> I'm Not Getting Fuel
post Feb 22, 2005 - 7:25 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

So we cut a lot of wires to take off my dash on my purple Celi. I just hardwired up ignition power and a starter switch, and the car will crank, but it won't start.

I pulled a plug and I'm not smelling fuel when I crank the engine.

I'm wondering where the fuel pump relay is located. Also, is the fuel pump always on when the ignition is switched to on?

--------------------
New Toyota project coming soon...
post Feb 22, 2005 - 7:49 PM
+Quote Post
Kwanza26

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '03
From Nor Cal
Currently Offline

The fuel pump usually only has 2 main wires. Ground and power. I believe the Celicas fuel pump power wire is blue with a black stripe and runs from the pump to the ignition fuses. It's all tied up in there somewhere, between the fuse box, the juctions between the dash and body harnesses, and the EFI relays. Normally speaking with Toyotas... the fuel pump does turn on with the key in the on position, but I believe they only pump if the vapor pressure is low (there is a sensor on newer cars). If you're gonna try to just power it... look for the blue wire with a black stripe. It'll come from the actual pump and probably end up with the connectors of the body harness, where it juctions with the dash harness. The ground should still be good, assuming that wasn't touched. If you do bypass and power up the pump... put it on a switch or run it to a fuse that only turns on with the key... ;]

This post has been edited by Kwanza26: Feb 22, 2005 - 7:52 PM

--------------------
"It's ok to be naked girl... I'm an artist!"

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...
post Feb 22, 2005 - 9:51 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I found the blue wire with a black stripe. It is indeed cut and so I'll wire that to my custom ignition switch so it turns on with the ignition. The ground(white with a black stripe) is still in good shape by the way.

There are three other wires though. A 14 or 16 gauge brown wire, and a yellow/red and yellow/blue wire, both of which are like 20 gauge. Do you know what these do and if they're necessary? Are they for the fuel gauge?

--------------------
post Feb 22, 2005 - 10:48 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I just went out and hooked up the blue/black wire to my ignition switch, and I could hear the pump turn on, but the car still just sits and cranks and doesn't start.

--------------------
post Feb 23, 2005 - 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
Kwanza26

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '03
From Nor Cal
Currently Offline

I'll have to get back to you on those wires... not sure what they are. As for the starting problem... the next thing I'd check for is spark. When the car cranks... does the tach move at all? Usually if the tach pulses when the car cranks... that means there is spark. If not... do a spark test under the hood. Typically speaking, so long as you have spark and fuel, and the engine cranks... it should fire and at the very least, try to run...

--------------------
"It's ok to be naked girl... I'm an artist!"

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...
post Feb 24, 2005 - 4:14 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I'll test for spark tonight. Just to be sure Kwanza, could I pull a plug and place the side of it against the head and see if it fires? Is that a good way to test for spark?

--------------------
post Feb 24, 2005 - 4:16 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Generally thats the way, I wouldnt hold it just make sure its grounded on the block.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 7th, 2024 - 2:20 AM