Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 95 GT Auto tranny problem
post Nov 12, 2010 - 11:31 PM
+Quote Post
Arsaces

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '10
Currently Offline

I just got home from a drive outside and was trying to figure out what could possibly cause my car to shift the way it did:

It is cold outside, car has 140k on it, I am not original owner and therefore know nothing about the transmission's maintenance history.

After driving 5 minutes or so, I floor the gas off of a red light, the car gets to about 5800, makes a very feint "pop" and then shifts, continues to 5800 again, shutters, acts like it is going to shift but does not shift. So now I am still presumably in 2nd gear, rpms are slowly lowering themselves, but I am still above 5k rpm. I was flooring the gas but the rpms were not going up, they were slowly going down. I am very unsure of what is going on with the shifting issues there.

When the above happened I let my foot off the gas for a second then pushed back on and it shifted itself, I stopped for another red light and when it hit green I drove normally and everything shifted and acted fine. I figure that if the 3rd gear has a problem it would show itself under both driving conditions not just at high rpm. I have only had the car for 1k miles and so I am working on replacing things bit by bit.

Any help is much appreciated.
post Nov 14, 2010 - 3:43 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

sounds like the auto trany is gving out. solenoids? maybe. replace

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 14, 2010 - 4:16 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

I would jumper it and check for codes....but year, sounds kinda like shift solenoids. But the first thing I did when I got mine was do a total drain and change...even though I knew for a fact the Celica was cared for, I wanted to make sure.
post Nov 15, 2010 - 1:41 AM
+Quote Post
Arsaces

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '10
Currently Offline

What do you mean by jumper it? And if there is no check engine light could there still be codes? Also to update this thread I drove the car the next day and did the same thing, I waited about 10 minutes to do it instead of 5, and it shifted fine. I really hope the tranny is not going bad, I just bought the car and it would suck to have to sink more money into it than I already have, Also do you think I should go ahead and replace the tranny fluid and seals/filter, I have no idea how long it has been since that has been done since I have only had the car for 1k miles.
post Nov 15, 2010 - 6:00 AM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

Nah, it'll flash on the OD signal, not the CEL light.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 9th, 2024 - 7:07 AM