6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Relocating battery to hatch.., wiring?
post Sep 27, 2005 - 8:27 PM
+Quote Post
mark_426

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '05
From Greencastle, PA
Currently Offline

Hey guys

those of you who have relocated the battery to the hatch - how did you do it?

Did you run two leads back to the hatch, basically extending the old leads? Or did you just ground it in the back somewhere?

What gauge wire did you use?

Any suggestions on where/how to hide wires, or run them through the firewall?

thanks

--------------------
If anyone needs interior stuff, etc, I'm parting whats left of my celi out. Just ask.
post Sep 27, 2005 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
95ST

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 1, '03
From CT
Currently Offline

deffinatly ground it in the trunk, make sure you have a good ground.

Ive seen it done with 4 gauge wire without any problems, but I would consider possibly bigger but I like overkill.
post Sep 27, 2005 - 11:00 PM
+Quote Post
Dr_Tweak

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 31, '04
From Summerville, SC
Currently Offline

Yeah what he said, ground it good in the trunk, and use a VERY heavy guage wire for the positive because it's a long way to travel and you want as little resistance as possible.

-Doc

--------------------
-Dr Tweak, 6GC's resident engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire
Click here to see my swaps
drtweak@phoenixtuning.com

post Sep 28, 2005 - 5:21 AM
+Quote Post
mark_426

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '05
From Greencastle, PA
Currently Offline

When you say VERY heavy, and overkill, are you thinking, like 2, 1, 1/0, etc?

any suggestions of where to hide these wires?

thanks

--------------------
If anyone needs interior stuff, etc, I'm parting whats left of my celi out. Just ask.
post Sep 28, 2005 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
Clipsetuner

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 12, '03
From Portland , Oregon , United States
Currently Offline

0g-4g should be fine I have seen it done all the time with 4g.

I have 4g ran underneath my carpet for my system and soon enough my battery relocate and I have no bludges of any sort, 0g might tho.

In the engine bay you can just Distro block your positives together or just hook them all to the starter.

As far as running it through the firewall I would buy a sealing lock nut grommet like such Grommet.

Make sure you have good grounds between your engine bay and chasis, and you should be set.

DTE

This post has been edited by Clipsetuner: Sep 28, 2005 - 11:36 AM

--------------------
I am a thief.
do not buy anything from me.
post Sep 28, 2005 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
Hanyo

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 16, '03
From Bay area
Currently Offline

i remember someone using jumper cables as a cheap alternative to buying wires.

If i where to ever do this. I would run jumper cables under the car and zip ties the wires along the underside of the frame.
post Sep 28, 2005 - 9:54 PM
+Quote Post
Coomer

Administrator
Joined Aug 23, '02
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

I've had my battery relocated for a long time and I used four gauge wire and everything works fine.

--------------------
New Toyota project coming soon...
post Sep 28, 2005 - 11:25 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

When Manny and I relocated his battery I think they were 4 gauge wires. He had used this to secure the battery to the trunk
user posted image

He had run the pos and neg to the front of the car and I had also grounded the battery to a secure location behind the back seat bracket (the U bracket in the pic)
user posted image
also there is an inline fuse block comming off the battery for safety (between the blue wires).

I ran the wires behind of the hatch plastics, the driver's side rear speaker plastics (pictured before I hid/snaked them better),
user posted image

and under the door sill/carpet to behind the fuse box and through the firewall to the bay.

you can see the "power" box I hooked them to here, top of the pic with the blue and silver wires going to it.
user posted image

the stock + battery terminal was fitted to the box and the - was grounded to the same spot it was before with new clean 4 gauge wire.

vroom vroom, no probs

--------------------
post Sep 28, 2005 - 11:39 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

I added to the sticky for a knowledge base

--------------------
post Nov 24, 2009 - 9:04 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

i was recently in a toyota basic electronic class at college and the professor who has been working for toyota for over 20 years, had said that small amounts of fumes evaporate from the battery. is that true??

what is the lightest car battery out there??

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Nov 24, 2009 - 9:04 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 24, 2009 - 9:15 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

^^ I believe small amounts of fumes do evaporate from the battery, but you still open your doors and hatch, don't you? That should vent the cabin well enough, considering how miniscule the fumes are.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 25, 2009 - 4:56 PM
+Quote Post
JustinCapps

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '09
From Hilo Hawaii
Currently Offline

how would you connect the wire from under the hood to the 4g wire running to the back?
just solder them together?
post Nov 25, 2009 - 6:02 PM
+Quote Post
hurley97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '04
From Portsmouth, RI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 24, 2009 - 9:04 PM) *
i was recently in a toyota basic electronic class at college and the professor who has been working for toyota for over 20 years, had said that small amounts of fumes evaporate from the battery. is that true??

That's why you use a sealed battery like an Optima.

--------------------
7A-FTE: It's not about the money. Our Beams Swap.

I <3 Dustin---07/16/06
post Nov 28, 2009 - 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

well optima doesnt make lightweight batteries, right?........

hmm well how about braille battery usa. they make a battery that weighs in at 6.6 pounds and a carbon fiber batteries as well. dont see the point in carbon fiber batteries confused.gif

looks like the 6.6 lb battery can only withstand 60-120 degree weather. But if you move to the 9.5 pound battery i guess it can withstand weather from 32-120 degrees???? anybody know the answer.

so from stock battery that weighs 35 to the leightweight battery that weighs 9.5 pounds you have a 25 pound weight reduction. thats pretty darn good biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Nov 28, 2009 - 12:59 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 28, 2009 - 1:05 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 28, 2009 - 12:20 AM) *
well optima doesnt make lightweight batteries, right?........

hmm well how about braille battery usa. they make a battery that weighs in at 6.6 pounds and a carbon fiber batteries as well. dont see the point in carbon fiber batteries confused.gif

looks like the 6.6 lb battery can only withstand 60-120 degree weather. But if you move to the 9.5 pound battery i guess it can withstand weather from 32-120 degrees???? anybody know the answer.

so from stock battery that weighs 35 to the leightweight battery that weighs 9.5 pounds you have a 25 pound weight reduction. thats pretty darn good biggrin.gif

Go look on the Evo forums. Those guys are obsessed with mini batteries.
Personally I don't think you will notice much of a difference, and it will put a bigger strain on your electrical system to always have to recharge that tiny battery. Not to mention those batteries cost close to 200$.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Nov 28, 2009 - 2:12 AM
+Quote Post
Hanyo

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 16, '03
From Bay area
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 24, 2009 - 6:04 PM) *

All batteries emit fumes, gel cells batteries like optimas emit less or have a chamber to capture fumes. This also the reason why on any battery that mounted inside the living space has a self contained ventilation system that vents outside the car. The smallest battery that i know which can be safely mounted inside the cabin would be the mazda miata battery. part number: U1RT; with 370 cold cranking amps rating. To put that into perspective the average toyota 35 series battery has around 550CCA and the tiny honda civic battery has around 470. This gives you an idea how much your sacrificing to save weight.

You may ask, Why do i need so much Cold Cranking Amps or power?

Well the more cranking amps your car has the easier it is to start, the more forgiving the car will be to to electrical leaks (leaving your headlights on), and the more stable the power from the alternator will be. As batteries age they produce have less power. So a small battery might be able to start your car when it was new, but as it ages it will slowly produce less and less power and you will notice a dragging starter. The temperature also affects the power of the battery.
Majority of batteries fail are during cold starts, where the age and the cold temperatures pushing batteries past the threshold leaving there owners stranded. The average life of a battery is around 3-4 years. But if you take good care of your battery I had one last up to 7 years before it would go out. This is assuming you are using the properly size battery; A smaller and less powerfull battery will expire sooner because it has to take a deeper discharges everytime you start your car.

post Nov 28, 2009 - 2:53 AM
+Quote Post
dabazied

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 10, '07
From Riverside, CA
Currently Offline

I'll look to see what battery I have, I got a cheapo, but it's a little lighter than the stock and it's about 3/4 of the size, same amount of CCA as well. I'll get back to you on it. Got it from Advanced or Autozone.

--------------------

She's Alive...... Again!!!
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 17, 2009 - 5:53 AM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 16, 2009 - 8:53 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 16, 2009 - 11:51 PM) *
Sweet Jesus.

You rang?

Sorry, wrong number. :laugh:
post Nov 28, 2009 - 1:30 PM
+Quote Post
JustinCapps

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '09
From Hilo Hawaii
Currently Offline

nobody answered my question?
what is the best way to connect the 4g wire to the wire that is alrighty there for the positive
post Nov 28, 2009 - 2:29 PM
+Quote Post
dabazied

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 10, '07
From Riverside, CA
Currently Offline

Best way and safest way to hook it up is to get one of those junction boxes that have fuses in it. That way it is bolted down to one section of the engine bay and not dangling, and also you have fuses and stuff for protection. You can usually find them with extra ports too to wire up some other stuff.

--------------------

She's Alive...... Again!!!
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 17, 2009 - 5:53 AM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 16, 2009 - 8:53 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 16, 2009 - 11:51 PM) *
Sweet Jesus.

You rang?

Sorry, wrong number. :laugh:
post Nov 29, 2009 - 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
JustinCapps

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '09
From Hilo Hawaii
Currently Offline

sweet! i didnt think of that, but that would work perfect

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 26th, 2024 - 9:38 PM