6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering wheel swap guide, this is not common "how-to" but just small guide...
post Apr 2, 2009 - 6:34 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

take the momo steering of, and show us a picture. you can still put the steering, the airbag wont be functional.

you need to get the plug otherwise you cant use it.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 7, 2009 - 6:25 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

quick question, is there any special process when disconnecting the airbag? i know some cars you have to disconnect the battery and let set for like a half hour before you disconnect it, then there are some that you can disconnect no problem. just got an NRG wheel that i'll be installing in the next week or two and don't want an airbag in the face when i go to do the install.
post Apr 7, 2009 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

do the safest, disconnect the battery.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 7, 2009 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

will do. i get spoiled with the mercedes airbags where i can just unplug them and not worry about it.
post Apr 14, 2009 - 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
deliriouzgtfour

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '03
From So Cal,CA
Currently Offline

any other precautions before starting...? like discharging the battery from the terminal and taking a fuse out so that the airbag will not deploy? Any other precautions, please let us know. Thanks

I'd hate for something to go wrong.

Otherwise nice DYI post
post Apr 14, 2009 - 2:13 AM
+Quote Post
malpaso

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 3, '06
From Czech Republic (Europe)
Currently Offline

QUOTE (deliriouzgtfour @ Apr 14, 2009 - 7:41 AM) *
any other precautions before starting...? like discharging the battery from the terminal and taking a fuse out so that the airbag will not deploy? Any other precautions, please let us know. Thanks

I'd hate for something to go wrong.

Otherwise nice DYI post

What I did is only disconnecting battery. Nothing else. No fuses, no nothing else.

--------------------
No more replicas... This is evolution... This is SS-four :)

________[Featured Celica of 6gc.net @ 2010]_________
post Apr 14, 2009 - 4:17 PM
+Quote Post
deliriouzgtfour

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '03
From So Cal,CA
Currently Offline

fixed my horn. On the other hand, wire was torn inside for the horn. Thanks malpaso. Anyone willing to do the 7th gen wheel swap for me? Ill pay someone..haha
post Apr 22, 2009 - 1:18 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

took the airbag off this morning to speed up the process of changing out the wheel possibly tonight. just waiting on the hub from sparco that is supposed to be coming in today. can't wait to get the new wheel and quick release on for this weekend's rallyx.
post Apr 22, 2009 - 1:56 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

as long as the 7th gen wheel you get comes with the airbag components, you can wire it up with your stock gt-s airbag harness as mentioned in the how-to.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Apr 22, 2009 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

oh, i'm not putting in a toyota wheel, i'm putting in a NRG wheel with quick release. i will not have an airbag, don't want an airbag to the face while taking the car off sweet jumps in a rally.
post Apr 22, 2009 - 9:56 PM
+Quote Post
reko

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '07
From Montreal, QC, Canada
Currently Offline

Hey I'm having a hard time trying to put the steering back...

You know where there is the bolt that holds the steering like here in the middle...

well i dont really know how to explain it but the thing on which you put the bolt it kinda shape in a star patern and so is the steering but i cant align those two properly so the steering wont go as far as it's suppose too... thus i can easily remove it...

any tips anyone?

--------------------

post Apr 22, 2009 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

well its a little late for this now, but what i have in my tool box at work is a sharpie. whenever i have to change out a steering angle sensor, i mark the 12 o'clock position on the main steering shaft and the wheel so i get the wheel put back on in the right spot. all you can do at this point is count how many turns it takes to go from complete left to complete right, then divide that by 2. it should get approximately where you need it. i would start there and see what you can do. i'd recommend putting the front on jack stands to make it easy to turn the wheel without the car on and that way its easier to take off and put on the wheel in the spot you need without turning the car on.

hope that helps and if there's anything else i may be able to help you with, give me a holler.
post Apr 22, 2009 - 11:25 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

yeah the wheel is supposed to be very tight.. use an impact gun to bolt it in or get a big socket 24mm and up and put it around the bolt so it sits on the wheel and carefully hammer it in place.. i dunno just throwing out some ideas...

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2009 - 11:50 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Apr 23, 2009 - 12:25 AM) *
yeah the wheel is supposed to be very tight.. use an impact gun to bolt it in or get a big socket 24mm and up and put it around the bolt so it sits on the wheel and carefully hammer it in place.. i dunno just throwing out some ideas...

it didn't look that big, maybe a 17mm. impact gun works awesome, but if you're in a pinch, a long handled ratchet or breaker bar will do while you hold onto the wheel tight.

This post has been edited by windowlicker: Apr 22, 2009 - 11:51 PM
post Apr 23, 2009 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
reko

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '07
From Montreal, QC, Canada
Currently Offline

That's the thing... i have a garage, impact gun and a big ass compressor but my car is at home ... without the steering! F*** I guess i'll have to try with the ratchet (then if its tight enough i'll be able to drive all the way to my garage...)

And Windowlicker, i know about the mark but i'm putting a new steering on!

--------------------

post May 1, 2009 - 10:21 AM
+Quote Post
chacha

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 29, '05
From So-Cal
Currently Offline

what's the part number for the clock spring....all i have is just the steering wheel without it...would it be best just to find a 7th gen clock spring? is that all i need and just splicing?
post Jun 4, 2009 - 7:55 PM
+Quote Post
Superaison

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 25, '09
From Ohio, USA
Currently Offline

I did this today.

Was really easy, I didnt **** with the airbag refill, I just changed the connector on the current spiral to the new, was fast and easy.

Here is pic:

You don't want to know how much I got it for.

This post has been edited by Superaison: Jun 4, 2009 - 8:46 PM

--------------------
I still own my celica, but i'm parting it out and junking it.. Or selling as a whole. Have a honda prelude now :(
post Jun 5, 2009 - 1:57 AM
+Quote Post
Dragondog

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '07
From Lubbock, Texas
Currently Offline

i got a question if you swap wheels with one thats not airbag is that illegal? will it pass inspection? someone told me it depends on the year of the car that 94+ must have driver airbag........my home state is texas if that makes a diff?

--------------------

feedback
feedback
If I buy or sale please leave me feedback...thanks
cheap, quick, reliable, pick two
I treat my 6gc better then my own woman
post Jun 7, 2009 - 9:09 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

here's some pics of the nrg wheel, nrg quick release, and the sparco hub installed. i really like the position of it as i won't have to be reaching for it when i have the seat reclined in order for me to fit in the car with a helmet on. still need to figure out how to wire up the horn, but i'm lazy....lol

post Jun 7, 2009 - 9:12 PM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Dragondog @ Jun 5, 2009 - 2:57 AM) *
i got a question if you swap wheels with one thats not airbag is that illegal? will it pass inspection? someone told me it depends on the year of the car that 94+ must have driver airbag........my home state is texas if that makes a diff?

i'd check your state's dmv website and see if anything is on there about it or go to your local inspection shop and ask them. that would be your best bet because a lot of the time people just go off what they hear and it may or may not be the truth. better to hear it from whoever is making the laws or doing the inspections. good luck.

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 10:11 AM