @ Apr 17, 2018 - 11:02 PM) *
definitely! I'm about to drop $1500+ for my swap parts too.

Dang.... But it's gonna be a beast when it's done. Cannot wait to see it!

I'm still debating what I want to do next with the car. Maybe continue going for looks until I give up and strip the car for track.

Mmmmm... trd front spats, treacle fenders, ss-4 conversion, bodywork and repaint... SO MUCH MONEYYYYYYYY
post Apr 23, 2018 - 7:58 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

hopefully before summer ends but it's a slow moving swap right now.

I mean that's all that's left to do for yours. You got performance and suspension upgrades already so not much left to do besides make it look good. lol

--------------------

post Apr 25, 2018 - 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Ahh well when you do let us know, ha ha fall is still a very nice time to do nice pictures.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, maybe if anything some coilo-overs (or BAG IT) and refreshing some old stuff.
Cosmetic and body work take up a lot. Who knows, maybe I'll be like TonytheTiger and build a 800hp 1mz LOL.
post Apr 26, 2018 - 8:00 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

you should get the MN gang together and head down to the midwest meet. who's got their cars running anyways?

--------------------

post Apr 27, 2018 - 7:21 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Lol I don't even know if my car will be ready by then! I'll try but I haven't meet all the 6gc folks here, let alone know more than like 4 guys lolol.
Lauv and his K24 probably won't be running until fall. Tao and his buddies red 3s' always be fishing or hunting during the weekend.
I can probably get Joe and his white 5s, but idk if he fixed it yet. Then there's the random people I don't know about. But I'll try lol, if the date is still May 19th hahahaha
post Apr 29, 2018 - 10:41 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

Met Tao today. Doesn't sound like he's going to be out and about anytime soon. He's getting ready for fishing season lol.

--------------------
post Apr 30, 2018 - 10:02 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (block @ Apr 29, 2018 - 10:41 PM) *
Met Tao today. Doesn't sound like he's going to be out and about anytime soon. He's getting ready for fishing season lol.

LOL figured as much. but it's fishing season all year round for guys like him. haha

--------------------

post Apr 30, 2018 - 9:03 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Yep, lol that's why it's so hard to meet up w/ him. Even during the weekdays it's super-last minute to the meets.
Hmmm I'll post up on the local Toyota forums, see if I can find other 6gc guys to bring down (if I even come to the meet lol).
post May 1, 2018 - 9:17 AM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Apr 30, 2018 - 9:03 PM) *
Yep, lol that's why it's so hard to meet up w/ him. Even during the weekdays it's super-last minute to the meets.
Hmmm I'll post up on the local Toyota forums, see if I can find other 6gc guys to bring down (if I even come to the meet lol).

you bETTER...!!
post May 2, 2018 - 11:12 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (CoolZeen @ May 1, 2018 - 10:17 AM) *
you bETTER...!!

Alright sent out to my local Toyota FB groups, we'll see if anyone's interested and able.

As for update if you haven't seen it on FB then there's not a lot... Just a master clutch cylinder replacement before I went out to a big meet opener...

And changing wheels...

TWICE!!! I finally got my new wheels in, Gram Lights 57CR in 17x9 +38mm.

Had them for a bit, wasn't sure which tires to get. But I ended up getting the new Dunlop Direzza Z3.
Here's all the wheels and tires fitted into my celica as I take it to a shop to mount them.

I got the front fitted, does poke out a very little bit; rubs over bigger bumps. Interestingly enough my driver side pokes up probably 1-2mm more than my passenger.
Might be the axles, or just the fenders lol. Anyhow though my rear DO NOT FIT ... With the 20mm spacers that is. So I'm planning to cut my studs to fit them.

Pictures will be up sometime soon, as I still have a few more things coming and maybe... Just maybe... Coilovers as well.
post May 3, 2018 - 12:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Get some open ended lug nuts that fits your studs and have them below where you're cutting, so then after cutting you take the lug nut off and it cleans up and straightens out the threads for you.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 3, 2018 - 9:34 AM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

17x9 +38 and it still pokes out. Makes me nervous to put mines on then 🤔 17x9 +32 🤔

--------------------
post May 3, 2018 - 4:53 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ May 3, 2018 - 1:34 AM) *
Get some open ended lug nuts that fits your studs and have them below where you're cutting, so then after cutting you take the lug nut off and it cleans up and straightens out the threads for you.

Yes sir, that's exactly what I did. I'm leaving the original studs one thread past the spacer length, hopefully it still doesn't interfere. Went out to buy a grinder and man... I have not used one of these in forever. Slow but sure.

QUOTE (block @ May 3, 2018 - 10:34 AM) *
17x9 +38 and it still pokes out. Makes me nervous to put mines on then 🤔 17x9 +32 🤔

Haha iirc Mike Thoma has a even deeper setup. 17x9 with 255 but I think he's like +17 front and +23 rear. Might be wrong though...
post May 7, 2018 - 5:56 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

Test fitted my wheels. Rears are close to flush, fronts might need a notch of - camber. Getting my tires this weekend so we will know more.

--------------------
post May 7, 2018 - 11:14 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (block @ May 7, 2018 - 5:56 PM) *
Test fitted my wheels. Rears are close to flush, fronts might need a notch of - camber. Getting my tires this weekend so we will know more.

Nice bro, hopefully they fit. My front definitely rub right now so I need to camber it in more as well. Back fit but not flush, getting some spacers soon too to deal with that.

Ahh more parts to buy, more money to spend... I'm totally going overboard right now but oh well, my bank account can handle it. Hopefully if things all come together I might just make it out to the spring meet in time lol.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: May 7, 2018 - 11:49 PM
post May 8, 2018 - 8:31 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Finally got a heat gun, and borrowed my cousins fender roller equipment. HOPEFULLY it helps my rubbing problem w/ the new wheel setup.

Trying to roll up the front, or at least what I can get of it. Passenger side done so far, stopped caused I cracked the paint and was pissed at myself.
Also finally removed the v6 emblem from my trunk; but you can still see some of the adhesive residue. I'll wash that out later.

15mm spacers have been order and waiting for those to come in.
post May 8, 2018 - 9:14 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

WD-40 or the like and some heat helps with getting leftover adhesive off, then wash clean and touch up with some wax afterwards.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 9, 2018 - 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

fronts poke with a +38 offset? Demmit... I'm looking at the same wheels for mine, too. You have pics of the front poking?

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post May 26, 2018 - 6:59 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ May 9, 2018 - 10:08 PM) *
fronts poke with a +38 offset? Demmit... I'm looking at the same wheels for mine, too. You have pics of the front poking?

Sorry bro I lied, at least it sees like it so far. After letting the wheel set it seems to be tucked in a bit.
But my driver side still does poke out more due to the hybrid axle; but I'm waiting on my coilovers before saying if it rubs or not.
post Jun 6, 2018 - 8:04 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

BUMP!

NEED UPDATED PICS ASAP!! LOL

--------------------

post Jun 8, 2018 - 2:06 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (cheela @ Jun 6, 2018 - 8:04 AM) *
BUMP!

NEED UPDATED PICS ASAP!! LOL

Sorry bro, gonna have to wait. Celica is on DD duty due to the FRS breaking down. I'll post pictures when I get the right fitment.

Been battling with the FRS this whole week, long story short the shift select lever pin broke so had to drop the transmission just to get to it.
Any recommendations on removing the broken pin is appreciated!

As for the Celica I got some BC (BR Series) coilovers. Wasn't the original idea but I was rubbing on the struts (i think) w/ the new wheels.
Here are the rear compared to my old setup (forgot to take pictures of the front; but it was a big difference in width).

Also got some H&R spacers (15mm) for the rear. Was going to take the hubs to a shop but w/ the right tools ended up doing it myself!

Got the rear running top camber bolts, maxed out at -1.75 (if that's the correct max, went of eibach camber bolt specs cause they look like them).

For the front I'm running close to 0 degrees camber; but all these numbers are guesses until I go in for an alignment.
Car was almost done and ready for alignment (no more rubbing or ugly gap); but the FRS broke so I had to raise the car up to DD and handle the nasty MN roads.
Once the FRS is done I'll lower it again and get some nice photos to show. Plus I'm also waiting on my wheel caps, they've been on a 4-week back order.
post Jun 8, 2018 - 7:53 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

****... that sucks. new car breaking down before the old car. .lol.
They don't make'm like they used to.

--------------------

post Jun 11, 2018 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

I know right? Whelps hopefully I can get it fixed soon. Since I drained the FRS tranny I now need new fluid.
Planning on getting some Redline MT90. Since shifting in the Celica has been a bit stiff Imma do a tranny flush too for it.
post Jun 23, 2018 - 9:12 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

So I did a thing in the meantime b/c I wanted to see what it's like...

Why buy a lip when you can make one?

I'm probably going to run it until it rather falls off (most likely) or when I get an actual pre-face lip.
On the other hand I went to the junkyard and found these:

Got them off an Avalon; going to clean them and try them before I go further and powder coat.
post Jul 26, 2018 - 4:48 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

This is what happens when you shift like a gorilla. tongue.gif You should be able to use a punch to get the broken pin out.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 26, 2018 - 12:13 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 26, 2018 - 4:48 AM) *
This is what happens when you shift like a gorilla. tongue.gif You should be able to use a punch to get the broken pin out.

Ha ha I will admit I have done a bit of spirited driving with it, especially in the snow. I'm suspecting it broke before though, but the previous owner welded it in.
I ended up drilling it, which was easier than I expected; but overall probably $100 in parts for replacing a lot of things. But I'm glad I got it up and running again.

I finally got around to lowering the Celica the way I wanted. Coilovers are finally set in, garage-seal lip is holding; just frustrated that my center caps have been on back order since june.
But I got the car ready in time for a family meet.

Bonus image: my nephew's ST185 RC that he recently imported over.

Not sure what's next. More body work? Engine upgrade? We shall see... Probably should track it one of these days.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Jul 26, 2018 - 12:13 PM
post Jul 26, 2018 - 12:21 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Looking good! I miss driving mine. it's stuck in the garage behind 2 engines. hahaha.
That RC looks awesome!!

as for next mods, I say turbo or supercharge. biggrin.gif!!!!

--------------------

post Jul 26, 2018 - 12:27 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I keep wanting to order center caps for my Volks but I don’t want to wait as long for the caps as I did for the wheels, and they really put some “just because we can” prices on them.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 26, 2018 - 12:27 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Still probably a top 5 car for me on here. Like it came from the factory that way. Keep on keeping it classy. Beautiful.

--------------------
post Jul 26, 2018 - 12:55 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (cheela @ Jul 26, 2018 - 12:21 PM) *
Looking good! I miss driving mine. it's stuck in the garage behind 2 engines. hahaha.
That RC looks awesome!!

as for next mods, I say turbo or supercharge. biggrin.gif!!!!

I was thinking that too; I recently joined the 1mz group on facebook and man the number of trd superchargers... But reading tonythetigers "words of wisdom" on the solaraguy forum, I may end up trying for turbo if I can.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 26, 2018 - 12:27 PM) *
I keep wanting to order center caps for my Volks but I don’t want to wait as long for the caps as I did for the wheels, and they really put some “just because we can” prices on them.

Seriously! My blue one's came in (I ordered a pair of blue and a pair of red) fine; but holy crap the wait time from ft86 factory. We'll see if they "come in August." If I have to wait another month Imma ask for a refund and order elsewhere.

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Jul 26, 2018 - 12:27 PM) *
Still probably a top 5 car for me on here. Like it came from the factory that way. Keep on keeping it classy. Beautiful.

Thanks man!
post Jul 26, 2018 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

astonishing!!!

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Jul 26, 2018 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Makes me feel like getting another 6th gen for some reason.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 26, 2018 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

KEEP POSTING MAN!! DID YOU SEE WHAT YOU JUST DID TO BOX??!!

--------------------

post Jul 26, 2018 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 26, 2018 - 12:27 PM) *

do it, you b1tch.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jul 26, 2018 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Jul 26, 2018 - 10:47 PM) *

Ha, the sixth gen will always have a special place in my heart. They're very nice looking and great cars, my only issue is the whole drive-train layout as I have no need for FWD here in the south where it hardly ever snows and if it does the whole state shuts down anyway. I am really trying to push my soon to be 16 year old brother into getting a sixth gen though. Though he has no real interest in cars and doesn't want to learn stick, but I think the sixth gen could sway him perhaps. It's the perfect first car in my opinion given how well rounded the Celica is as a car.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 27, 2018 - 12:52 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

QUOTE (cheela @ Jul 26, 2018 - 11:47 PM) *

Oh man, scrambling for the B-class photos!!!

I'm running out of images... Quick move up the next Mid-West meet! Lol

Box I hope your brother would consider it. It's not terribly expensive either for insurance.
Might not have the power if it's a 5S but boy will that last you forever!

But there has definitely been a decline in automotive interest from the newer generation, especially w/ the whole electric and auto-pilot stuff.
post Jul 27, 2018 - 1:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

His biggest concerns with the car is reliability and efficiency, looks and everything else being not much of a concern. The Celica is reliable and efficient, and in the price range he's working with I can't think of a better option that's as well rounded. The 5S and 7A is sufficient for a new driver, enough to get around and not get into trouble. I'm doing my best to try and push him towards one as I really do think it's the best car for him given the circumstances and criteria.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 28, 2018 - 12:03 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

It definitely is reliable and efficient. I think the only concern I would have in the general sense of cars nearly half a century old is that... It's old, lol.
Parts are most likely worn out compared to newer cars. Still, parts are cheap for them and much easier to fix. I think if anything... Toyota lol.

But Box... And Cheela will agree w/ me. I know if YOU get another Celica I know it'll definitely boost your brother's motivation and trust in the Celica!!!

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Jul 28, 2018 - 12:12 PM
post Jul 29, 2018 - 4:40 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The other option being the tC and also why the seventh gen was included, being they are newer. Old cars can be reliable if well maintained and the mileage is on the lower side. Ideally find one under 150K miles on it. I've thought about trying to import a ST205 once they're legal, but I hate to know how much that'll cost depending on how much demand there is for them.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 2, 2018 - 9:13 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Oh those aren't bad either! I'd personally go w/ the 7th gen if it's between that and the TC. I feel like at least in the 7GC the interior quality feels much better than the TC.
Yeah I don't even wanna know lol, they're probably still looking around the 15k-20k range.
post Aug 2, 2018 - 11:02 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

7th gen better than the tC on interior, I dunno would have to see the tC but the 7th gen was a huge step down from the 6th gen personally. Should be able to find a nice enough 6th gen around here that's in his budget, hell I've even seen pretty decent 5th gens but ideally looking for as new a 6th gen as possible.

That's ok a Suzuki Cappuccino is at the top of my import list anyway. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 3, 2018 - 7:13 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

The 1st gen tC interior is lacking and is very moot. At least to me anyways. 7th gen is slightly better, but other than that, meeeeehhhhhh to both of their interiors.

Cappuccino and AZ-1 are on my list. If I could get the 2015-ish Honda S600, I'd be happy with that, too.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Aug 3, 2018 - 5:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's like a modern Beat, yo!

#ThreadDerailled

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 6, 2018 - 8:38 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Aug 3, 2018 - 5:44 PM) *

#ThreadDerailled

laugh.gif
when has ANY 6gc thread been on track?

--------------------

post Aug 7, 2018 - 1:04 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmmm, the ones by newbies asking for help tend to stay on topic. So there's that.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 7, 2018 - 7:09 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Aug 6, 2018 - 8:38 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Aug 3, 2018 - 5:44 PM) *

#ThreadDerailled

laugh.gif
when has ANY 6gc thread been on track?

#SuperEuroBeatsIntensifies

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Aug 9, 2018 - 9:33 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Lol getting it back on track.

Need to do some rear brake pads since they're so old, any recommendations?
Mind as well fix up the Avalon calipers while I'm at it for the front.
Oh and I forgot, an alignment too. but I'm debating if I want to camber the front or not w/ a 5mm spacer or something...

Car needs buffing as well, scratches appearing again. I told myself I'd ceramic coat it once I paint it again but... That's not for a while.
Still gotta paint my rear spats and fix up the roof wing too while I'm at it. TOO MUCH TO DO, TOO LITTLE MONEY.
post Aug 9, 2018 - 9:45 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Aug 9, 2018 - 9:33 PM) *
TOO MUCH TO DO, TOO LITTLE MONEY.

That's why my Celica is just sitting lol. Well not the money issue but just no time.

--------------------
post Aug 10, 2018 - 1:22 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you're not doing anything crazy some daily driver quality Raybestos, Centric, or Akebono pads will be more than sufficient.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 10, 2018 - 9:06 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Yup, I liked the Akebono pads when I had them on mine. Very good for DD. but one of my calipers froze up and ate the entire pad so I ended up switching out to EBC Greens.

--------------------

post Oct 15, 2018 - 8:04 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Online

Alright last update for the car (probably for the year or something, idk I'm broke now lol).

Replaced my rear pads with some akebono pads, so no more noise. Almost decided to but some slotted rotors for all 4 but I'll wait.

My Red Volks Caps FINALLY came in AFTER 3 MONTHS!!! Took way more time than my wheels too, smh...
I got them installed on the driver side and installed the blue ones on the passenger side.

Went to one last (Toyota) meet before cold season so I got the car ready.
Didn't take any pics myself but my buddy got at least two pictures in.

Nothing else for now. Going to buy a tent to cover the car or some sort since my brother needs the garage to fix his Celica.

This post has been edited by TimeslideZ: Oct 17, 2018 - 12:13 AM

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 16th, 2024 - 1:47 PM