+Quote Post
celica74

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '10
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 9, 2009 - 5:06 PM) *
QUOTE (Hafkai @ Nov 9, 2009 - 3:55 PM) *
No issues at all, it depends on the injection and especially the ignition tuning how much a 7A will handle without braking something. I tuned my 7A to run with an afr of 11,5:1 at full boost and retarded the timing a lot. It's absolutely important to watch engine knock while tuning.
8 psi is pretty safe on a good tuned 7A, 10 psi is the max i would give a stock engine over a longer period of time, maybe 12-13 psi with an water injection.
If you want to go higher you have to lower the compression and get some stronger internals...

I do know stronger internals are eventually necessary, I just thought that point was past 8 PSI.

QUOTE (OOBE @ Nov 9, 2009 - 4:21 PM) *
WTF? I NEVER said that 8 PSI was the max on stock internals. I've had mine to 15 PSI. laugh.gif

The "mechanical engineer" guy was the one that said that. I was the one that broke that myth here years ago about the 7A-FE not being able to handle more than 7 PSI.

OOBE, you lied to me! wink.gif Okay, good then. What I'm really looking for is not necessarily a max, but a good point for a DD. What do you run daily?

So both of you guys, push the hell out of your engines so Ferdi has plenty of study material!

Pressure and volume of air are a completely different thing. You can run a small turbo and boost 12, 14, 16psi all day long, yea itll spool up insanely fast. But if you run a bigger turbo and boost 6, 8, 10psi (same power as small turbo boost) it wont spool as fast. Yea that guy that told you that was correct to some extent, that extent is how big or small your turbo is.

I have a 94 st with a newly swapped 95 7afe in it with only 124k miles. 4afe turbo kit sitting up in my room (yes 4afe exhaust and 7afe are the same) just waiting on injectors and fuel pressure regulator and im hiding in my garage for a weekend to install it. Anyone know if brown top (93-96 325cc 2jzge) injectors will work fine? And i need a good piggyback or way of tuning. Any cheap ideas?
post Jun 25, 2010 - 3:55 AM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

QUOTE (celica74 @ Jun 24, 2010 - 12:57 AM) *
And i need a good piggyback or way of tuning. Any cheap ideas?

Cheap and good doesn't work wink.gif .. the e-manage blue would be cheap but not the best choice, the e-manage ultimate is more expensive but you can tune the engine pretty safe. The best way would be a standalone but that would be extremely expensive and hard to tune.

I got some nice parts waiting to get in the engine, hopefully i'm able to rebuild the engine before winter smile.gif

post Jun 25, 2010 - 9:53 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Ooooh...upgraded pistons, rods, and new gaskets and belts...I like it!

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Jun 25, 2010 - 9:54 AM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jun 26, 2010 - 9:32 AM
+Quote Post
celica74

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '10
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Hafkai @ Jun 25, 2010 - 4:55 AM) *
QUOTE (celica74 @ Jun 24, 2010 - 12:57 AM) *
And i need a good piggyback or way of tuning. Any cheap ideas?

Cheap and good doesn't work wink.gif .. the e-manage blue would be cheap but not the best choice, the e-manage ultimate is more expensive but you can tune the engine pretty safe. The best way would be a standalone but that would be extremely expensive and hard to tune.

I got some nice parts waiting to get in the engine, hopefully i'm able to rebuild the engine before winter smile.gif

Anyone got any good ideas on injectors? Was looking into brown tops from a 7mge, anything seem to work better?
post Oct 13, 2010 - 4:59 AM
+Quote Post
normality78

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 27, '05
Currently Offline

Hafkai bro,
I've sold my previous 7afte (stock engine, wrx td04-13t, emanage blue, Ron97) to my friend. On my hand, im boosting 1.1bar for 2 years and now with him another 2 years. So far no issue except head gasket burnt once.

now im going to go for it again except with IHI Vf35 turbo and standalone haltech sprint 500. Will push to 1.3bar and see how it go. smile.gif since you're going to rebuilt, why not push it to max?
post Oct 16, 2010 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

Sadly it's to late to push the stock engine to max kindasad.gif .. last week a rod bearing failed, now i got a broken rod and a big hole in the block..... looks like a oil problem. I already got a new block and most of the stuff i need to completely rebuild it, i just need new bearings.

But the engine can handle a good amount of power without problems. I was trackracing the last 2 years with the turbo, this year with about 230HP and over 300Nm, i just should have changed the bearings wink.gif
post Oct 16, 2010 - 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
malpaso

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 3, '06
From Czech Republic (Europe)
Currently Offline

I had my old 7AFTE tuned to the limits on OEM internals as well so this project is for me real nostalgia... I hope your car will be running again soon and luckily we meet in Poland on Pan European Celica Meeting next year.

--------------------
No more replicas... This is evolution... This is SS-four :)

________[Featured Celica of 6gc.net @ 2010]_________
post Nov 14, 2010 - 4:11 PM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

After taking the old engine apart i found out that the bearing wasn't the cause of the thrown rod, it looks like the spark plug overheatet extremely, the electrode began to glow and i got the worst of it all... pre-ignition. I'm not shure what caused the plug to overheat, i don't think it was a fuel problem but i will let the injectors get checked.

Here is a pic of the spark plug and some of the rest of the engine:

The new block is getting machined this week and a new cylinderhead is allmost done, i just have to polish the combustion chambers and finish the ports.

post Nov 14, 2010 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
Johnnyny

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 28, '09
From York pa
Currently Offline

wow that plug looks horrible but im glad ur continuing the build
post Dec 25, 2010 - 5:50 AM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

The new block is ready and the head just needs to be put together.

Finished exhaust port

post Jan 2, 2011 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

i cant wait to see the results

--------------------
post Jan 3, 2011 - 7:37 AM
+Quote Post
jeffrosie

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 11, '08
From Surrey Unitedkingdom
Currently Offline

Been folowing this with great interest. Hope you find out what caused that plug to melt and looks like that new forged engine will give you even more power with the biger turbo and a little more boost.
post Jan 13, 2011 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
97celica_st

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 11, '11
From Hollis Maine
Currently Offline

Where did you find the forged pistons and rings? and is it the stock crankshaft?
post Jan 13, 2011 - 11:40 AM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

You got a PN about the pistons smile.gif

The crankshaft is still the stock one, there are no alternatives anyway wink.gif but this part would be the last to fail on this engine..
post Jul 8, 2011 - 5:29 PM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

The project is still alive but everything takes much longer than expected.. the new engine is ready to get in the car, the stock ecu and the e-manage ultimate got replaced by a EMS 6860. Hopefully the engine will be in the car next week, a new rediator + Spal fan will follow and some modifications to the exhaust and intercooler piping are needed to fit the slightly larger T28 turbo.

Some pics from the last months:

post Dec 5, 2011 - 8:44 AM
+Quote Post
malpaso

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 3, '06
From Czech Republic (Europe)
Currently Offline

Any update? smile.gif

--------------------
No more replicas... This is evolution... This is SS-four :)

________[Featured Celica of 6gc.net @ 2010]_________
post Dec 5, 2011 - 1:53 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Hafkai @ Jul 8, 2011 - 5:29 PM) *

boobs!!!

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Dec 5, 2011 - 3:30 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Dec 5, 2011 - 1:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Hafkai @ Jul 8, 2011 - 5:29 PM) *

boobs!!!

Omg how did you see that? Lmao! ADHD much?

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-S 5S-FE 190k Miles. Project car
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5S-FE 170k Miles. Daily driver/beater
1999 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE 216K Miles. RIP You will be missed.

*ASE Certified General Manager
post Dec 5, 2011 - 3:44 PM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

QUOTE (malpaso @ Dec 5, 2011 - 2:44 PM) *
Any update? smile.gif

Nothing too exciting.. the engine is in the car with the T28 turbo, i got everything done to start the engine but had lots of trouble with the ignition.
The engine fired right up but died immediately, everytime ... i played with the fuel map, turned the distributor in every position but the engine wouldn`t run.
Here's a short video: Vimeo

I decided to completely remove the old ignition system and build me a coil on plug system. I will use a Avensis 7A-FE distributor as crank angle(24 instead of 4 teeth) and sync pickup. The coils are from Bosch (part#: 0 221 504 024), since they're dumb coils withouh build in igniters i have to use an external (part# 0 227 100 211)
Those coils fit quite well, the only problem could be the hood since they're connectors face in that direction ......

I hope i'll have some time soon to install this stuff.

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Dec 5, 2011 - 7:53 PM) *
boobs!!!

laugh.gif .. it's really hard to make pics without them in this garage wink.gif

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 9:04 AM